• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tuning slide- hard to get in the horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
herpderp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Tuning slide- hard to get in the horn Reply with quote

My tuning slide isn't lining up perfectly when inserting it into the horn leading to some tension in the horn when I manage to insert it. Should I have a tech fix this? Am I just overthinking things? I've been doing some simple long tones on the leadpipe so every warm up it's been on my mind.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning slide- hard to get in the horn Reply with quote

herpderp wrote:
My tuning slide isn't lining up perfectly when inserting it into the horn leading to some tension in the horn when I manage to insert it. Should I have a tech fix this? Am I just overthinking things? I've been doing some simple long tones on the leadpipe so every warm up it's been on my mind.

Yes, if you do anything to it, have a qualified and experienced tech do the adjustment. It's too easy to make matters worse, if you aren't practiced at doing such things. My opinion.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Shofarguy. If it is really hard to fit in, it often means your horn has been knocked out of alignment. Lots of stresses and potential problems from that.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check each leg separately - if they are a 'too easy' fit then
edit: (if aligned perfectly)
the slide can move unexpectedly while playing or being handled.

A quicky 'adjustment' to an overly loose slide is to very slightly tweak the legs so the slide isn't a 'perfect fit'.

Also, for 'perfect fit' there is quite a bit of mechanical alignment necessary - the slide tubes need to be parallel, the 'body tubes' need to be parallel, and the distances need to be the same.

If the slide can be reliably moved to the desired position, and it stays there, then there might not be any value in trying to change it.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: T-slide fit Reply with quote

Many inexpensive horns are made with tuning slides that use tension to stay in place. If your slides move very easily with lube, this is probably the case.

The tension of misaligned slides keeps the T-slide in place. Is there a brace or just pipes and bow.

What brand is it?
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
herpderp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: T-slide fit Reply with quote

Steve Hollahan wrote:

What brand is it?

It's a Selmer Radial, fairly new to me. There's a brace on the tuning slide. It's just out of parallel enough that it's challenging to insert. Each side of the slide is fitted well.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have suggested, find a tech to fix it - it's a pretty easy fix, but not one to take on yourself IMO.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
herpderp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case there is anyone invested in the resolution of this story:
I had a tech fix the issue. The slide goes in perfectly and my leadpipe exercises are easier. The trumpet may play better but it may be placebo. Thanks for listening.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herpderp wrote:
In case there is anyone invested in the resolution of this story:
I had a tech fix the issue. The slide goes in perfectly and my leadpipe exercises are easier. The trumpet may play better but it may be placebo. Thanks for listening.

Probably not a placebo. The first #1J tuning slide I bought from Flip Oakes had tension in the tuning slide caused from slightly undersized tubing that had caught on the reamer Flip used to correct the solder joints of his horns. Flip had to wrestle it off the reamer, which caused some minute deformation in the tubing. My horn just wouldn't slot with that slide. Flip traded it for a different slide, which played great. I still have that one.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: