• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lotus Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.5c, but I found a 1l and a 2l available elsewhere for immediate shipping and trying to figure out which to purchase. mated shipping dates. Similarly to many of you on this thread, my experience has been that the customer service and awareness is subpar but the mouthpieces are quite good.

From my own listening and from others the response was very positive about its sound on my C trumpet. It is now my main on the C trumpet. I agree with the claim that the piece doesn't respond well to tension in the player, It very quickly stops responding if you try and force it. that being said there is not a need to force anything.

The intonation is better (certainly hasn't solved all my intonation problems as some have claimed) especially on the D, Eb, and E. Alternate fingerings are better but standard fingerings are now somewhat usable if you are willing to lip up a bit.

The range increases are certainly not as insane as some of the marketing material suggests. A high F certainly does not feel like a high D now. Though I didn't really expect it to do that either.

The rim shape is something I find a bit interesting. I bought a 1L, its almost as if the mouthpiece wants to open into a significantly deeper cup. The initial bite is quite sharp but then moves inwards before actually going into the cup, I can attach a crude diagram if anyone actually cares enough.

TL;DR Lotus's customer service is underwhelming at best, the mouthpiece itself is very good, will probably buy from them again.[/quote]
If you had to compare a 1l to a bach piece what would you say it feels like? They told me the charts are wrong. They suggest a 1l2 for me as the ideal piece and a equivalent.5c, but I found a 1l and a 2l available elsewhere for immediate shipping and trying to figure out which to purchase.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
ThatFoxtrot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any bach pieces with me at the moment but I do have a Yamaha Mark Gould which is meant to very closely imitate a 1.25C on the front end at least and I have a 1.5C (USA Line) JK. I would say it feels slightly smaller than the Gould, kind of in between the 1.25 and a 1.5C. though as someone that prefers the 1.25 It suits me very well.

from what I understand the 2L is more similar to a 3C than a 1.5C. The following is a comparison of the bigger sizes from Charles Wagner from Lotus's customer support team that I was sent during my correspondence with him.

Bach 1B = Lotus 1XL
Bach 1C = Lotus 1XL2
1 1/4C = 1L
1 1/2C = 1L2
2B = 2XL
2C = 2XL2
3C = 2L
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatFoxtrot wrote:
I don't have any bach pieces with me at the moment but I do have a Yamaha Mark Gould which is meant to very closely imitate a 1.25C on the front end at least and I have a 1.5C (USA Line) JK. I would say it feels slightly smaller than the Gould, kind of in between the 1.25 and a 1.5C. though as someone that prefers the 1.25 It suits me very well.

from what I understand the 2L is more similar to a 3C than a 1.5C. The following is a comparison of the bigger sizes from Charles Wagner from Lotus's customer support team that I was sent during my correspondence with him.

Bach 1B = Lotus 1XL
Bach 1C = Lotus 1XL2
1 1/4C = 1L
1 1/2C = 1L2
2B = 2XL
2C = 2XL2
3C = 2L

Thanks for that. With that I just don't know if I want to wait for 11+ weeks for a 1L2 or ger a 1L right now. I wonder how much difference there is between a 1.5 and 1 25 when playing.
deleted_user_34face8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I came from a Pickett 5 rim, and then briefly a Monette B3S3. I settled on Lotus 3. I have an L bronze, L brass, M and M2.

I honestly can’t remember if I tried the lotus 2 or just chatted with Charley about it all. Regardless of what different charts read, this has been a really nice fit for me.
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked my 3L2 so much I decided to order a 3M looking for a little brighter sound so I would blend better in the section. I play in a community band but guess old habits don't die, just trying to be the good section player.

Jury still out on it, again as stated here by others you have to play very relaxed and any tension will cut things off. But it does brighten up the LB Benge 6X so it may work out.

2 points, 1. the piece was in brass and shipped within the 4-6 weeks stated. Trouble is it got stuck in Germany for 2 weeks due to a labor shortage? Not Lotus fault but was a real PITA.(Pain In The Axx) 2. When it did arrive there were some burrs in the plating on the bottom of the shank that made it wobble in the receiver. Not a biggie and nothing a little fine sanding couldn't correct, but not sure how it made it through final quality checks.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being able to get a 1L2 before Christmas I ordered a 1L in brass and a 2l in bronze off Springfield music today. I should have them within a week. Coming from a 1.5c hopefully one of these work for me. The 2l is a large 3c and 1l is a 1.25c, so hopefully one isn't too much of an adjustment.

Last edited by chef8489 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usedtobegood wrote:
When it did arrive there were some burrs in the plating on the bottom of the shank that made it wobble in the receiver. Not a biggie and nothing a little fine sanding couldn't correct, but not sure how it made it through final quality checks.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening with any other mouthpiece manufacturer? Ever? It's my impression that the people running this company, proud of their worldwide logistics and sourcing, assumed that they could easily manufacture a better product for less money without having any experience in actually producing the product they're intending to sell... This is bonkers.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"To err is human..."

Have you forgotten the thread where a poster recently received a new Edwards X13 trumpet that was unplayable until it was sent back to the company for correction? Apparently slipped past quality control...

Not bonkers, just life populated by fallable human beings.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They arrived. 1L and a 2L in bronze. I'll see how well I get along with them as I'm coming from a 1.5c.

ThatFoxtrot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd update my earlier post. I have gone back to using my Tom Hooten mouthpiece on C trumpet.

The sound of the Lotus 1L was good, very similar to the Hooten but the intonation up high was unforgivable. It did sharpen the usually very flat 4th partial (D, Eb, E) to the point I didn't strictly NEED alternate fingerings, but it also sharpened all the notes above that point as well. F, F#, G, A, Bb, B and C were all sharp (Ab was in tune) to the point it was a struggle to bring them down to pitch. the G especially which is normally about 15 cents sharp was now a whole quartertone above where it should have been.

That said the lotus still sounds and works fairly well on my Bb.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered 2 more from Springfield. 2xl and 2xl2. Still want to try a 1l2 as it's a 1.5. I don't think the 1L is quite right and play the 2l more,, but feel it's a bit small. Guess I will see how the equivalent of the 2c and 3b feels as the 1.25c felt a bit too big, and 3c felt bit too small.
Trompetolero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Lotus 3L and compared it to my Monette Tradition Plus 3. They are not far apart in terms of inner rim diameter and the idea to have this kind (Monette style) of mouthpiece suited for Bb and C trumpets is pretty similiar.
The sound is very different though - as the rim shapes are. The Lotus sounds much stuffier and the articulation is less crisp. The Monette is also still a step ahead in terms of constant pitch center and those octaves are just right on my YTR-8345. On my Bach C trumpet, the Lotus doesn't work well. The low register is sharp, whereas the Monette fits fine here.
Of course the Lotus are about half the price of the cheapest Monettes, but I'll stick to my Monette for basically every reason there is.
Dronzoni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trompetolero wrote:
I just got a Lotus 3L and compared it to my Monette Tradition Plus 3. They are not far apart in terms of inner rim diameter and the idea to have this kind (Monette style) of mouthpiece suited for Bb and C trumpets is pretty similiar.
The sound is very different though - as the rim shapes are. The Lotus sounds much stuffier and the articulation is less crisp. The Monette is also still a step ahead in terms of constant pitch center and those octaves are just right on my YTR-8345. On my Bach C trumpet, the Lotus doesn't work well. The low register is sharp, whereas the Monette fits fine here.
Of course the Lotus are about half the price of the cheapest Monettes, but I'll stick to my Monette for basically every reason there is.

I was curious about how modern Monette mouthpieces and Lotus mouthpieces compared. I guess I'll stick to my Monette mouthpieces! Thanks for the insight!
Ricsim88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a 2XL2 and a 7M (for piccolo) in brass. It took about 6 weeks from the moment I ordered until they arrived. I really have zero issues with the ordering process, as well as communication. Shipping to Canada was also way more affordable than other companies that shall remain nameless.
Dealing with Charley was easy and he was also very helpful at all times.
Just for these reasons alone, I would order again.
For me and my approach, the mouthpieces are fantastic, very open, but without losing focus. Intonation and tone are great, and so are articulations. These are very even and flexible mouthpieces, makes playing through the whole range a breeze. It’s almost like the range is being compressed and is making you feel like octaves are closer than they are. Very cool feeling actually.
I love them so much that I ordered the same sizes in bronze. I think it might give a slightly warmer tone, which I think would be useful in some situations, especially on C trumpet.
The 7M has become the best piccolo mouthpiece I’ve ever played. Just perfect.
I honestly think they deserve a shot, especially for the price. As well as their generous return policy.
Other brands should definitely follow that approach.
Cheers!

Yamaha 9445 CHS 3rd gen
Yamaha Xeno 8335IIS
Yamaha 9820C piccolo
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue I have with them is when I get tired they completely shut down on me above c in the staff. Idk why. It takes so much effort to play with them when I am tired.
Ricsim88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
The only issue I have with them is when I get tired they completely shut down on me above c in the staff. Idk why. It takes so much effort to play with them when I am tired.

I’m sorry to hear that. I can’t say I have experienced anything like this. If anything, I’m finding that even at the end of a long practice session, high range is still very accessible. They definitely are a different type of mouthpiece though. And a different approach might be required to get the maximum benefits.

Yamaha 9445 CHS 3rd gen
Yamaha Xeno 8335IIS
Yamaha 9820C piccolo
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themmhemsim88"]
chef8489 wrote:

I’m sorry to hear that. I can’t say I have experienced anything like this. If anything, I’m finding that even at the end of a long practice session, high range is still very accessible. They definitely are a different type of mouthpiece though. And a different approach might be required to get the maximum benefits.[/quote]
Its really weird. It's amazing playing then all of a sudden it's like my hors are clogged once I go from c to d. Then I switch mouthpieces and I can continue to play. Then I switch back and have same issue. If I concentrate really hard and focus on the sound I can get it to play, but it's a lot of work. When I Am nice and fresh I love them, but its frustrating when tired.
ThatFoxtrot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to agree with chef here. When I am just starting to play it sounds great and plays pretty well but after playing for a while it seems to shut down and make playing specifically above that C in the staff much harder to get above.
Ricsim88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very strange. I actually noticed an improvement in endurance for me. I wonder if it could be size related, both cup depth and rim diameter.
Hopefully you can figure it out.

Yamaha 9445 CHS 3rd gen
Yamaha Xeno 8335IIS
Yamaha 9820C piccolo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 14 of 20

Jump to: