• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece Dfferences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
llangston1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece Dfferences Reply with quote

So after my recent Facebook purchase of another trumpet I now have 4 mouthpieces. Can someone tell me the primary differences between them and what I should expect to see in horn performance. So I have a Schilke 12 that came with my Olds Recording when my parents purchased it in ‘67 for me in 10th grade. I can’t remember why this was the MP I got. I also have an Amazon clone Bach 3C. This other horn came with a real Bach 5C and a Schilke 20. I will say the Schilke 12 has a much fatter rim than either of the Bach MPs but the 5C is smoother than the clone. I haven't tried the 20 yet as it looks huge compared to the others.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but why are you asking us when you already have the mouthpieces and can evaluate how you react to each of them, first hand? All you'll get from us is a somewhat varied response as to how they worked for us.

There's, of course, nothing wrong with the question if you don't have them. In that case, you don't have them and can't try them. But they're sitting right there in your lap.

Maybe I misread the post.

FYI, I played a Schilke H (11) for a long time. It is roughly the same as a Bach 7C. The standard size when you first got your mpc was a Bach 7C so that's the likely reason you got the Schilke.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
llangston1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just hoping others who have tried many more MPs than me might know the technical differences between and provide a “this is what should happen when you swap between them. If not that’s fine, I will compare them all eventually.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, broadly speaking, the shallower ones should sound a bit brighter, and can be expected to play a little easier in the upper register. The bigger/deeper ones will have a slightly fuller tone. But the differences in backbore, weight, etc. can all affect the repsonse, intonation, sound, etc. The GR Mouthpiece school has more information on the individual aspects of mouthpieces, though the combination of them also changes how they play.

However, kehaulani is right: how they'll work for you specifically is something only you (and maybe someone listening to you) can determine.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Schilke 20 is similar to a Bach 1C. These are considered to be quite large.

I have no choice but to play a large mouthpiece. If I could, I would play the Bach 5c and or the Bach 5B.

Bach and Schilke use different cup size and diameter numbering systems, have different stock throat diameters, and different stock backbores. The Schilkes generally insert farther into your receiver reducing the gap .

Mouthpiece charts quote the makers inside diameter measurements. Makers measure their mouthpieces at different points so using those measurements is sometimes not that helpful.

Instead, spend some time here:

https://www.trumpet.cloud/mpc/
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

llangston1 wrote:
... might know the technical differences between and provide a “this is what should happen when you swap between them. ...

--------------------------------------
The technical (dimensional) differences do have some general effect on how the mouthpieces 'work' - but the overwhelming concern is how a mpc fits on YOU and how it works with your manner of playing.

Start with the one that seems to fit and work reasonably well. Then after a few weeks/months try the others - it is typical that you can determine a mpc DOESN'T work very quickly, but it can take several days to determine that it is really working better.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: