• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The “pointed feel”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: The “pointed feel” Reply with quote

In my journey from a IIIB to a IIIA, I’m noticing things I’d not noticed in previous years.

For one thing, the “pointed feel” when playing is much more pronounced than ever now. In fact, I don’t think I ever truly felt it like I do now.

Another thing I’m noticing is that my sound seems to have so much more life in it. It’s kinda “springy” and just wants to bounce right out of the horn, full of life.

Granted, I had been type-switching for easily three years when my IIIB embouchure started its final descent, so my most recent memories were not all that favorable. My sound had been getting more and more dull and lifeless and not comfortable to produce. My daily practice efforts were also uncomfortable (physically) and the first notes of the day were actually painful (for me, not to mention anybody who could hear me).

My main challenge now, as Doug forewarned, is avoiding letting the mouthpiece fall into the old playing groove that had been carved out since 1978, but progress is definitely being made.

Just wondering if anybody else here (say, another former type-switcher) has experienced similar dramatic improvements like I have been enjoying.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not studied with a Reinhardt teacher or been typed, but I do know from studying the material on my own, observing myself, that I have type-switched throughout my career, probably between IIIA and IIIB.
When I am playing my best I notice my jaw is forward, pushing up to ascend and pulling down on low notes (IIIA). I think the reason I have sometimes reverted to IIIB pivot is from watching other players and emulating their horn angles. I typically see players with a lower horn angle on higher notes and a higher horn angle below the staff, and it is difficult to erase that imagery from my subconscious. But when I do, and find my own track, I experience improvement across the board in tone, ease of response, range, intonation, endurance, etc.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely.

To players who know nothing about embouchure types, IIIB mechanics work "pretty well" for nearly everybody and can be very deceptive.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
I have not studied with a Reinhardt teacher or been typed, but I do know from studying the material on my own, observing myself, that I have type-switched throughout my career, probably between IIIA and IIIB.
When I am playing my best I notice my jaw is forward, pushing up to ascend and pulling down on low notes (IIIA). I think the reason I have sometimes reverted to IIIB pivot is from watching other players and emulating their horn angles. I typically see players with a lower horn angle on higher notes and a higher horn angle below the staff, and it is difficult to erase that imagery from my subconscious. But when I do, and find my own track, I experience improvement across the board in tone, ease of response, range, intonation, endurance, etc.

Ditto here, except I have studied with Reinhardt teachers, and the more I stay with the discipline of my type (IIIA), the more consistent the results. Doc Severinsen was my HS idol, and I can close my eyes and vividly envision his tipping the end of the bell upwards when he goes low (Type: IIIB), which I have to resist doing.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the term "pointed feel", and didn't have success searching for it - can someone explain, or refer to a web location?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
I'm not familiar with the term "pointed feel", and didn't have success searching for it - can someone explain, or refer to a web location?

This is where you feel like the vibration is taking place in one tiny little spot on your embouchure . . . almost as if your lips had come to a point.

Hard to describe a feeling, but when you experience it you truly understand.

I seem to recall in the pages of my Reinhardt notebook seeing that term more than once. Next time I think about it I’ll see if I can find it and type it in here.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
This is where you feel like the vibration is taking place in one tiny little spot on your embouchure . . . almost as if your lips had come to a point. ...

----------------
Thanks !
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with many things, it's a feeling, not necessarily a fact.

It's about being in control... to get an idea what it means, think it is as the opposite of a "spread" feeling which is out of control.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
JayKosta wrote:

This is where you feel like the vibration is taking place in one tiny little spot on your embouchure . . . almost as if your lips had come to a point.

Is this described in any detail the Encyclopedia? I have it but it's such a nightmare trying to find anything.
I remember reading the phrase either on the forum here or in the encyclopedia, but I had thought it was to do with flattening the chin. I've heard it used that way but not in the terms you mentioned. That's quite interesting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: