• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piccolo larger diameter rim question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snorsworthy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Piccolo larger diameter rim question Reply with quote

Guys, I am a lifelong trombonist who came to trumpet later in life. I do better on a 1-size trumpet mouthpiece, for reference I play on a GR 1HX on my Bb and C trumpets and a GR 3HX on my Eb trumpet. For my piccolo trumpet I play a GR 64P-M and was wondering if I should be on a 66 or 67 size intstead on the piccolo. The 64-size is a bit constraining feeling but I do get a good sound and range on it. My piccolo is a Schilke P7-4, by the way.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different schools of thought as to choosing a mouthpiece as well as a rim for piccolo. Personally, I prefer to use as close to the same rim as possible on all my horns. While I don't have "the rim" that is copied and threaded onto the various mouthpieces I regularly use, all the rims are very similar to a Bach 1C, even for the piccolo, which coincidentally, is also a Schilke P7-4. I know a lot of players that use large mouthpieces for Bb an C, and then use smaller rims for the picc. I have tried this and for me, it doesn't work. I find the smaller rims uncomfortable and too constricting.

Since you seem to be playing on GR mouthpieces, have you tried contacting them for suggestions?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If sound, range and (in some ways most importantly) response are good on the smaller piece then I personally wouldn't change it.

With any mouthpiece change I'd be asking myself what the goal is - unless that constrained feeling comes with compromised performance, I'd probably be looking to increase my practice on that horn (and transitions to/from) to improve my comfort with a piece that works.

If performance dictates going bigger then that's another question entirely, but I tend to feel that many use pieces much larger than necessary and if the smaller size works well and a single consistent size is required I'd consider settling on the smaller rather than larger size - this is just my impression however, and my bias is significantly towards higher registers and horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: