• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adam leadpipe playing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Adam leadpipe playing? Reply with quote

Is the leadpipe playing in the Adam universe with or without the mouthpiece? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the mouthpiece. It strikes me as odd that anyone would even have this question....not taunting you in any way. It is rare that I hear a new question, but this is one I've never heard. Cool.

Also, we only play the pitches that are slotted acoustically to the length of a particular leadpipe. We do not play notes between those pitches. We "blow the pipe" rather than thinking of it as some type of buzzing. For a Bach Bb trumpet standard leadpipe (not the reverse Bach pipe) the pitch we all play is approximately a concert Eb. More advanced players might eventually play the F concert a major 9th above that. Very advanced players might play some notes higher than that eventually. However, many advanced players only play the fundamental note.

And this isn't a major thing we do. In the early days (the days when Charlie Davis, Jerry Hey, Larry Hall, Bob Platt, etc were in the studio) Adam hadn't started the leadpipe drills. That came sometime in the late '70s. Today, most of us play 10 or 12 long tones on the pipe first thing in the day and then we are ready to put the slide back in and go. If I don't play for several hours, I might play a little on the pipe again before I go into a second practice session or walk to the stage.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing the pipe is tailored by the teacher for each individual student. This isn't something you can figure out on your own. This is why Adam never wrote a method book; something which undoubtedly could have made him a considerable amount of money.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy - what's so complex about a well-centered blow on one pitch? Doesn't seem to me like something requiring supervision.

Phil, thanks. And ref the question, there are all kinds of weird things on the web that are new to me.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Billy - what's so complex about a well-centered blow on one pitch? Doesn't seem to me like something requiring supervision.

Phil, thanks. And ref the question, there are all kinds of weird things on the web that are new to me.

I could take you ten different ways on just the lead pipe but if it works for you then by all means do it!

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: