• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lotus Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chef8489
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.5c, but I found a 1l and a 2l available elsewhere for immediate shipping and trying to figure out which to purchase. mated shipping dates. Similarly to many of you on this thread, my experience has been that the customer service and awareness is subpar but the mouthpieces are quite good.

From my own listening and from others the response was very positive about its sound on my C trumpet. It is now my main on the C trumpet. I agree with the claim that the piece doesn't respond well to tension in the player, It very quickly stops responding if you try and force it. that being said there is not a need to force anything.

The intonation is better (certainly hasn't solved all my intonation problems as some have claimed) especially on the D, Eb, and E. Alternate fingerings are better but standard fingerings are now somewhat usable if you are willing to lip up a bit.

The range increases are certainly not as insane as some of the marketing material suggests. A high F certainly does not feel like a high D now. Though I didn't really expect it to do that either.

The rim shape is something I find a bit interesting. I bought a 1L, its almost as if the mouthpiece wants to open into a significantly deeper cup. The initial bite is quite sharp but then moves inwards before actually going into the cup, I can attach a crude diagram if anyone actually cares enough.

TL;DR Lotus's customer service is underwhelming at best, the mouthpiece itself is very good, will probably buy from them again.[/quote]
If you had to compare a 1l to a bach piece what would you say it feels like? They told me the charts are wrong. They suggest a 1l2 for me as the ideal piece and a equivalent.5c, but I found a 1l and a 2l available elsewhere for immediate shipping and trying to figure out which to purchase.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony
Past horns
Bach Cornet, Bach 37, King 2055t silver flair, King 600,
ThatFoxtrot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any bach pieces with me at the moment but I do have a Yamaha Mark Gould which is meant to very closely imitate a 1.25C on the front end at least and I have a 1.5C (USA Line) JK. I would say it feels slightly smaller than the Gould, kind of in between the 1.25 and a 1.5C. though as someone that prefers the 1.25 It suits me very well.

from what I understand the 2L is more similar to a 3C than a 1.5C. The following is a comparison of the bigger sizes from Charles Wagner from Lotus's customer support team that I was sent during my correspondence with him.

Bach 1B = Lotus 1XL
Bach 1C = Lotus 1XL2
1 1/4C = 1L
1 1/2C = 1L2
2B = 2XL
2C = 2XL2
3C = 2L
chef8489
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatFoxtrot wrote:
I don't have any bach pieces with me at the moment but I do have a Yamaha Mark Gould which is meant to very closely imitate a 1.25C on the front end at least and I have a 1.5C (USA Line) JK. I would say it feels slightly smaller than the Gould, kind of in between the 1.25 and a 1.5C. though as someone that prefers the 1.25 It suits me very well.

from what I understand the 2L is more similar to a 3C than a 1.5C. The following is a comparison of the bigger sizes from Charles Wagner from Lotus's customer support team that I was sent during my correspondence with him.

Bach 1B = Lotus 1XL
Bach 1C = Lotus 1XL2
1 1/4C = 1L
1 1/2C = 1L2
2B = 2XL
2C = 2XL2
3C = 2L

Thanks for that. With that I just don't know if I want to wait for 11+ weeks for a 1L2 or ger a 1L right now. I wonder how much difference there is between a 1.5 and 1 25 when playing.
Past horns
Alex Brain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not a big poster on this site, and I'm not going to get drawn into any discussions, but I do check the forum for time to time and did follow this thread. Thought I would share my ordering experience just in the interest of anyone else considering placing an order as I did and to add some continuity to the thread.

Before I go on; Adam Rapa has been a hero of mine from a young age, and he remains a source of inspiration and amazement, not least for his astonishing trumpet playing, but also his boundless energy and enthusiasm. I do genuinely wish him the best of luck with his company.

I ordered a 3XL2 and a 3M back on 31st August. The order was electronically confirmed immediately, and then a few days later I received an email with a video of Adam demonstrating 'How to get the most out of your mouthpiece'.

The website reads that orders will be sent within 8 weeks, and I appreciated from this thread it wasn't go to be a quick turnaround. However, after 8 weeks had passed, with no word from Lotus, I sent a quick email to check how they were getting on. The reply came through 6 days (1st Nov) later from Charley and included a 20 euro refund for my patience. He explained the story I had read earlier in the thread, saying (quote):

'The truth is that at about the time you placed your order we suffered some horrendous losses of mouthpieces due to a series of buffing errors. We're talking about enough mouthpieces in the bin to make a grown man cry. We now have a robotic arm being put through the training/programming process and have all fingers and toes crossed that this issue will be put firmly behind us.'

He did not offer any clarity on when I might be able to expect my order to be started, completed or shipped. I did not hear anything for another 2 weeks.

On 16th November I sent an email asking for a refund as I was concerned both at the ongoing delay and also the suggestion that the manufacturing process was not fully sorted.

Charley replied on 22nd November and, after a brief to and fro, sent the refund immediately. From initial order to refund was a period of 12 weeks, and even in the final exchange Charley did not know how long it would take for the order to be completed.

This was my experience. This post is in no way intended to be critical of Lotus, but simply to state my experience for anyone else who is thinking of ordering one at this time. I'm the very first to hope that they get their production line fully working, and would be keen to try their new products when they reach the UK.

Thanks
Alex
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I came from a Pickett 5 rim, and then briefly a Monette B3S3. I settled on Lotus 3. I have an L bronze, L brass, M and M2.

I honestly can’t remember if I tried the lotus 2 or just chatted with Charley about it all. Regardless of what different charts read, this has been a really nice fit for me.
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked my 3L2 so much I decided to order a 3M looking for a little brighter sound so I would blend better in the section. I play in a community band but guess old habits don't die, just trying to be the good section player.

Jury still out on it, again as stated here by others you have to play very relaxed and any tension will cut things off. But it does brighten up the LB Benge 6X so it may work out.

2 points, 1. the piece was in brass and shipped within the 4-6 weeks stated. Trouble is it got stuck in Germany for 2 weeks due to a labor shortage? Not Lotus fault but was a real PITA.(Pain In The Axx) 2. When it did arrive there were some burrs in the plating on the bottom of the shank that made it wobble in the receiver. Not a biggie and nothing a little fine sanding couldn't correct, but not sure how it made it through final quality checks.
Conn Severinsen
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Lotus Mouthpieces
chef8489
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being able to get a 1L2 before Christmas I ordered a 1L in brass and a 2l in bronze off Springfield music today. I should have them within a week. Coming from a 1.5c hopefully one of these work for me. The 2l is a large 3c and 1l is a 1.25c, so hopefully one isn't too much of an adjustment.
Past horns

Last edited by chef8489 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
kevin_soda
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usedtobegood wrote:
When it did arrive there were some burrs in the plating on the bottom of the shank that made it wobble in the receiver. Not a biggie and nothing a little fine sanding couldn't correct, but not sure how it made it through final quality checks.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening with any other mouthpiece manufacturer? Ever? It's my impression that the people running this company, proud of their worldwide logistics and sourcing, assumed that they could easily manufacture a better product for less money without having any experience in actually producing the product they're intending to sell... This is bonkers.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"To err is human..."

Have you forgotten the thread where a poster recently received a new Edwards X13 trumpet that was unplayable until it was sent back to the company for correction? Apparently slipped past quality control...

Not bonkers, just life populated by fallable human beings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: