• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Low note embouchure helps high notes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chief757

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Low note embouchure helps high notes? Reply with quote

Hey guys. I recently got a tutor because I really need help on practicing and playing, and he suggested I work on pedal tones and lip bends. After a couple days of doing those, I discovered something really weird. I don't know if this is the correct way, but if I use my low note embouchure (talking f# to f low) to play high notes, It's basically effortless up to g or high c. Now, this obviously isn't a very high range for most of you, but to me it's pretty good. The only trouble I have, is that it takes so much focused air that my head starts to hurt. That, and I can't realistically play them. I can only play them by themselves without tonging. Back to the embouchure part, when I play the low notes the more fleshy part of my lips are facing outwards. Am I doing this right? Am I supposed to keep a set embouchure for my entire range? Should I work on permanently switching to this embouchure? Thanks
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask your tutor
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did your tutor suggest or 'approve' the low note embouchure that you are using?

And if yes, then was it also mentioned that the same embouchure could/should be used for high notes?

Unless there was specific instruction from the tutor about embouchure for high notes, then I would not do 'self experimentation' with OTHER uses of the low note embouchure.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've long heard that playing low notes can help refine your embouchure for playing high. But it's not clear to me that you're going about it right. The embouchure you use for playing down to and into the pedal register should be one that allows you to go down there and still be able to play up through your useful range without resetting. If you can't then you'd do well to find out why. Low note work done wrong can be counterproductive to your development.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I preface the following with, you should be discussing this with your tutor, he/she is the only one that has seen/heard you play. Do not be afraid to call them and ask questions in between lessons.

As Cheiden stated, you should not need to reset or contort your embouchure to play into and out of the pedal register. Your goal would be to minimize movement of the embouchure. You mentioned you have only been practicing a few days. I would recommend not getting to far ahead of yourself. Work first on making sure you are using good technique to get the (false F - C#) pedals to sound. Once you have them under control then start working on exercises that move in and out of the pedal register.

As you continue to play these exercises the embouchure should adjust on its own. But that happens after weeks and months of performing them correctly, not days.

You shouldn't worry about tonguing the notes initially unless it was prescribed by your tutor.

Your head should not be hurting. It should take less air to play higher not more air. It sounds like you may be overblowing.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an embouchure that is formed like you're whistling. One can use this setting for Pedal Tones and the formation can be carried up into the stratosphere. It works for some, not everyone.

Also, pedals can be played differently and the embouchure formed differently and Pedal Tones can also be used for other purposes.

You need to know the purpose and rationalisation for using pedals. Ask your teacher where you're supposed to be heading with them.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
chief757

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys. I have another meeting with the tutor tomorrow so I will discuss this stuff with him.

Edit: Stuff came up for the tutor and he moved it to friday
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: