• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
garynuke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Warning Reply with quote

I sent money to a TH seller for an expensive mouthpiece to the Venmo address they requested. Got confirmation the money was received. The seller claims they never received the money and asked me to send ANOTHER $200 to another address. Neither of these Venmo addresses corresponded to the .gmail address the seller provided. This person sounded very butthurt that I suspected I was being scammed, and has not send the mouthpiece I clearly paid for. I used friends and family and Venmo will not step in to help me. A request for the money to be returned went unanswered.
So, NEVER try to be friendly and use Friends and Family payments.
Even if the person is a college trumpet instructor.
Merry Christmas to the slimeball. I hope you get the karmic lesson you claimed to believe in.
You are welcome.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Venmo for online things is a sure tip-off to shadiness.

PayPal "Friends and Family" is ... exactly for that. If some is selling you something and want to use Friends and Family and they're neither - you're probably getting scammed. If you manage to get your item using it, you're fortunate indeed.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP mentioned “Friends and Family” a couple of times, but I thought that was a PayPal feature, not Venmo.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
The OP mentioned “Friends and Family” a couple of times, but I thought that was a PayPal feature, not Venmo.

Yeah.

I don't think there is a "Friends and Family" feature for Venmo, I think the Venmo as a whole IS basically "Friends and Family" - basically no "purchase" protection because that's not what it for. Could be wrong on that, haven't delved much into Venmo.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Yeah.

I don't think there is a "Friends and Family" feature for Venmo, I think the Venmo as a whole IS basically "Friends and Family" - basically no "purchase" protection because that's not what it for. Could be wrong on that, haven't delved much into Venmo.

I did a little Google foo before replying. The Forbes website said exactly what I bolded.

I also read an article that a common scam is to reverse the payment after the receiver gets notified and before the money is posted. Apparently there is the equivalent of the float time that checks is used to have.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, Venmo is basically electronic cash. We used to use it in a tennis league when we had to pay for the entire team in one payment at a facility. Well, youngsters don't carry cash always (to be clear, I don't qualify as a youngster, and often have cash). Thus, they would often Venmo to pay for their potion of the court fees. This is, I believe, exactly what it was intended for.

Basically, you're handing someone else a wad of cash - just online - in an unregulated online transaction and hoping they'll follow through and send you the goods. This isn't what Venmo was designed for. I think the best you have is a receipt for money sent to [whom or whatever] and that's it.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I also read an article that a common scam is to reverse the payment after the receiver gets notified and before the money is posted. Apparently there is the equivalent of the float time that checks is used to have.

Venmo wrote:
Venmo Support can only reverse a payment if the recipient gives their explicit permission, their account is in good standing, and they still have the funds available in their Venmo account. Venmo Support cannot reverse a payment at the sender’s request.

Hmm. Maybe I can’t believe everything I read online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: