• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can I learn to play a shallow mouthpiece?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Can I learn to play a shallow mouthpiece? Reply with quote

I have never been able to play a shallow mouthpiece. My lips hit the bottom of the cup. I currently use an ACB 3C.

I've been playing for decades successfully but range and endurance had always been difficult. I've been working the BE method for a couple of years. My endurance has greatly increased and my range has gone up a couple of notes. I have good Eb's all the time. E's and F's are there, but I can't bang them out all night.

I have heard people say that a shallow mouthpiece makes endurance and range easier. The guys I know who play commercial music full time don't play on big, deep mouthpieces.

How can I go about learning to use a shallow mouthpiece?
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions:
1. What have you tried?
2. How long/in what capacity did you play them? (I.e., were they just non-starters or were they okay for some music and not for others?)
3. What shallow mouthpieces do you have at home now?

I read similar posts on here a while back and bought several shallow mouthpieces. I have a kanstul copy of a Monette 5l and also bought one of the kelly screamer's on sale. Both are playable for me. On piccolo, I've also tried Bach 7e, Schilke's picc piece, and a Monette shallow one. Both shallow and smaller are said to help, so I would try finding a piece you can play now and also maybe a "reach" piece that is close, but challenging, and try those. It may be that something like the 7e would work. I also struggle with range above about high c. On piccolo now I am pretty reliable up to the e and I do find that my kanstul makes flexibility and range easier.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You need to train the muscles of your face to fit your lips into the mouthpiece differently. What exactly is different depends on your embouchure now, but it probably involves more inward curl and less pucker.

Some mouthpiece makers -- such as Pickett -- make intermediate mouthpiece sizes: C, CD, D, DE, E....Perhaps ACB does as well. You might want to start with something like a CD, which shouldn't feel too dissimilar to what you are playing on now, to begin the transition.

Work it into your practice routine gradually. Start with easy material for just a few minutes and build from there. Let the sound guide you. When you find a good position for your lips in the shallower mouthpiece that gives you a good sound you are probably on the right track.

It may take you weeks or months to get comfortable with the new mouthpiece, depending on how big a chance was required. Once the shallower mouthpiece feels good/comfortable and you can play it "full time" you can decide if you are where you want to be, or if you want to try the next step shallower, which should be easier and take less time -- though likely still weeks.

From my perspective, the shallower mouthpieces make compression easier, which means less effort is required on your part to produce a sound. That helps with endurance up to a point. Also, I feel like shallower mouthpieces help you get your lips in a more efficient set up, which helps as well. One potential downside is sound. You will likely lose some "fullness" or "warmth" from your sound. Also, if your lips swell from allergies, overuse, etc., the shallower mouthpiece offers less room for that.
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, BE's book talks about mouthpieces. I have also been practicing the BE method for almost 2 years. I do it with my smallest and shallowest mouthpiece, a gr64s. but later, for musical things I prefer the yamaha 11b4.

Just an idea. You can try using a shallow mouthpiece for BE practice and then choose to keep using it or change.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may have to do more with the resistance of the mouthpiece-horn combination. Shallowness of the cup is not the only determinant.

For example, I find that a particular shallow mouthpiece (Yamaha Allen Vizzutti Custom GP) is easy to play when with a particular trumpet (Yamaha 8335LA), and does not match as well other trumpets. Conversely, mouthpieces that match better with other trumpets are more difficult to play with 8335LA.
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Can I learn to play a shallow mouthpiece? Reply with quote

Find the mouthpiece that gives you the best response for the instrument and the music you must play.
I had a college instructor that was outstanding on analysing the mechanics of playing (or at least thought he was) but fell short on mouthpiece selection. I was coached away from a 1 1/2 C mouthpiece that I loved and encouraged to move smaller when range and endurance seemed to be an issue. Going smaller (5C) made note accuracy, (splitting notes) tone quality and intonation an issue. Out of college I moved back to the 1 1/2 C and learned that this mouthpiece actually extended my range and endurance, eliminated splitting notes improved tone production and intonation ...of course with the correct mechanics of playing!!!
I encourage all of my high school students to move to the "largest" mouthpiece that they can play on. They enjoy the results! They practice a lot because they enjoy the results! I have a student that demonstrated a double high C (as if that is important ) on his 1 1/2 C.
Schilke
Getzen
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you learn to use a shallow mouthpiece?
Maybe.
As a long time GR dealer, I've learned long ago there are limits to what mouthpieces one can play successfully.
The reason is lip impingement. Trying to "train" your embouchure to fit in a mouthpiece that doesn't have the right alpha angle for you will very likely prove fruitless and frustrating.
I've known a few successful lead/commercial players who use large mouthpieces. The late John Howell used a 1C for his lead work at the old Milll Run Theater in Des Plaines. His upper register was just phenomenal.
Your best bet is to contact a mouthpiece manufacturer and explain what you are trying to accomplish.
You can take the GR questionnaire or contact Pickett, Stork, Curry, Schilke, and other well known manufactures.
Look up Jens Lindemann's mouthpiece "rant" and read what he has learned.

R. Tomasek
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Can I learn to play a shallow mouthpiece? Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
I have heard people say that a shallow mouthpiece makes endurance and range easier. The guys I know who play commercial music full time don't play on big, deep mouthpieces.
Not necessarily...it's more a question of balance. I can play just as high (DHC for example)
on a deep B cup as an S cup. And "big" is a relative term, I use the equivalent of a 4 rim
on all pieces regardless of cup depth/shape. And I prefer the term efficient, which makes
any type or style of playing 'easier.'

The backbore really changes the efficiency (for me) the most, IMHO. And yes, someone said different horns
being a factor is also true. But to your question of how can you go about learning to use a shallow mouthpiece?
Quick answer is just to try some and see if they work for you. I would suggest starting with an
M cup first, and if you like the ACB rim they may make one to match. If not, perhaps check into
a similar Warburton size. I've seen a bunch here and they are relatively inexpensive. The modular system
is perfect for finding that balance that works for you!
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Can I learn to play a shallow mouthpiece? Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
I have never been able to play a shallow mouthpiece. My lips hit the bottom of the cup. I currently use an ACB 3C.

I've been playing for decades successfully but range and endurance had always been difficult. I've been working the BE method for a couple of years. My endurance has greatly increased and my range has gone up a couple of notes. I have good Eb's all the time. E's and F's are there, but I can't bang them out all night.

Hey mike,
Shallow is a balancing act. I think one of the most important features when going shallow is the Inner Diameter. The wider the inner the diameter the easier it is to bottom out for people not accustomed to shallow pieces. Its a compromise really. You need to find the ID that allows you to go shallow, but still provides you the ability to execute.
It is also a change in approach. Almost think of it as the lips vibrating on the edge of the cup versus inside the cup. It goes down that rabbit hole about being efficient that is constantly discussed on TH. That's another topic by itself.
keep experimenting and you'll find the answer, good luck.
tom

And Yamahaguy is right about the backbore. Even the Drill size can effect how you react to a shallow piece. a small drill size, something in the 28 size and a tight backbore can actually keep you from bottoming out, because the back pressure that they create help stop some of the lip intrusion. i expect i'll get called out on this, but i'm speaking in general terms. I have no scientific data to back this up, just my own experience, so take it for what its worth.

all the best,
tom
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, just be sure to do it gradually.

I was hanging with Ray Triscari one day and he gave me a prototype mpc. to try. Very small. Without any real ramp-up period, I just grabbed it and played it on a gig a few days later.

Before the gig was half up, I noticed something red on my mpc. My lips were bleeding. And because that was the only mpc. I brought that day, I had to keep playing on it.

Afterwards, I had to lay off about four days to let my chops heal and then more days to bring my chops up to where they used to be.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
irith
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think it can be learned to an extent. Certainly I am better on smaller mouthpieces when I use them a lot.

But the more dramatic the shift is, the more you're "re-training" your embouchure. If you naturally have a lot of lip in the mouthpiece, it's probably more trouble than it's worth to learn to play a teeny tiny piece right off the bat.

In today's market there are a lot of options for more efficient, commercial style pieces that are accessible for bigger piece players - in GR-speak, ones with lower "alpha angles", giving you the lip room while adding the compression elsewhere in the system.

I'd suggest contacting ACB first with your issues and see if they have a good solution for you.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spending time with it. Actually playing on the piece for a few days, not just trying it after you've been playing on your 3C all day. You need to get used to the sound, response, and feel.
You could learn to play a shallow mouthpiece just like you could learn to play trombone. It just takes time and energy.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're a BE student, I'd suggest doing all the exercises on a shallow mouthpiece. Roll-ins should work great, because rolling in minimizes (or eliminates) lip intrusion into the cup. Roll-outs may well present problems, but that may well be the whole point. If you can figure out how to do roll-outs on a shallow mouthpiece you've redefined the range of motion BE is all about.

I would offer that a smaller diameter can help limit lip intrusion. If necessary, even extremely small.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaking, Jeff initially recommended a DeNicola mouthpiece but has modified that because, in his own words, there are many fine mpc makers today. But the size hasn't changed, and I believe the DeNicola was closest to a Bach 10 1/2. I, personally, use a Reeves 40S. The make may change but the goal of a Bach 10 1/2 size hasn't.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
BRM2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is possible to learn to play shallower mouthpieces. I played a Bach 1 Megatone coming out of high school and eventually bored it out to a larger throat. I eventually played on a GR 67 M and Curry 1M because I was asked to play a variety of different styles when I was in the Army Band. I eventually tried a Marcinkewiz E10 B.Findley. This piece was shallow and tight and but seemed to make my range seem closer together (high and low notes). I eventually tried to learn to play on an E13 C. Findley because the rim diameter was larger. I crashed and burned on one of my first gigs using it. Basically, no sound came out at one point. A few years later, I attended a Wayne Bergeron clinic and he played a little bit of "Taps" which sounded beautiful. At that point, I figured it was all sound concept and tried to learn how to use the shallower cup again.

I can tell you that I play completely different then when I was on the Bach 1.

The thing that helped me was to try to play as efficiently as I could. I cannot inhale the whole room and put it through the mouthpiece like I did using the larger mouthpiece. I take in just enough air. Try to play as relaxed as possible as well. There is very little room for error with tight shallow pieces. I do use syllables when I play ala Maggio. I also do not rely on huge breaths for high notes. It is more compression from abdomen and syllables. I had an "aha" moment when I tried to play a high "G" after reading a book from Pops McLaughlin where he stated to take in half as much air prior to trying a high note.

I do have relatively large lips and I think this approach seems to keep my chops out of the cup.

In your post you stated, "I have heard people say that a shallow mouthpiece makes endurance and range easier. The guys I know who play commercial music full time don't play on big, deep mouthpieces."

Shallow mouthpieces will not make range and endurance easier. It will only aid you an achieving the sound you want a little easier (This might aid endurance a little.). I can play high notes on all of my mouthpieces. I have always had endurance issues on all of them as well.

It is not going to matter which mouthpiece you use, you will still need to figure out what technique or drills will help you improve your range and endurance.
Marcinkiewicz E13 C. FINDLEY
Lotus 2M (Bronze)
GR 67MS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: