• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Superslick products and variations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mvbach37

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Superslick products and variations Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that Superslick has come out with their Alpha Synth oils and trombone cream/oil? They are really taking over the market. All the Superslick valve oils so far have different smells and characteritcs, (the ones that I tried so far). Their new Alpha Synth products claim to have a solvent or cleaner in them and it's a synthetic oil. Anyone know what oils have clearners or detergents in them? I just know Blue Juice and the Superslick Alpha Synth claims to have them in the oils. It's all probably just some marketing ploy or farce anyway. Wondering if Hetman and some other guys have them in their oils too. Synthetic oils seem to be all the rage nowadays. Besides, I'm finding that more and more people I talk to oil valves everytime they play anyway, including me now.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Superslick products and variations Reply with quote

mvbach37 wrote:
Has anyone noticed that Superslick has come out with their Alpha Synth oils and trombone cream/oil? They are really taking over the market.

News to me, so I question whether they are "taking over the market." I used to work music retail, and sold very few of these.

mvbach37 wrote:
All the Superslick valve oils so far have different smells and characteritcs, (the ones that I tried so far). Their new Alpha Synth products claim to have a solvent or cleaner in them and it's a synthetic oil. Anyone know what oils have clearners or detergents in them? I just know Blue Juice and the Superslick Alpha Synth claims to have them in the oils. It's all probably just some marketing ploy or farce anyway.

Considering that Blue Juice is considered to be a terrible oil by a decent amount of players and brass techs (and yes, some do like it) I question whether this would be an improvement, if true.

mvbach37 wrote:
Wondering if Hetman and some other guys have them in their oils too. Synthetic oils seem to be all the rage nowadays. Besides, I'm finding that more and more people I talk to oil valves everytime they play anyway, including me now.

Hetman, Ultra Pure, and Yamaha do not have any kind of detergent or cleaners in their oils, as far as I know.

Personally, I think oils work better if they focus on just lubricating. In my opinion - unlike a car engine, having a detergent in a valve oil provides little benefit. Oil circulates much more in a car engine and allows it to flush out whatever the cleaning agents dredge up. In brass valves, there's really minimal "circulation" of oil other than wherever it happens to flow toward and mostly stays on the piston and the casing. Whatever stuff the detergent "cleans" out stays in the valve casing. At best, it deposits somewhat on the bottom of the valve cap. However, if people oil from the bottom (not a great idea IMO) that all gets flushed back into the valve. Even if not, if you set the horn down at a bit of a downward angle in a case or a stand, that stuff is going to make it's way back into the valves.

It's better to just keep the horn relatively clean with more regular cleanings than using these kinds of oils. Fortunately, cleaning a trumpet is far easier than a car engine.

Also, synthetics do seem to be more popular. They do allow a bit more engineering and chemistry to the oil, maybe. In any case, I find I DON'T need to oil as frequently with these synthetics at all. In fact, they seem to function far better if you don't. Regularly? Yes. Daily? No.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
mvbach37

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I should say "taking over the market" but it seems that there are several "sub" varieties of valve oil that Superslick has. The ones I see are Superslick Professional light; Superslick Ultra valve, slide, key oil; Superslick Super Synth; Superslick "FAST" valve, slide, key oil; Superslick T2; Superslick 2000; Superslick Vsi (with silicone); and Superslick Alpha Synth. Note that the Superslick T2 and the LaTromba T2 are in similar looking bottles as well as the Superslick FAST and Al Cass FAST bottles look very similar as well. Also note that LaTromba make a "FAST" valve oil as well. I looked at all the Superslick oils and all bottles read manufacutred by American Way Manufacturing LLC so it sparked my curiosity.

I too think that the focus should be on lubrication as well, especially if you clean the valve every time you play, you don't neeed all that other "junk" in the oil. I can't really complain about most of the oils out there anymore since I oil every time I play but have noticed that some oils last longer than others if I don't oil every time I play, with some smelling worse than others. I actually did like the Blue juice pretty well to despite the smell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: