• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Case for Large Bell/Bottom Caps

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Case for Large Bell/Bottom Caps Reply with quote

I recently received a new horn with a 5.4 inch large taper bell and 3/4 inch bottom caps. The builder of the horn recommends the ProTec Contoured case for all their horns, but after testing the horn in the case it doesn't seem to sit well. The bell seems to be a very tight fit, both horizontally and vertically, and the contact between the bottom caps and the case presses the horn up at an awkward angle. It almost feels like I'm bending the bell when putting the horn in the case.

I also tried fitting the horn in a Marcus Bonna Double, but the more elliptical shape of the tuning slide/bell crook makes the horn a bit too long for the case. Is there a case out there that would be a good fit for a larger horn? The combination of the large bell, long bottom caps, and longer profile seems to be a challenge to handle.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Torpedo Bag Classic fits big bell horns quite nicely
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be a Pelican-style case and pluck the foam to fit as you wish. There is also this company, which will custom cut foam. They offer an online design program that lets you trace a photograph:

https://mycasebuilder.com

I have used them before and have been happy with their service. Maybe a bit more pricey than a regular case, but sounds like you have a horn that may be worth the extra protection.

HTH

Ben
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The reunion blues triple gig bag could be a decent option for such trumpet, it has a velcro that allows for certain movement of the interior padding. Also it could fit a small flugel. A Taylor Chicago with a 5.2 inches bell seems to fit quite nice but in no way with two other trumpets, maybe with another trumpet or with some mutes or other small gear.

Another option if you are not on a tight budget would be the Glenn Cronkhite double tumpet/flughel combo.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little discrepancy, here. Are you talking about a gig bag or a hard case?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations. A shop near me sometimes has Torpedo cases in stock, I'll take the horn with me and check out the fit (it's going to be fun getting the horn around without a proper case). The Pelican-style case looks quite nice, though the lead time might be an issue - I'm hoping to figure out something quick before I accidentally damage the horn due to having no good way to store it.

I'm strictly looking at hard cases - my horns can get tossed around a bit when in the case, and I want the extra peace of mind provided by a hard case.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a call to Trent Austin might be a good idea; he has had some unusually-configured horns and probably has some valuable insight...

HTH

Ben
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations. A shop near me sometimes has Torpedo cases in stock, I'll take the horn with me and check out the fit (it's going to be fun getting the horn around without a proper case). The Pelican-style case looks quite nice, though the lead time might be an issue - I'm hoping to figure out something quick before I accidentally damage the horn due to having no good way to store it.

I'm strictly looking at hard cases - my horns can get tossed around a bit when in the case, and I want the extra peace of mind provided by a hard case.

Based on your last comment, I would say Torpedo Peacemaker, Loredo or Classic. All hard shell, all VERY protective, and I would bet your horn will fit properly. Not positive about the 3/4” caps, but I THINK I had (HAD, as in past tense) some 3/4” caps on a horn and it fit in a Torpedo.

Brad
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the shop that typically has Torpedo cases is out. Looking online, it seems that Torpedo cases are pretty commonly out of stock across the board. Bummer - I do like the idea/design of the case. I'm also a bit afraid of ordering blindly online in the event that I do have fitment issues with the case.

I also gave ACB a ring - they recommended a Gard double case, which could be adjusted to an XL single horn case with a storage compartment. I'm still a but wary of ordering online, but getting the recommendation from ACB does give me some additional confidence.

With their sale going on, I can get the case for $135, not a bad price at all. However, it is a soft case, something I'm not completely sold on. From online info, it seems like the Gard is reasonably protective, though I would appreciate any comparisons with how it might stack up to a ProTec Contoured or Torpedo case.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
Unfortunately, the shop that typically has Torpedo cases is out. Looking online, it seems that Torpedo cases are pretty commonly out of stock across the board. Bummer - I do like the idea/design of the case. I'm also a bit afraid of ordering blindly online in the event that I do have fitment issues with the case.

I also gave ACB a ring - they recommended a Gard double case, which could be adjusted to an XL single horn case with a storage compartment. I'm still a but wary of ordering online, but getting the recommendation from ACB does give me some additional confidence.

With their sale going on, I can get the case for $135, not a bad price at all. However, it is a soft case, something I'm not completely sold on. From online info, it seems like the Gard is reasonably protective, though I would appreciate any comparisons with how it might stack up to a ProTec Contoured or Torpedo case.

Look on Amazon for Torpedo. I was told by someone who would definitely know that Amazon is a “work around” to get a Torpedo without the wait, the Peacemaker, which is hard shell, is available now on Amazon.

Torpedo Bags PEACEMAKER Trumpet Case (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q46LZV5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Y8V3GKJTMA7Z8RNAWZ1T

Brad
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd post an update in the event someone finds this thread in the future. Brad361 - thanks for the Torpedo recommendation and information. I picked up a Peacemaker. The case feels great - the foam is super soft and thick, the zippers look crazy strong, overall just a really well made case. Not bad at all for $180. After trying it with the horn, I can confirm it somewhat fits.

With the bottom caps sitting all the way down in the foam channel (basically touching the hard shell of the case), the horn seems to slide in, though the finger buttons do overlap pretty significantly with the upper foam channel. Probably not a big deal, but the pressure is a bit more than I'd like on the valve stems. I may just need to pick up some smaller bottom caps for use when storing the horn. Other than that, the weird elliptical bell crook/tuning slide and larger bell seem to do fine in the Peacemaker.

So far, the Peacemaker is the best fitting case I've tried, including a Monette single case. I expected the Monette to be a great fit, but the case just seems super small. I couldn't even get my traditional Bb to fit - there just doesn't seem to be enough space between the bell and bell crook pads.
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it actually looks like the Torpedo may not work. The horn sits very far over the in case when sliding it in, to the point where it looks like the bell would overlap with the lid zipper when fully inserted. Additionally, the resistance got to the point where I didn't feel comfortable pushing the horn in further than 3/4th of the way or so (way more resistance than with my standard shaped Schargel Bb). I'll continue messing with it, but I'm not sure a Torpedo is a good fit for this horn.

I've heard that the Marcus Bonna triple is longer than the double and could be a possible option, though between the price and the size it's certainly not my go-to next choice. Any other recommendations for other cases would certainly be appreciated.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref. large bell/wider wrap (due to extended vakve caps), I used a Gaard bag for my Connstellation. No fitting problem.

BTW, the Gaard is not as protective as the Torpedo. If there's an issue with that, I second the motion on contacting ACB.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Large bell/wider wrap (due to extended vakve caps), I used a Gaard bag for my Connstellation. No fitting problem.

BTW, the Gaard is not as protective as the Torpedo. I there's an issue with that, I second the motion on contacting ACB.

I spoke with ACB and they were very confident in the protectiveness and fitment of the Gard double. A number of colleagues in my area use the case so I was able to check it out in person. With the bell/crook pads I found the fit with my traditional Bb to be very snug. I think I would have to remove the bell crook pad to get the larger Harrelson bell crook in the case.

Additionally, the softness of the case was really off-putting to me. Especially without the bell crook pad, it seemed like any impact would go right to the horn due to the lack of rigidity. After seeing how flexible the case was, I wrote it off at the time.

I love the quality of the padding and protection offered by the Torpedo . I've heard that it's a fairly common case for Harrelson owners, so I'm rather surprised by my fitment troubles. However, it does sound like the Gard would be worth another look.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't believe that Harrelson would sell such a high-end product at that price and not have it trumpet bag/case compatible with something.

Maybe you should give them another call.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I just can't believe that Harelson would sell such a high-end product at that price and not have it trumpet bag/case compatible with something.

Maybe you should give them another call.

I spoke to them earlier today - most owners use a ProTec Contoured case or a Torpedo. From their experience, their horns with up to 1 inch bottom caps fit fine in both the ProTec Contoured and Torpedo cases. This looks more like a 'me' issue, but it still feels like I need way more force to get the Harrelson into the ProTec or the Torpedo compared to my regular Bb.
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 large bell Monette trumpets, a Bb Ajna I and a C Raja Samadhi. I use my torpedo loredo with both. With the Ajna I have no problems, but it's a little tight for my Samadhi, so I use a fabric violin bag. I put the horn on the bag and the bag on the case ...it glides better.

1 Corinthians 14:8 (KJV)
"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been messing around some more with getting the Torpedo to fit the Harrelson. I also asked on a Harrelson owners group about case choice and the Torpedo classic/outlaw were very common picks. Others with similar setups (3/4 or 1/2 inch caps with large diameter bells) seemed to have no problem getting the horn in a Torpedo.

Robson - I appreciate the info. Those are certainly some large horns, so if they can fit, I'm surprised I'm having issues with getting my horn in a Torpedo.

I can get the horn maybe half way into the case, and then it more or less 'stops.' It feels like I would really have press down hard to get the horn any further in. My normal sized horns slide right in and out with even less force then what's needed to get the Harrelson half way in.

Additionally, the bell looks like its sitting really far over. I'm not sure how it can fit as is, or how I can adjust my approach to get a better fit.

Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
I've been messing around some more with getting the Torpedo to fit the Harrelson. I also asked on a Harrelson owners group about case choice and the Torpedo classic/outlaw were very common picks. Others with similar setups (3/4 or 1/2 inch caps with large diameter bells) seemed to have no problem getting the horn in a Torpedo.

Robson - I appreciate the info. Those are certainly some large horns, so if they can fit, I'm surprised I'm having issues with getting my horn in a Torpedo.

I can get the horn maybe half way into the case, and then it more or less 'stops.' It feels like I would really have press down hard to get the horn any further in. My normal sized horns slide right in and out with even less force then what's needed to get the Harrelson half way in.

Additionally, the bell looks like its sitting really far over. I'm not sure how it can fit as is, or how I can adjust my approach to get a better fit.

Send me an e-mail, that I'm gonna send you a video of my Monettes and my torpedo bag.

1 Corinthians 14:8 (KJV)
"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Protec case you’re looking for is the Travel Light case. It’s contoured but it can accommodate a much bigger bell and extended valve caps.

https://www.protecstyle.com/TRUMPET-TRAVEL-LIGHT-PRO-PAC-CASE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: