• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schools for Jazz Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coloradomacs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Schools for Jazz Trumpet Reply with quote

I'm currently in high school and was just wondering what some of the best schools for jazz are, currently I'm looking at UNT, DePaul, Frost, and some others I was looking for some other ideas and suggestions, thanks!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days many are good but I'd add Indiana, William Paterson, Manhattan School, New School, Juilliard, New England Conservatory, USC, and Berklee.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of jazz are you most interested? Who are some of your favorite current artists? A few of them have seats at schools, and you could study directly under someone you really want to play like.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best schools for jazz?

The city of New Orleans….. Detroit….. Chicago

Just to name a few.

Nicolas Payton can flesh that out. (Youtube)
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the lists of finalists from the major trumpet competitions (NTC, ITG, Carmine Caruso, Monk Contest, etc.) and see where the they studied. MSM, Juillard, Eastman, UNT, IU, temple, UMiami, and SUNY Purchase all seem to be well-represented on the competition circuit.

If one of your favorite players is on faculty somewhere, depending on how busy they are with touring, you might not have access to them, so be cautious when deciding on a school purely based on faculty. You'll learn more from your peers than teachers, so just try to go to the best school you get into, and that you can afford.

Music school is not the only way to develop as a musician, and you might even find more growth by following a "regular" college career path and taking private lessons (in-person or online) from a good teacher.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on a broader scale, it might be helpful to also consider where you're going to live most productively.

Is the energy and excitement of a megalopolis stimulating or overwhelming to you? Is a more laid back environment allowing you to concentrate better or is it boring? What about cost of living?

To a high school person, these kinds of things may not come quickly to mind. There are many non-musical parameters to be aware of.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
aboici

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied at New School in NYC for a couple years back in 2014 when I got out of high school. My opinion is to go wherever they give you the most scholarship money if you can apply for it.

The price of tuition for going to one of these schools is not worth what you get out of it in my opinion. I'm not knocking the education system, but you could study privately with a teacher and get almost as much out of it.

I knew players in NYC that were killer players that weren't attending college. Hope this helps.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak to Berklee within the last 10 - 15 years. When I was in college (late '70's) Berklee was the place. My son, also a trumpet player, attended Berklee and graduated from there in 2012. If his graduation was any indication, I would consider another school for jazz. The featured band at that graduation was the Eagles and of the Berklee students that performed in the various groups for that graduation, there was only one trumpet player and one saxophone player.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to UNT (NTSU) in the early 1980's. It is a state school, so tuition was pretty reasonable back then. The first year was kind of expensive because I was from out of state. But the second year my wife became a Texas resident and my tuition went WAY down.

I had been a big fish in a little pond (puddle) and applied for an assistantship. I of course did not get that. After a few weeks there I realized how ludicrous it was that I even applied.

I was surrounded by amazing players. It was somewhat intimidating, but also very inspirational. Everybody was practicing their a$$ off. There were 2 buildings with nothing but practice rooms and they were in use 24/7.

My experience there was definitely awesome. I learned where I fit in the real world of music, and I learned an incredible amount while I was there that has helped me in my gigging and teaching.

I imagine any of the big time music schools would provide the same experience.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm writing this comment for potential college students, since the OPP's post obviously was not a burning issue.

There is another alternative and that is, if you find a state school that you've got your heart on, move to that state and declare residence. I believe for most it's a year residency, which may be a logical trade-off, considering the cost.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
aboici

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Well, I'm writing this comment for potential college students, since the OPP's post obviously was not a burning issue.

There is another alternative and that is, if you find a state school that you've got your heart on, move to that state and declare residence. I believe for most it's a year residency, which may be a logical trade-off, considering the cost.

Agreed. In terms of networking and overall experience, all the schools you listed are top notch. If cost wasn't a big factor to someone, i'd be looking at these schools.

OP, I'd audition to as many of these schools as you can to see what you'd be offered as most of the schools with Jazz programs offer scholarships after the audition process. Never know until you try!
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add UTexas to your list.

You'd study with me, and you'd be in Austin, TX. There's an amazing scene here with tons of different kinds of work, jazz clubs, record dates, touring, etc.

Other than NYC and New Orleans, there's really no place like it in terms of being able to make a living playing your instrument.

I'll echo a sentiment I read above - DO NOT go into crazy amounts of debt for a jazz trumpet degree.

Last edited by Mike Sailors on Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

A lot of schools these days give out-of-state tuition waivers as part of their scholarship package.

If not that, they will allow you to pay in-state tuition then declare residency at the end of your first year.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real moral to tht story is - check all options and don't expect policies the same from school.

For Instance, when I went to UNT, as long as you were in school, you couldn't count that as residency time to be eligible for Texas citizenship. Just ask, clarify, and be sure.

There's another alternative, too, regarding residency. When I got a Graduate Assistanceship, my out-of-state tuition was waived.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
Add UTexas to your list.

You'd study with me, and you'd be in Austin, TX. There's an amazing scene here with tons of different kinds of work, jazz clubs, record dates, touring, etc.

Other than NYC and New Orleans, there's really no place like it in terms of being able to make a living playing your instrument.

I'll echo a sentiment I read above - DO NOT go into crazy amounts of debt for a jazz trumpet degree.

Shinyribs! The Tijuana Trainwreck Horns!
Ron Appel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who is currently putting his daughter through college, I would recommend that you look closely at what is required to establish residency and qualify for in-state tuition. If mom and dad send their son or daughter to another state to go to school, and the parents are still paying all the bills, then just living in another state for a year won't establish residency because they're still considered as your dependent. This might not be true everywhere. In our case, all 3 of us moved to the "new" state because my wife and I wanted to retire there so our daughter got in-state tuition after 12 months.

OK - this is my official required post in order to list a horn for sale in the marketplace.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you plan to do with the degree? Play or teach ?
josephpayne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the best schools for jazz include Manhattan School of Music, The New School, The Juilliard School, New England Conservatory, University of Rochester, Oberlin Conservatory of Music, and Indiana University Jacobs School of Music. Other top schools for jazz are Columbia University, Northwestern University, and Berklee College of Music. These schools provide excellent programs for jazz education and performance, and can help students build a strong foundation in the field.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephpayne wrote:
Some of the best schools for jazz include Manhattan School of Music, The New School, The Juilliard School, New England Conservatory, University of Rochester, Oberlin Conservatory of Music, and Indiana University Jacobs School of Music. Other top schools for jazz are Columbia University, Northwestern University, and Berklee College of Music. These schools provide excellent programs for jazz education and performance, and can help students build a strong foundation in the field.

Are you aware of how many top players came out of University of North Texas?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Chris OHara
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw it out there, Elmhurst University has a fantastic jazz program. The Elmhurst Jazz Festival brings in top international artists every year and our Jazz Trumpet Professor/Director of Jazz Studies, Kirk Garrison, is amazing.
www.elmhurst.edu/music
www.chrisjohara.com
www.alliancebrass.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: