• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Polish a Getzen or leave it tarnished?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsatt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Polish a Getzen or leave it tarnished? Reply with quote

I have a '72-'75 Large Bore Eterna Severinsen model Getzen that has followed me around since about 1976. It is pretty heavily tarnished and I was about to give it a polish when I thought I might be devaluing it by removing yet another layer of the silver plate. (I kept it pretty shiny when I was a lad). So far the plating is intact.
I don't know how much this instrument is worth, and am not really looking to sell it, more to rekindle our relationship at the risk of my marriage I presume. I'll buy a decent mute as insurance against that.

I welcome opinions on the subject and any info as to possible value as well.

Cheers and glad to have found this forum!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You enhance its saleability the better it looks. Just don't use an abrasvie polish. You can probably get as good as any perspective my looking what wwbw.com offers.

Regarding its worth, cruise the internet sales sites for a perspective. Make sure you pay attention in both your searches and your for-sale advertising about the bore size.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use this:

https://www.ferreestoolsinc.com/collections/laquer-cleaning/products/z25-tarnish-remover

Afterwards, use a polish like Tarnishield.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up the aluminum foil and baking soda technique. There are many posts on TH that describe what to do. Enter site:trumpeterherald.com aluminum foil baking soda in your favorite search engine.

This method doesn't remove the silver, instead the sulphur molecules separate and reattach to the foil. (tarnish is silver sulfide)

One of the nation's leading silver experts warns against this method, but many on here, including myself, have used it with success and no visible harm.
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say to polish because shiny sells, but he said he's not looking to sell it. If it's just for you, then shine it up and don't worry about it, it will be a very small amount of plating loss. I prefer to let them tarnish because I leave the horn out, though it does look nice all shined up, for some weird primal reason that supposedly has to do with how water sparkles.
rsatt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I think I'll give the aluminum foil method a shot this weekend. The horn does look like a million bucks when it's shiny.
bnbechtel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Polish a Getzen or leave it tarnished? Reply with quote

rsatt wrote:

I am not an expert, but I thought I'd chime in with aesthetics preferences. I had the same conundrum recently with a heavily tarnished satin silver 80A. I polished it part of the way, and for a few days I thought that it had a certain appeal that way, like antique silver finishes -- if you google "antique silver finish" it's definitely a thing with decor. It's not really a thing with trumpets. I finished polishing mine and it's kind of stunning, actually.

Now, I got another horn, an Olds Special in brass/lacquer, and it's from 1955, right, and it has quite a patina. I've noticed that this *is* a thing:

https://www.austincustombrass.biz/beautiful-custom-schagerl-roman-empire-trumpet-in-vintage-lacquer/

So I'm leaving that horn as it is, just cleaning, maybe a bit of buffing, but I'm not going to strip it and make it look like shiny brass again.

The Special could use some more aging, maybe:

I think it goes by a case by case basis. I have a Getzen Super Deluxe that I might strip and highly polish, then seal with wax, but I don't think I want to try the brushed metal look.

Best,
Brent
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kanstul 1001 is new, and I keep it in a bag made from anti tarnish cloth that my wife sewed for me. It just looks right when I play what I play on it.

My 1955 Olds Ambassador was stripped, polished and left as raw brass by Charlie Melk (in his Milwaukee shop). It has a great patina now. It just looks right when I play what I play on it.

I don't plan to sell either one of them, and they look just the way I want them to look. My philosophy. FWIW.
Yamaha 631 Flugel
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omelet wrote:
You say to polish because shiny sells, but he said he's not looking to sell it.

He's wondering about devaluating it. I would assume this was asked for future sales or insurance purposes.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Polish a Getzen or leave it tarnished? Reply with quote

bnbechtel wrote:
Now, I got another horn, an Olds Special in brass/lacquer, and it's from 1955, right, and it has quite a patina.

Your Olds looks pretty fine to me, quite the looker! Then again, I do like the old brass look a lot better than than the shiny sparkle metal look (even to the point where fully restored vintage trumpets just don't look right to me ).
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Look up the aluminum foil and baking soda technique. There are many posts on TH that describe what to do. Enter site:trumpeterherald.com aluminum foil baking soda in your favorite search engine.

This method doesn't remove the silver, instead the sulphur molecules separate and reattach to the foil. (tarnish is silver sulfide)

One of the nation's leading silver experts warns against this method, but many on here, including myself, have used it with success and no visible harm.

yup! this is the way to go.
i use this method with great success for all silver horns
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
bnbechtel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Polish a Getzen or leave it tarnished? Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
bnbechtel wrote:
Now, I got another horn, an Olds Special in brass/lacquer, and it's from 1955, right, and it has quite a patina.

Your Olds looks pretty fine to me, quite the looker! Then again, I do like the old brass look a lot better than than the shiny sparkle metal look (even to the point where fully restored vintage trumpets just don't look right to me ).

Right, in looking at trumpets online to buy, test out, and possibly resell, I'm met with auctions for Olds horns that have been stripped down, polished, and relacquered, and some of them look too yellow and shiny for me, but they have high price tags attached, presumably because they look shiny. (Then there are the Olds Recordings that show up in dark lacquer and an unpolished finish, and I think those look great.) I wonder if there was a tint in the original lacquer, because some of the horns that have been refinished honestly look too bright.

(Like on Fender guitars, the necks are sprayed with slightly tinted lacquer, or have been for decades.)

Best,
Brent
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Polish a Getzen or leave it tarnished? Reply with quote

rsatt wrote:
I have a '72-'75 Large Bore Eterna Severinsen model Getzen that has followed me around since about 1976. It is pretty heavily tarnished and I was about to give it a polish when I thought I might be devaluing it by removing yet another layer of the silver plate. (I kept it pretty shiny when I was a lad). So far the plating is intact.

Polish away - occasionally - with a quality product - in reason.

Your Getzen is not a "collectable" like a Chicago Benge or NY Bach - it's a player. It could command a higher price if it is the .468 bore LB rather than the later .464 bore LB.

e-Bay and Reverb are your guides to your horn's used value. Since the new discount price is below $2300 and the demo price around $1700, used value will be considerably less.
rsatt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Polish a Getzen or leave it tarnished? Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks to all who responded. I tried the Aluminum and Baking Soda method and the results are pretty great. A bit of work with a polishing cloth after the soak and the horn looks like new. Replaced the valve springs and cleaned it out. It's been 43 years since I played it regularly but my fingers remember what to do and I can still blow a clear note. Now to buy a practice mute so I don't come home one day to find it has been repurposed as a planter in the garden.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: