• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Canadian Brass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Canadian Brass Reply with quote

We've all listened to recordings and watched YouTube videos of Canadian Brass. However, last night I went to see them perform live. I had 3rd row center seats - so close you could hear them inhale. I have to say that their live performance blew away anything I've listened to on recording.

It is impossible to exaggerate how technically proficient and musical those folks are. It was interesting to hear Caleb Hudson and Brandon Ridenour side by side. At the end of a two hour concert, they played Carnival of Venice for an encore.

It was a delight to hear them perform. As far as personal motivation to practice, I was left with two impulses. On one hand, you can't wait to get your own horn in your hand to play. On the other hand, you feel like throwing in the towel. It kind of reminded me of my younger days when I heard Gerard Schwarz for the first time. My overwhelming impression was that if that's what you have to play like to be a pro, I'm wasting my time. I'll never get there.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits, I live in South Carolina also (Hilton Head). Where did they play? Wish I had known, I would have gone to see them.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were in Augusta, GA. They played at Augusta University in the Grover C. Maxwell Performing Arts Theatre. It was a nice venue. The performance sold out.

Warm regards,
Grits
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Grits.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Brass Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
if that's what you have to play like to be a pro, I'm wasting my time. I'll never get there.

Warm regards,
Grits

Grits, pick a nice sunny day and busk for an hour. Maybe you'll make ten bucks. Buy a cup of coffee and a donut. You'll have change left over. You're a pro. And you'll feel great.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen them live a couple of times, last time was at the Ferguson Center at Christopher Newport U. a few years back when Chris Coletti was still with them and then a long time in the past with older members. They are great in person, and recordings do not do them justice. Not only is the playing wonderful, the show is great too. I wonder how long Chuck will be able to keep it up.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canadian Brass came to my college for a weekend to do performances with our concert band and also by themselves. It was a great weekend, got to talk and hang out with them a bit.

This was in the Jens Lindemann, Ronnie Romm, David Ohanian, Gene Watts, and Chuck era.

I'll second the sound they had. Wow.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Brass Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
Grits, pick a nice sunny day and busk for an hour. Maybe you'll make ten bucks. Buy a cup of coffee and a donut. You'll have change left over. You're a pro. And you'll feel great.

Well, I had not thought about it like that.

I was young and did not have any professionals to mentor me. I have since learned that not everybody has to have the same voice. One of my favorite trumpet players is Shaye Cohn of Tuba Skinny fame. She doesn’t play like Gerard Schwarz, but I could listen to her all day long and so can hundreds of other folks.

In the end, it is all about making beautiful music.

Warm regards
Grits
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm what instruments they are currently performing on or endorsing? Is the Bach/Conn deal still in play? They were Schilke way back, then Yamaha for a loooong time, then their own CB line by Getzen and a few others manufacturers for the Tuba, and French Horn. Back to Yamaha and Then Bach. I curious what the current situation is. A new mouthpiece line is from B.A.C. Can anyone see if the program notes say anything about who’s making the horns they are currently using.
Thanks.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canadian Brass are amazing musicians, and the vast majority of the ones I have known have been great guys, too. Highly recommended.
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Canadian Brass Reply with quote

I am learning a lot by listening to the solo work of Brandon Ridenour and Caleb Hudson
and Elmer Churampi (has practiced with Caleb)
Schilke
Getzen
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1986 the Canadian Brass came to Tanglewood, where I was playing trombone in the student brass quintet program. The Empire Brass were artists-in-residence at the time, so we listened to Smedvig, Morrison, Hackleman, Hartman, and Pilafian every on a weekly basis. The Canadian Brass (Mills, Romm, Ohanian, Watts, and Daellenbach) gave a mini concert for the quintet students during their week at Tanglewood.

The contrast was striking, which is not meant to imply judgement. But it was nice to hear a different style of quintet playing at the time.

At the end of the week the Canadian Brass, Empire Brass, and Boston Symphony brass section were featured in a concert. Here's the program:

https://archives.bso.org/Detail.aspx?UniqueKey=3865

Good memories!
JensenW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Canadian Brass Reply with quote

A number of years ago I saw the original Canadian Brass at the Kennedy Center on two occasions. Simply brilliant. I haven't had the oppotunity to see the next generation of the CB however. But I am sure they still put on an excellent show with superb technical facility.

Wade

The goal is to be a better trumpeter today than I was yesterday.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are great. I remember hearing Mnozil Brass live, once. They were riveting.
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Canadian brass Reply with quote

I heard them in Milwaukee last night. Truly spectacular. Chris Coletti and Caleb Hudsen.

How long can Chuck do it - judging by last night he is getting down to his last 50 years or so. During the performance of Frosty the Snowman, Chuck (as Frosty) slowly melted into a puddle on the floor. Kept playing the entire time. Stood up at the end and swung his tube overhead. (I'm old enough these days to appreciate this.)

Caleb on piccolo for Penny Lane was a rare moment. World class. Filled a large hall with a gentle tone. We were balcony, halfway back.

Chris Coletti's Amazing Grace was - amazing. That performance alone was worth the price of admission.

And ending with a dueling trumpets - trumpet duet of Carnival of Venice was fantastic.

We took my 89-year-old mom, one of the original Canadian Brass fans. She was thrilled too. (I blame / credit her for starting me on trumpet.)
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: