• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Valve replating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Valve replating Reply with quote

AFAIK, Anderson no longer replates valves and Kanstul is out of business
...if I wanted to send my valves out to be replated and then fit them back to the horn myself, who would I work with?
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last I heard, Anderson still replates valves; they just no longer do the honing and lapping to fit them (their employee who did that retired).
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Halflip,
Thanks for that info...I looked at the website before I posted here and again after I read your post, but I can't find any info about valve replating...I guess I'll have to call them and inquire...

I wonder if there are any other people to consider?
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent my horn off to Dr. Valve. He will send it to Anderson to get the valves plated, but he will do the honing and lapping himself.

Greatly looking forward to getting my Super Recording back.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
Hi Halflip,
Thanks for that info...I looked at the website before I posted here and again after I read your post, but I can't find any info about valve replating...I guess I'll have to call them and inquire...

On anderson’s faq page they state “piston refits take 4-6 weeks, depending on work requested”. I suspect this is just something they missed when they stopped offering the service and scrubbed their website.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LittleRusty,
I'm not saying it isn't there, but I can't find any reference to valve plating on Anderson's FAQ page. Hence my question...
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anderson is taking a lot longer than 4-6 weeks right now. Another option is Osmun Music. They do the full range of valve work, including replating, in house.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
royjohn wrote:
Hi Halflip,

On anderson’s faq page they state “piston refits take 4-6 weeks, depending on work requested”. I suspect this is just something they missed when they stopped offering the service and scrubbed their website.

LittleRusty is correct. They haven't updated their FAQ page yet, but they have some 'pop-up' messages that appear when you access their home page. The first one says that they currently are not accepting "masking" jobs for complex decorative finishes (such as partial bead-blasted finishes or partial gold plating over engraved areas). When you close that one, a second pop-up appears stating the following:

"Piston Fitting Department Has Closed

To our loyal and valued piston fitting customers, we regret to inform you that, as of August 2018, we have closed our piston fitting department. Our 30 year technician has retired and at this time we do not have a replacement that can maintain our quality standards."

Since this happened in 2018, it's a little surprising that they haven't updated their FAQ page yet. Maybe they think they'll eventually hire a replacement for the retired expert.

As to an explicit statement that they plate valve pistons, I can't find one either. They just say that they do all kinds of plated finishes for brass instruments (silver, gold, nickel, etc.). Maybe they assume that since a valve piston is part of a brass instrument, and since they (used to) offer valve fitting as a service, valve plating is a 'given'.

At any rate, a number of the major restorers have taken up the slack by getting training in valve fitting or finding others who can do it, but they still go to Anderson for the actual plating. I've had a couple horns restored by various experts since 2018, and that's the procedure they now use.

Last edited by Halflip on Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:55 am; edited 3 times in total
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI. Charlie Melk is now doing valve jobs.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also contact Ed Strange at Badger State Repair & Supply
They do their own plating and fitting. I talked to Ed a few months ago.

https://badgerstatesupply.com/index.php?pg=contactus
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Valve replating Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
AFAIK, Anderson no longer replates valves and Kanstul is out of business
...if I wanted to send my valves out to be replated and then fit them back to the horn myself, who would I work with?

Reliable valve refitting requires that the casing be bored to a perfect cylinder.
So absent a honer, you're taking a chance it won't work right even after multiple build-ups in plate and a tight fit.
I've done it the wrong way once, (no honer) and gotten away with it, but I can think of a couple of examples of instruments brought to me with replated valves that didn't work because the first step was passed over.

It's worth trying yourself if the horn isn't rare or valuable just to see what happens.

Best,
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: