• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Review of my ACB TA-4 mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffTheHornGuy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Review of my ACB TA-4 mouthpiece Reply with quote

I've been playing almost exclusively on Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces for over 7 years now, and I was lucky enough to live near Trent's shop before ACB moved out to KC. I've been playing on the TA-4 for 5 years now as my primary lead/commercial piece, and I'm writing a review now because I hardly ever see this mouthpiece mentioned, which is a shame because I think it's very overlooked.

For background, I use the TA-4 top on Trent's MT (Medium-Tight) backbore. My primary legit piece these days has been my original ACB 3C top (which was one of the first made on their CNC lathe -- the "ACB 3C" characters were actually imprinted by hand!) on an ACB MO (Medium-Open) backbore. One thing you can take away from this is that the TA-4 is a mouthpiece that is easy to adjust to from larger mouthpieces.

The TA-4 is definitely a smaller inner diameter, around a Bach 10.5, but it has a very wide, semi-flat rim. I would describe the cup as bowl-shaped, and while it's shallow, it's certainly not extremely shallow. To me, the alpha angle feels steep, which gives me plenty of room for my chops. I can create a very full sound all the way down to a low F# that can blend with a section in a classical ensemble. However, if I really lay into it, this mouthpiece can light up like a lazer and play with serious volume. I've been playing this mouthpiece on tour with my indie-rock-soul-funk-band for the past year, and I haven't had any problems getting my sound to carry when mic'd properly. For me, the ideal scenario for this mouthpiece is in a pit orchestra, where the moderately shallow cup can give me that classic commercial sound, but the non-extreme nature of the mouthpiece allows me to play anything without standing out. While this mouthpiece can certainly scream, it does take a bit more effort than I'd prefer to get that "sizzle," which is why I just recently invested in a TA-Z top that I found here on the marketplace.

The TA-Z is marketed as having an identical rim to the TA-4 but with a shallower cup, and that claim is exactly correct from my experience. If ACB mouthpieces are one thing, it's consistent. The TA-Z definitely lights up more easily than the TA-4 but is also certainly a bit less versatile, which is exactly what I was going for. The TA-Z is still not an "extreme" mouthpiece, compared to something like a 13a4a or something like that. If you want one mouthpiece for ALL things that aren't classical or chamber music, the TA-4 should be on the top of your list. If you want something for more specialized playing, such as sitting in the lead chair or playing in a rock band, the TA-Z is a good place to start.
Custom Lawler C7
Electronic music producer
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TA1 is my main mouthpiece for most of my band playing and the ACB5CS is for playing with smaller groups. The one one thing I admire about the ACB lineup is how comfortable the rims are.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
ricoboogie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this mpc been discontinued? When I look at their site, all I can find are the TA-1 (and variations), the TA-2, and the TA+various letters.

I’m curious because I’m on a safari looking for relatives of the Bach 10.5c and the TA-4 as described here seems interesting.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricoboogie wrote:
Has this mpc been discontinued? When I look at their site, all I can find are the TA-1 (and variations), the TA-2, and the TA+various letters.

I’m curious because I’m on a safari looking for relatives of the Bach 10.5c and the TA-4 as described here seems interesting.

They can do anything you want, even if it isn't listed now. The guy to talk to about mouthpieces is Josh McDonald :
mpcsales@austincustombrass.com

He is a great guy and really knows his stuff. Ask a question and the answer is real quick.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: