• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question for Jeff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Question for Jeff Reply with quote

I have been wondering lately about how to use your book now that I’m more pleased with the progress I’ve made in last few years. Do people keep beating the exercises or go back when issues arrive. I’ll admit I just used them to see what helped and what didn’t. Worked what helped and ignored what didn’t. I found good control to a hi f and abillit to work higher. Always had good lower register and great tone, extended range was my goal. I always felt the discovery inyour method was the pearl. I roll in bottom lip on an upstream setup and this works real good for me. Do you feel the exercises are as important as the discovery in my instance. The exercises seem non prOductive these days.
Rod
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod, here is the way I see it.

Players who try out exercises in BE, and keep what they want and ignore the rest, are missing the bigger picture. Rather, there are stages of development that players go through. At certain stages of development, the value of different exercises kick in. So, it is always better to get good at all the exercises, because they work together. In the early stages, this may not be apparent. The player at an early stage doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Here is a common example, exemplified by Dave Perrico. In the early stages of BE, Dave had wonderful success with the RO exercises, so he ignored the RI exercises. However, after a few years - yes YEARS - he realized that something was missing in his overall lip range of motion, so he put the RI exercises back in. He noticed a big difference.

I disagree with your term "beating the exercises." That implies mindlessly repeating the same thing every day, in hopes that a change will take place. Yes, it is important to keep doing the exercises every day. However, it is better to keep pushing the envelope on each exercise, as explained in the book, and to organize the daily routine in a way that will optimize the results.

Players who have difficulty understanding how to do this - and there are many - should email me directly and I will help them get the most out of the exercises.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff yes I think your experience helps!

I’m guilty as anyone in trying to get what I need as easily as possible, and the success I’ve found so far was the 1st significant change I’d found after many many changes. I will re-examine my thinking on this. At nearly 70 you must excuse my laziness somewhat.
Thanks again
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: