• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

RIP Jon Ruff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: RIP Jon Ruff Reply with quote

It it with great sadness that I mention the passing of Jon Ruff. Jon has been a member here, a Stomvi rep as well as a wonderful player and teacher. Scott Englebright posted this yesterday on Facebook: "I'm in total shock this morning as I just heard my good friend Jon Ruff passed away last night from being in a motorcycle accident outside of Vegas. I had so many good times hanging and playing with him. He was such a wonderful human being and amazing trpt player. Can't believe this has happened as he survived 3 heart attacks just a few yrs ago. I helped him pack when he moved from CA to AZ. Such a sad day, but I have tons of amazing memories with Jon being a goofball but making great music with him. Love you Jon. You will be forever missed."

Pete
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised to see this. I appreciated his contributions on here, and had a few brief direct communications with him. He was a nice person who avoided conflict while discussing complex subjects.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
HillBilly Joe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is horrible news, he was one of the good guys. Every interaction I had with him left me with a smile, as he was such a kind and sincere soul. RIP Jon.
Manchester Brass Pocket Trumpet
GR 62Z**, ACB TAZF
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HillBilly Joe wrote:
This is horrible news, he was one of the good guys. Every interaction I had with him left me with a smile, as he was such a kind and sincere soul. RIP Jon.

"one of the good guys", can't say it any better than that.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news, Jon was a thoughtful and helpful contributor on TH (his ID is rufflicks), and his youtube videos contain good info.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Bigelow-Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: RIP Jon Ruff Reply with quote

To say I was shocked and saddened to hear the news of Jon's tragic accident and passing is a huge understatement. Jon was "larger than life" and for years all I heard about in the Air Force was Jon Ruff. Then I was lucky enough to be stationed with him at Yokota AB Japan in 2004-2005. I was the new senior enlisted manager of the band and had only been in my new office 10 minutes before there was a panicked pounding on my door -- yes, it was Jon Ruff telling me I had to get him out of Japan and back to California.

Jon could be a handful but I wish I'd had 5 more trumpet players that could play anywhere near his abilities. There are so many great stories and experiences we shared in our 13 months working together; and only Jon Ruff could make the King of Thailand laugh with his side-handed comments.

We remained friends since that first day and chatted often, his humor, advice and friendship will be forever missed. Love ya bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTDLepss0mQ
Jon Yates
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Jon Ruff Reply with quote

Bigelow-Kid wrote:
Jon was "larger than life" and for years all I heard about in the Air Force was Jon Ruff. Then I was lucky enough to be stationed with him at Yokota AB Japan in 2004-2005. I was the new senior enlisted manager of the band and had only been in my new office 10 minutes before there was a panicked pounding on my door -- yes, it was Jon Ruff telling me I had to get him out of Japan and back to California.

This definitely put a smile on my face for the first time since I heard the news. We're all shocked and saddened at his passing. I am privileged to have known him and will miss him a great deal. RIP Jon.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge loss for the trumpet playing community. I didn't know him personally, but really enjoyed his valuable contributions to our craft, be it here on TH, YouTube, or elsewhere. I'll miss him for sure. RIP Jon.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sorry to hear this. I had a few correspondences with Jon. I complimented him on an aloha shirt in one of his videos. He had lived in Hawaii for a time. My wife was born and raised there. Nice guy and a hell of a player.
coraltrpt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was very kind to me as a first-term Airman visiting the Band of the Golden West on TDY. I remember being blown away by his playing and his big personality. He also gave me good advice on working with band commanders... Thank you again, Jon. I'll always remember those things.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this on Jim Manley's Facebook page. Very sorry - I never met Jon in person but he seemed like a good guy. He made some great videos. He made one that addressed a question I asked about the Reynolds ERA and explained details of the horn and its history. My condolences to his family.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sincere condolences to Jon's family.

I took a friend to Jon for a mouthpiece consultation last October and I had an extended lesson with Jon, in his home, last T'giving weekend.

The big part of Jon's public persona was, in truth, eclipsed by his gentle graciousness and genuine humility.

-Denny
Funknfritter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: RIP Jon Ruff Reply with quote

wow, that's sad. I only knew of him through his YouTube videos. Back in the spring i watched all of them, being a covid comeback player. I liked his personality a lot, and he had some good advice for playing that i have taken to heart. This makes me sad.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live 2-3 hours from the SF Bay Area. I called Jon to ask about a cornet I was interested in. This was approaching Christmas that year. Jon offered to bring the cornet to my house to try as he was coming my way for the holidays. It didn't work out for me, but really we spent so much time on the phone and his generousness was so amazing I couldn't believe it. It is sad that he passed away. That kind of customer service and friendly treatment of a stranger was so touching.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never met Jon personally but had a few communications with him when he was with Stomvi. Always enjoyed his educational and entertaining videos.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news...
Peace and Light to Jon, and sincere condoleances to his family.
Many thanks for all his contributions here and his very good videos
voscuate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: RIP Reply with quote

Just discovered this a year after the fact. When I started my comeback journey three years ago his videos were some of the first I used and one of the only I posted a question in the comment section. He promptly responded and addressed my question in a YT comment section. Very generous and obviously a great great player. Very saddened by the news despite being a complete stranger and being a year later. I think of his advice and persona a lot while practicing and trying to get better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: