• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reinhart system overview video?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reinhart system overview video? Reply with quote

There is (to me) some sensitivity on exactly what forum some cross-over topics should lie, so excuse me if this is more appropriately elsewhere placed.

Nevertheless, does anyone know of a good YouTube source of a general overview of Reinhart's system? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Youtube per se, but at Wilktone.com there is a series of videos on Reinhardt topics. There isn't one summary video, but a series on the various embouchure types. Very clear and well done, with videos of the embouchures and their "pivots". I recommend them highly. Dave is one of the clearest thinkers and writers on these topics.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the info about Reinhardt's '35 points' mentioned here -
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1549427#1549427

is also informative - especially the SENSATION THEORY considerations.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I I have written material. I was just looking for something I could look at and hear vs. reading. Thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it. For anyone curious, this is what I was looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ99GK0MfuI

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
lambchop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Don't get the sliding up and down Reply with quote

The video did help clarify some things on what I've been reading in the Reinhardt encyclopedia. The characterizations make sense and IIIB seems to apply to me although I'm not sure about A or B. It is uncanny how that type gets good tone and is obsessed with dark tone and can have a too loose embouchure all applied to me, plus the thing about not needing much warmup. I believe I read in the encyclopedia book that all types direct the air more toward the mouthpiece rim when ascending. The video seemed to mention that there was a correlation between the pivot type 1 and 2 and this air stream factor most people would consider to be the pivot, but I'm not sure. Some Bobby Shew info implies one should pivot the air stream upward while ascending dictated by the physics of it all, but I'm inclined to think it depends on the player type per Reinhardt plus the symmetry of the mouthpiece argument that would imply the direction wouldn't matter. In my case I "pivot" the air stream down when ascending but I have no concept of sliding the mouthpiece up or down or at an angle, or "malocclusions". It is a matter of pulling the bottom lip in or out when ascending. In my case I was pulling it in and out for low notes like in the Iron's book. My problem was that I pulled my jaw back to pull the lip back and ascend which is not good per Reinhardt and others. Reinhardt says the lower jaw should slightly protrude when ascending for either characteristic 1 or 2. So does anyone have some insight on the sliding up and down "pivot" and the above?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Don't get the sliding up and down Reply with quote

lambchop wrote:
... So does anyone have some insight on the sliding up and down "pivot" and the above?

---------------------
No real 'insight', but some 'my opinion' guesses -
IMO - the overall goal of pivot / roll / slide / protrude / recede / aiming / pressure / etc.
is to accomplish -
Adjust the lip tissue so that it can mechanically vibrate at the desired pitch. And that includes the lip tension / compression, aperture control, lip tissue exposure, teeth support, etc.

And of course having the lips positioned in a way that air flow can actuate the vibrations.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
lambchop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Don't get the sliding up and down Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

IMO - the overall goal of pivot / roll / slide / protrude / recede / aiming / pressure / etc.
is to accomplish -
Adjust the lip tissue so that it can mechanically vibrate at the desired pitch. And that includes the lip tension / compression, aperture control, lip tissue exposure, teeth support, etc.

And of course having the lips positioned in a way that air flow can actuate the vibrations.

Good idea to keep in mind. Maybe one can read too much significance into something like the pivot of air stream when it could be just a side effect of finding firmer lip tissue position to support the higher vibrations.

Anyway, I'm liking the Reinhardt daily routines for trying embouchure improvements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: