• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette Unity Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone knows their Rick and Morty!
R. Tomasek
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Aw, NUTS. I was hoping that SMrtn's image of a smugly bemused "Unity" from Rick and Morty would be the final post. Such a perfect closer for this particular thread . . .

Ah, the heck with it . . .

Last edited by Halflip on Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Someone knows their Rick and Morty!
R. Tomasek

Hangin' out for season five.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Boy have y'all been sucked in by the Monette marketing.

If it's about research and innovation, then there are mouthpieces half the price that actually do that.

"Research" in Monette speak just means that Mr. Monette did what every other mouthpiece maker has done. They cut some different designs, tried them, then passed the ones they liked to some other players to test and kept the favourites.
It's literally what Bach did 100 years ago. It's not innovation. If you want Innovation,. you'd want a mouthpiece where maths and acoustic science is involved, like GR, but they're half the price. No, I don't play one, I'm just saying. If you're looking for Innovation, you'd probably also buy a Wedge, they're actually doing something different there. Again, I don't play one, just saying.

If it was about innovation, they'd make their standard mouthpieces all available in Silver plate and charge appropriately less. They don't because the gold and the shape are branding like Gucci.

If it's about US companies, there are heaps that do also makes their own mouthpieces etc entirely in the US, as do Pickett Brass, GR, Wedge, Curry, Parke, James New etc.

If you want to buy something because it's pretty and is the trumpet version of buying a designed handbag then go for it. But don't pretend that you're doing it because it makes much of a difference to you ability to play the trumpet.

If their design was really that much better than everything else out there, then all of the top tier players would be using them. Almost none of them are. And I highly doubt it's because they haven't tried one.
The day Hakan, Helseth and Antonsen all switch to Monette is the day I'll be convinced that they're anything particularly special. (And yeah, Wynton sounded better on whatever he played beforehand the monette IMO).
There are a handful of players that sound great on a Monette, but they also sound pretty much identical and can play identically well on any other mouthpiece.

To each their own, but at least accept that you're being sucked in by the marketing and bling factor.

If you were to put some time into research on the English language, you would be more believable. If I were you, I would learn the difference between was and were.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Halflip wrote:
Aw, NUTS. I was hoping that SMrtn's image of a smugly bemused "Unity" from Rick and Morty would be the final post. Such a perfect closer for this particular thread . . .

Ah, the heck with it . . .
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when I thought this thread had reached peak ridiculousness, Joe's gone and upped the ante.
Touché. You sunk my battleship with your impeccable logic.

Please, just let this thread die.

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
SMrtn wrote:
Nonprokingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trumpetchops"]

If you were to put some time into research on the English language, you would be more believable. If I were you, I would learn the difference between was and were.
[/quote]

Monette fanboys are triggered; they can’t “believe” someone because of a grammatical mistake. But, they believe the Monette voodoo, disregarding research and logic.

I wanna be a monette fanboy too, do I need a MySpace first?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:

One . . . last . . . try . . . 🤪
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
My goodness this is ridiculous. Watching a bunch of trumpet players argue like this over mouthpieces. Give me a break. Go practice.

GR

You're one to talk! You've been skating on that one cool fanfare you wrote like 250 years ago. Yes it's great they still play it every Sunday on CBS but what have you done lately?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BudBix wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:
My goodness this is ridiculous. Watching a bunch of trumpet players argue like this over mouthpieces. Give me a break. Go practice.

GR

You're one to talk! You've been skating on that one cool fanfare you wrote like 250 years ago. Yes it's great they still play it every Sunday on CBS but what have you done lately?

Good one!

SMrtn wrote:
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BudBix wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:

GR

Shh...kind of a secret...but I didn't really write it...my boss did.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
BudBix wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:

GR

Hey, I still can't get over the fact that that 'other' Daniel B. conductor is so opinionated about trumpets!

In all seriousness, some recent Monette social media posts show that the first Unity mouthpieces are being sent out to those who put in initial orders. I have at least two upgrades coming up over the next few months: a new Unity B1-1L after years of my experimenting with various Monette lead pieces which will complement the B1-1S1 I use for all-around playing. Also, I'm looking forward to using the new Unity C1-7 on my MC-35 C trumpet, as I've tried a number of different sizes for 'pops' and demanding contemporary literature, where my C1-1S1 is just too 'big' in feel and/or sound.

More updates to follow ---
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:

In all seriousness, some recent Monette social media posts show that the first Unity mouthpieces are being sent out to those who put in initial orders. I have at least two upgrades coming up over the next few months: a new Unity B1-1L after years of my experimenting with various Monette lead pieces which will complement the B1-1S1 I use for all-around playing. Also, I'm looking forward to using the new Unity C1-7 on my MC-35 C trumpet, as I've tried a number of different sizes for 'pops' and demanding contemporary literature, where my C1-1S1 is just too 'big' in feel and/or sound.

-DB

I ordered a Unity B2 in the 1.5 weight for my Monette C trumpet and I'm really looking forward to it! I play the #4 range on my Yamaha Bb but when I bought the C I found that I was able to play better on the B2S3. I'm excited to see if it could actually be that much better.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm NOT starting this up again for any comments, so please only comment if you have something to say about how these pieces play.

I should be getting my B6M next week, but have any of you received your Unity piece? If so, what are your impressions?
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:
BudBix wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:

GR

Hey, I still can't get over the fact that that 'other' Daniel B. conductor is so opinionated about trumpets!

-DB

Interested to know how you find the 1-7. I play a 1-5M, which is not a model they offer in the Unity range. I do have a 1-4 and find the flatter rim helpful. Interested to hear how the 1-7 feels. Its still potentially a bit shallow for me. If it responds like a Prana then it would probably be deep enough, but its not clear how the Unity compares to the Prana.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my B6M. Absolutely blown away. Everything they claim is improved or new is!
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine since the monday after they were announced. I've played Classic, prana, prana resonance, traditional, and the Unity is FAR superior to them. The energy and efficiency in playing is almost unbelievable. The feel of the new rim design, the open but not cavernous throat and backbore, the reasonable weight of the mouthpiece as well. It's been fantastic so far. A friend of mine hopped on the band wagon as well and he's having similar early returns.

These mouthpieces are legit.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Unity Reply with quote

jhahntpt:

Curious how you think Monette may have changed the throat and backbore for the Unity. Do you think either are bigger or smaller?

A lot of players that try Monette mouthpieces struggle with how big his throat and backbores can be.
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Bob Reeve's mouthpiece that was worth $190. There are days I enjoy playing the $35 Yamaha mouthpiece more. Maybe the day will come where I buy a $415 mouthpiece.

But for now I haven't seen the benefit to spending too much. Then again, my opinion could change with time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: