• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

First (in a long while) Orchestra Performance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: First (in a long while) Orchestra Performance Reply with quote

I thought I'd post regarding my first orchestral experience since high school.

I'd always kind of avoided playing in an orchestra, and there were a few reasons for that.

1. Equipment - most orchestras require that you own a C trumpet, and I hadn't owned once since 1997 when I sold off just about everything I had to generate the cash to buy the first brand new, non-hand-me-down horn I'd ever owned, and among those trumpets was a Yamaha C trumpet. I'd used it a couple of times in church situations where the part was specifically written for C, but otherwise, it just kind of sat there unused.

2. The ability to sight transpose. I'm not gonna lie - this is not a skill I've ever cultivated, and the idea that I'd have to sight-transpose on the fly kind of scares me. You'd think that at my age and experience that at some point I'd have worked on it, but I just never did.

3. Past experience with orchestras. Granted, the only orchestras I'd played with were as a teenager at the Rocky Mountain Summer Music Camp (yes, "this one time, at band camp....") where I played in the symphonic orchestra one year, and I unofficially played with the honor orchestra another year. (A friend of mine was in the honor orchestra and I just started going to rehearsals with him about mid-week. I even played the concert with them. ) These orchestras had kids between about ages 13-18 sawing away on their violins, violas, cellos and basses. To say it wasn't exactly a mature sound is a bit of an understatement.

Saturday evening's performance with the Londontown Symphony Orchestra was a whole other situation. There are some heavy hitters playing in this group. There a handful of retired members of the DC area's premier military bands, and I think the solo clarinetist is actually IN the US Army Field Band - she's astonishingly good.

This was our concert lineup,

First Half: (Latin Themed)
Danza Fantastica - (1916) Enriqe Soros
El choclo & La cuparsita - A. Villoldo & G. Matos Rodriguez, arr Alejandro Drago
Tico Tico - Zequinha de Abreu, arr Walter "Jocho" Velasquez
El Cumbanchero - Rafael Hernandez, arr Albert Gonzales
Conga De Fuego Nueva - Arturo Marquez

Second Half:
Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 4 in F Minor

I have to say, I had a blast doing it, and I came away reinvigorated about playing trumpet. I haven't been this excited about playing trumpet in a good long bit, and it feels good to actually want to hit the practice room to re-refine some skills that have started to degrade a bit over time.

I don't ever want to stay too long at the party - I know some once-fine brass players who have hung on a bit past their expiration date, but I think that at age 51 I've still got a bit of time left before I get to that point, and after a couple of decades chasing money gigging in big bands and dance bands, it feels good to play again for the love of the music.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update to this - here's a short clip that was recorded of the concert - it's only 40 seconds or so, but I thought it sounded pretty solid.

https://soundcloud.com/trickg/tchaikovsky-4-clip-lso
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small world. My daughter played a solo with the orchestra right before Covid struck. The orchestra sounded good then and sounds good now on your posted recording. Trumpets are solid!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhenrikse wrote:
Small world. My daughter played a solo with the orchestra right before Covid struck. The orchestra sounded good then and sounds good now on your posted recording. Trumpets are solid!

Here's the whole video that finally got posted - it's a fair bit better than what I posted.

The video won't embed to be viewed in the thread, but here's the link to the YT if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-YhKhCrLvg
- ACB Doubler

cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick! I really enjoyed!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It's just nice to be playing in a serious ensemble again. And I guess more to the point, it's nice to still have the ability to play in a serious ensemble. Not everyone can - this isn't like a community band where just anyone can jump in and play. I'm only there because my friend, a graduate of Peabody Conservatory of Music and the orchestra's principal trumpet player, vouched for me and brought me into it - something I'm very grateful for.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season - this coming concert is a pops concert - all the parts are written for Bb, but I don't know if we're going to transpose for C trumpet, or if we're just going to roll with Bb. It's up to my friend the principal to decide that.
- ACB Doubler

Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice video. Thanks and congratulations. Playing with an orchestra is the most difficult for me.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you in the trumpet section, Patrick ?

You will be getting some excellent experience with that orchestra, that's for sure.
There is quite a large local orchestra that, only recently, due to the lifting of covid restrictions, started practice sessions. Prior to covid, I was invited to one of the practice sessions by the conductor who also came and played at our community band now and then. But, honestly, I am smart enough to know when I am in over my head, and I was definitely that in this case. At my age, I am just happy playing with a brass band, and with a small jazz group.

But I have to hand it to you for going for it, Patrick. Best wishes.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the video is playing, left to right I'm almost in the center at the far left next to the horns when looking at it. My buddy playing principal is on the far right next to the trombones. Incidentally, at 6'1", I think I'm also the tallest one in the whole row. We're the row right in front of the percussion.
- ACB Doubler

GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it. You, a lady next to you and then your friend. You are a tall one...
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a tip.
If you are on a Bb and see a piece calling for trumpet in E, Herseth used to tell the members of the Civic orchestra playing Bbs to not think up an augmented 4th. Instead, think of going up a perfect 5th and then making that note a flat.
An example of this is if you see a written first line E, you go up a the to the B and make that a flat. In other words a Bb,
This method keeps you on a line or a space, just up a 5th with that note flattened.
He taught that to a friend of mine who studied with Bud privately and performed in the Civic and in the CSO trumpet section many times over the years.
The best thing is to have a C trumpet. That horn keeps you in the same keys as the strings and certain woodwinds.
R. Tomasek
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Here is a tip.
If you are on a Bb and see a piece calling for trumpet in E, Herseth used to tell the members of the Civic orchestra playing Bbs to not think up an augmented 4th. Instead, think of going up a perfect 5th and then making that note a flat.
An example of this is if you see a written first line E, you go up a the to the B and make that a flat. In other words a Bb,
This method keeps you on a line or a space, just up a 5th with that note flattened.
He taught that to a friend of mine who studied with Bud privately and performed in the Civic and in the CSO trumpet section many times over the years.
The best thing is to have a C trumpet. That horn keeps you in the same keys as the strings and certain woodwinds.
R. Tomasek

Interesting! Although cumbersome if the piece is in concert E minor, e.g. Dvorak New World symphony, as you then end up in Gb minor! I prefer to think in F# minor. Anyways, grab a C trumpet and life is good!
Cheers
Pierre
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

Nice. Thanks for posting. The orchestra sounded pretty good.

If it were me, I'd definitely get a C trumpet.

Enjoy it while you can.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Patrick Hasselbank

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Quick update to this - here's a short clip that was recorded of the concert - it's only 40 seconds or so, but I thought it sounded pretty solid.

There is no more videos from concert? Or it is illegal to make videos there? Because here in Germany every concert recording on video and officialy uploading on youtube.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Here is a tip.

Although I have an excellent C trumpet, I think the above is easier than C->E.

Then again, a D trumpet makes this one a walk in the park.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: First (in a long while) Orchestra Performance Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
2. The ability to sight transpose. I'm not gonna lie - this is not a skill I've ever cultivated, and the idea that I'd have to sight-transpose on the fly kind of scares me. You'd think that at my age and experience that at some point I'd have worked on it, but I just never did.

Yeah, a lot of people that haven't played much orchestral rep struggle with this one. Just this week, I was in a rehearsal for a group that's a rhythm section + plus horns, and they were trying out some written out charts with a new guitar player and vocalist.

They wanted to try a few of them in different keys. A few of us in the horns could read the 'ink' up or down a bit, the rest had to just stand there and hope once an answer was settled on they'd get new transposed parts for them. /shrug

It's not real common, but it's pretty handy to work this out a bit. A former teacher of mine advised me to get a church hymnal and practice reading up/down a whole step, half step, etc. in the beginning of my transposing, because the melodies are familiar to most people, at least the more common hymns. They're also fairly simple, making it easier to get a handle on and if you make a transposition error, you hear it immediately as a 'wrong' note and correct.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Hasselbank wrote:
trickg wrote:

There is no more videos from concert? Or it is illegal to make videos there? Because here in Germany every concert recording on video and officialy uploading on youtube.

Yeah - I posted a link to the full video further up in the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-YhKhCrLvg

Grits - I bought a C trumpet before my first rehearsal - nothing fancy, just a Brasspire Unicorn, but it's actually a pretty solid horn, especially for the money. If I get more serious about it, I suppose I can justify getting something better along the way.

I appreciate the support and comments. Thanks!
- ACB Doubler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: