• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

tuning slide grease...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: tuning slide grease... Reply with quote

This may be a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone happens to know of a slide grease that's a little thicker than the "Regular" UltraPure tuning slide lube, but not quite as extreme as their "Heavy" variant.

They don't seem to offer anything in between, and the latter is so thick and tacky that you can barely get the slide back on after applying it without cutting it with valve oil, plus it's almost impossible to get off your fingers afterward, like the stuff they put on flypaper.

I have a reverse leadpipe horn with a slide just a bit on the loose side with the regular stuff, but the Heavy from Ultrapure is overkill.

Most people probably haven't encountered this issue, but I'm looking for some other brand that might work. I'd rather not have to get the slide tweaked by a repairman for such a minor issue, unless I have to.

Last edited by RandyTX on Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Ultra Pure Regular and Heavy, and the Monster Tuning slide grease, which seems close to the UP Regular. Check with Trent Austin at Austin Custom Brass and see what they recommend. They sell many different slide grease products and could surely recommend something "in between."
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy, I use Berp Bio Oil. It has several different strengths which can be used accordingly. I think Austin sells it and could surely give you more specific advice. I use piston valve oil, rotary valve oil and slide oil depending on where I use it.

Since the oils have different strengths, you're very likely to find exactly what you need.

https://berp.com/

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a tub of pure lanolin at the local pharmacy and I heat some up in the microwave and add a bit of Vaseline. Makes a perfect slide grease and you can make it the consistency that suits you. Plus, for a couple of dollars, you will have enough to last you a lifetime.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy TX,

I have used Spacefiller TS for several decades. Works extremely well on a super loose 3rd valve dump slide keeping it in place, but not a problem to still use like usual as a dump. I use it undiluted on that and my main tuning slide, diluted with Spacefiller Valve Oil on the others.

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Randy, I use Berp Bio Oil. It has several different strengths which can be used accordingly. I think Austin sells it and could surely give you more specific advice. I use piston valve oil, rotary valve oil and slide oil depending on where I use it.

Since the oils have different strengths, you're very likely to find exactly what you need.

https://berp.com/

I didn't look too hard, but I only saw one version of the Berp BioLube for slides. The text on the page describes it as a "lightweight grease substitute" so it probably won't meet Randy's requirements.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can slide the items back and forth for more choices. You can also mouse-click on an item and it will open to a window with more options. Jump around the site.

If you're uncomfortable with the site, just call ACB. They use Berp oils/creams on their products.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: