• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Picked this Couesnon trumpet up, anyone got any info on it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriumphantTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Picked this Couesnon trumpet up, anyone got any info on it? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Well I put a bid on an online auction for a Couesnon Trumpet.

Now what I really wanted was a better condition case for one of my Buescher Aristocrats whose case has seen better days. I didn't expect to win the auction but turns out I did for £58 plus shipping. It seems such a shame that a beautiful old instrument can sell for so little but I guess that's simply the market today. Anyway, whatever the case I figure that I have landed a case that will fit my Buescher plus a Lew Davis mouthpiece that might be interesting and the trumpet is a rather attractive 'free gift' in the deal.

Having said that, my interest has been piqued as, from the pictures it actually looks to be a rather finely made instrument and I would be keen to know if anyone has any information on the trumpet, it's quality and it's model. All I can find online is a suggestion that it might be from 1932 based on the number inside the 'grenade' on the bell.

Here is a picture of it:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150491124@N07/51711931558/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150491124@N07/51711936668/in/dateposted-public/
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Protec 301 usually fits the longer trumpets, at least it did mine when I had them. You'll want to see whether you can find a Protec dealer and try yours.

The Couesnon trumpet looks interesting.
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
TriumphantTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the Protec case. I can get one here but they aren't exactly cheap at around what I actually paid for the Buescher trumpet itself. I would renovate the case it came in as, while I don't think it's a Buescher case I do think it is period but the cost of new locks or latches, lining and covering make it just too expensive to be worthwhile. I would particularly like to get my hands on one of the original Buescher cases with the rather fetching apple green velvet lining and I may be being ridiculous, I am certainly known to be occasionally, but it sort of feels wrong to have a vintage instrument in a modern case.

I do rather like the design of the Couesnon trumpet and I will be interested to see if it plays OK when it arrives. It certainly looks as if it was more than a 'basic' instrument when it was new and those braces don't look like it would have been intended as a general band instrument or a military instrument. If it doesn't play well I am sure it will look good on the wall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: