• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Moving Past High D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmc129ny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Moving Past High D Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a sophomore in college and I have been playing trumpet since the 4th grade. I've been stuck at D5 on my range for a while now. Every once in a while I've been able to get an Eb out but it's not consistent. Any advice as to how to push past this barrier and continue my progression? Thanks
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in college - talk to the trumpet prof. Are you taking lessons? If not, why not?

Basically how to improve range:

- Proper technique
- Good approach
- Diligent focused practice to increase range
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Finn's suggestions, I would add that the embouchure must be formed right as well as good use of your air.

I had problems in college and neither his graduate assistant nor the professor who is a national name, didn't notice my problem. I spent an entire year, as the saying goes, "Doing the same thing expecting different results". i finally had to lay off playing completely for an entire semester to let my chops un-build so we could then build them back up again.

Frankly, it wasn't until I had a come-back after a trumpet hiatus of a good 16 sax-playing years, that I really got on the right track and that was mostly on my own. The moral is, make darn sure your fundamentals are secure.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that you are in college, but not whether you are studying music or taking lessons. If you are, discuss this with your professor./instructor The vast majority of trumpet literature fits within the range of low F# to high D, so it might not be obvious to your instructor that this is an issue for you.

If you've discussed this with your instructor and the solutions offered are not working for you, then seek out someone else to help you. Bobby Shew is a great resource if there isn't someone local to you.

The one piece of practice advice I would offer is to play some range-focused studies very quietly/softly. I find that playing very softly can help get the chops into a more ideal set up for the upper register. Try playing something like Clarke's first technical study very quietly (no crescendo/decrescendo) and continue as high as you can.

Good luck!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to do something different than what you're doing.

Post video of yourself playing up to the top of your range.

My new policy is I give no input until someone posts video. It's pointless to even begin to make commentary until I see what you're doing and if you can't be troubled to make the effort to post video to YouTube and post a link I can't be troubled either.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes talk with trumpet teacher(s) and listen to words, and WATCH what is actually done.
note: what works for them might not work the same for you!

If too much mpc pressure is STOPPING vibrations or is STOPPING air flow, that's a clue!

Upper lip rim pressure can be reduced by transferring more pressure onto the lower lip - by just pressing (not much actual movement) forward with your lower teeth/jaw. Adjusting the perceived direction of air flow into the mpc cup can produce similar rim pressure change - trying aiming the air UP towards your nose.

Some people have success by beginning with high pitched squeaks and whistles - to get the feeling of embouchure adjustment. Then refine the method to produce usable notes.

Your lip has to be ABLE to vibrate.

And let us know about your results - we want to learn how to give good suggestions!
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has been working for me:

Start each day on a fourth space E and expand each way.

Use a smaller Mpc to 'discover' the next note. You are strong enough you just haven't figured out where the Eb is yet.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back off, both pressure and volume. Rest more in your sessions. You gotta put in some serious face time to learn the instrument, not build strength. As above - your fundamentals are key, especially HOW you do them. I'm not going to say you must do 2 hours a day to get better, everyone is different, but most kids don't practice half as much as they should. It's gotta be smart practice or you will be tearing down, not building up. Remember it is about co-ordination and not strength. You also need a range routine that works for you (which I consider fundamentals, but there are some extremely useful slur exercises etc which helps you "find" some higher pitches). Bryan Davis does Skype lessons, I couldn't recommend him enough. His teaching skill matches his considerable playing skill - which is usually not the case. Oftentimes those who can, can't communicate the "how" - Maurice Murphy being a prime example of this. Additionally - recording your sessions, and get very honest about how good your sound is. Usually your sound is enough to tell you whether or not something is right or wrong. Anyway, speak to Bryan - he will set you straight.

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of good observations above but, really, this shouldn't be resolved over the internet when (we assume) you are studying privately in university.

Not easy to do, but if you can't get it resolved by a teacher with up-close instruction, you need another teacher.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
You have to do something different than what you're doing.

Post video of yourself playing up to the top of your range.

My new policy is I give no input until someone posts video. It's pointless to even begin to make commentary until I see what you're doing and if you can't be troubled to make the effort to post video to YouTube and post a link I can't be troubled either.

This should be posted for every OP who asks why anything. Also for every OP who says they found the answer. Also for every authority talking about a specific method.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: •►1937 Conn 22b◄• Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
You say that you are in college, but not whether you are studying music or taking lessons.

If the OP is playing on a 1937 Conn 22b — as indicated in his signature — I get the feeling that he's not a major player in a major studio at a major music school.

—Denny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: