• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn search

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
When I was searching for a flugelhorn, I played a lot of them. I eventually bought a Taylor Standard that I really like and like the sound of, but I also found the old fashioned Yamahas the 631 in particular to be really solid. I prefer the Taylor (some say French) sound, but I do not think you can go wrong with the Yamaha and they can be found in your price range.
Have not played the ACB horns, but I have heard good things and ACB is top notch to deal with.

I like my Yamaha 731 plenty. My tastes have since changed and I'd probably prefer the 631 now. Not too long ago I bought my son an ACB and it sounds/plays nicely too. Both are reasonable choices.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
mikepodorski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a ACB Doubler for about a year and really liked it. It may be the best value in brass instruments. It's not an accident that they sell so many. Great intonation, beautiful sound, and the optimization by the crew at ACB is top notch. It had similar resistance as the Couesnon I had back in the day, but without the intonation issues. As good as it is, it is an entry-level instrument. I recently traded up for a 731 from ACB. Very different. It has a .433 vs .413 bore, which makes it feel a bit more trumpet like in resistance. Beautiful sound and solid intonation. No 3rd slide trigger, but that can be added. Being a pro level Yamaha (I also have a gen 2 Xeno), the build quality is top notch, but it also is about double in price used. I absolutely love it. It has monel pistons vs the yamaloy so the valves are outstanding. I did play the Manchester suggested by austincustombrass when I went to ACB. To be fair, I already fell in love with the Yamaha before I played it, but I did like it. It is a significant upgrade to the Doubler in quality. Similar bore size to the 731, and it has a more modern look. If I remember, the finger buttons are octagonal and recessed and it has a fancy wood trigger.

If I had it to do all over, I would have gone right to a more pro level horn. Not because I had a bad experience with the Doubler, more that I really appreciate the quality. I would recommend the same for trumpets, as well.
tomterriff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you buy, you have a few choices to make. First is small bore (~ .415) vs large bore (.435 - .460).. I suggest you try out each style to see which type fits your playing. Most Yamaha's (except the Bobby Shew model) are large bore horns, as are Getzens and Blessings. Couesnon, Courtois, and Selmer are small bore horns. Second consideration is sound concept. These days there are numerous copper-belled with large bells that have a large dark sound (e.g Kanstul 1525). Many flugelhorns have a lighter, jazzy sound that work better in a combo setting. Examples of those are Couesnon, Kanstul Chicago model. So think about how you are going to use it.

My current and favorite flugelhorn is a Selmer - Model 62 from the 1970s. They are hard to find though they do not tend to be expensive. It is a small bore and very agile horn. I love to noodle around on it and it fits most circumstances.

Good luck in your search.
Picc - Benchmark, Schilke P7
Cornet - Getzen 3850 Bb, Getzen 3810 C
Flugel - Selmer Paris 62, Selmer Concept
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was searching for my first flugelhorn, I tried a number that have not been mentioned. They were new then (2005), they are used now. Likely they all can be found within your budget, if you are patient and resourceful.

Kanstul 1025 (I bought this one)
Besson (Kanstul built. All but identical to the 1025, but cheaper)
Kanstul 925
Besson (Kanstul built. All but identical to the 925)
Yamaha (similar to the 1025)
Blessing (similar to the 1025)

All of these seemed to have a good, Couesnon-like sound, good intonation and good build quality. I liked the quality feel and playability of the Kanstul 1025 the best.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with my Scodwell.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scodwell builds amazing stuff.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Scodwell USA Flugelhorn Reply with quote

To toot my own horn (literally) check my new flugelhorn listing in the TH Marketplace. Under $2K with both rose and yellow brass options and finished in clear or brush lacquer.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the listing
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnino wrote:
I can't find the listing

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=131729&s=Scodwell-USA-Flugelhorn
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnino wrote:

I had the chance to try a Scodwell flugelhorn a number of years ago. I recall that the build quality was top-notch, and that it had a lovely tone that I can only describe as 'creamy'.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Shawnino wrote:

I had the chance to try a Scodwell flugelhorn a number of years ago. I recall that the build quality was top-notch, and that it had a lovely tone that I can only describe as 'creamy'.

Same.
I am a rank amateur so I limit myself to one fluegel, but if I could ever get a second...
taylordiving

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your fantastic replies. I ended up getting a Yamaha 8315G which I'm very happy with. However, if it wasn't for that Tony, I would be more than happy with a Scodwell and am particularly intrigued by the presence of a main tuning slide which I've never seen before on a flugel!
1941 & 1942 Olds Supers
Getzen Eterna Cornet
Yamaha 8315G Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: