• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tricks for ebay sales?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Tricks for ebay sales? Reply with quote

Anybody have any tips for maximizing profit off an eBay trumpet sale?
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post it here and save the fees.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here (TH), Reverb, Consignment (I've had good luck with ACB but there are quite a few reputable shops, search TH, that also will sell for you). My days of eBay are over. As far as tricks of maximizing profits I look at the whole process, including my time invested.

For me, a consignment fee is worth it for not having to put up with the possible issues that can come from eBay. Actually, almost any 'blind' private internet sale can have its issues and at this point I don't need them. Letting someone that is in the business make a few Dollars/Pounds/Deutschmarks/etc. is a good idea. It helps small music businesses and it makes it easy.

I really miss the days of going into a local music store and just looking around and being able to try out a couple of horns. To me there is nothing like 'test driving' different models one after another. Enough of memory lane! You have a lot of options.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:
I really miss the days of going into a local music store and just looking around and being able to try out a couple of horns. To me there is nothing like 'test driving' different models one after another. Enough of memory lane! You have a lot of options.

+1 I really miss the serious "test drives"! My Benge was #1 out of 6 that I tried out in one day back in 1971 with my teacher! I played tested a ton of Yamaha 6335s (with 3 respected player friends advising) in the mid 80s before I bought "the one"! Getting to have some one on one time with the brand Sales Reps (most were decent to great players themselves) was priceless as well!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
katelynncb00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions! Its just so hard to reach the demographic specific to my instrument.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I may have misread your focus in the original post. When you said "tricks to maximize profits", I may have thought you were trying to misrepresent your sales.

If you check the Conn Loyalist site, C. Dirksen offers this advice:
https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArticle33.html

I personally have sold hundreds of instruments over the years, and make an attempt to focus on selling to knowledgeable buyers. If you see any of my listings, you will probably notice I am overly wordy, but I just can't help myself!

But I do try to be clear and informative in my write up. Start your listing with a a title with a short positive descriptive word like Beautiful.... and then a specific description of the item, putting as much information in as few words as possible. In the detailed writeup in the body of the ad, I include information about finish, condition, bore size, bell size, any details of special features, likely year of production, any issues, mouthpiece included, case, etc. You need to be ready with information including the shipping weight and shipping dimensions and what shipping methods you are agreeable to. Also consider whether you are going to include shipping in your price, or charge extra for shipping AND INSURANCE. I just shipped a rare Monette I sold for a friend and realized it was the most valuable thing I ever handed to a stranger (at FEDEX) since my daughter married her (now) ex husband! Wish I had insurance on that one, but love those grandkids!

Finally, pictures. Forget the urge to put your horn on some artsy background. Get a place and lighting where you can clearly see the details. Be sure to have full length pictures of both sides of the horn, and details of the parts, as well as full disclosure of flaws as well as good points. Then, when you post the pictures, be sure to notice which shot is the one posted in your listing. The eBay default is your LAST picture. I don't know how many ads I have seen with the feature shot being ragged case, and the listings continues to get relisted for months with no interest.

Also, if you have not established an eBay seller rating, you might sell a few items first to get positive feedback ratings. Nothing closes a deal like a good reputation.

I know I probably left out a few of my "tricks", but typing on this phone drives me NUTS!
dan_ostler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thread, given that I'm about to sell my collection. I'm getting vibes that eBay may not be the first choice for selling instruments. Does their webspace weight overwhelm the obvious benefits of a site like this or not??
Olds Mendez, Clark Terry Flugel
Old Ambassador Cornet, Trumpet
Olds Mellophonium
(Is there a pattern emerging here??)
Hanns Hainlein 1632 Replica, MF Firebird
(I guess not......)
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ostler wrote:
An interesting thread, given that I'm about to sell my collection. I'm getting vibes that eBay may not be the first choice for selling instruments. Does their webspace weight overwhelm the obvious benefits of a site like this or not??

I have been selling fairly frequently on eBay for about 22 years, almost entirely horns and accessories, and all of it personal stuff I find, try out, and work on. Since the first of the year, eBay has been changed a lot, in that now eBay handles all the money, and tightly controls buyers and sellers identities until the sale is made and paid, and the sale is paid for. EBay holds the money until the item is delivered to the shipper, and for beginning sellers, possibly until the buyer has received it.

If I were starting out, I would sell about a dozen or so smaller items, like mouthpieces or mutes or even household books or other items to build up a good feedback ratings. You may have to send out emails to buyers in the interest of being sure they are happy with your service and soliciting feedback, since probably only about 75 % of buyers just don't bother.

Fees and eBay commissions are running about 15%, and eBay collects sales tax and holds the taxes in escrow for sellers, now, as well. But I find that with the enormous marketplace and eBay's protection and shipping discounts if you use their shipping (especially Global shipping), I am money ahead.

DO NOT SHIP UNTIL EBAY CONFIRMS THE PAYMENT IS MADE, AND DON'T JUST READ IT ON YOUR EMAIL, BUT LOG INTO YOUR EBAY ACCOUNT TO BE SURE IT IS FROM EBAY! It is a mean and largely anonymous world these days.

I reuse boxes if possible, and have my own postal scale which set me back about $40 (on eBay) and also trim boxes down to fit (or get 2 small storage boxes and tape them end to end, which both saves money and gives better protection. My exception to the packing and shipping is for anything over about $2500, and for that I use FedEx packing and shipping as they would sell more insurance. Insure every sale for as close to full price as possible.
Boston4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful advice in here - thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: