• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

good quality cup mute

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: good quality cup mute Reply with quote

I thought looking for mutes would be like getting guitar pedals. It is like known in the guitar world, such-and-such pedal is great for your collection. I went on-line yesterday and started looking for great cup mutes and came across Soulo, Denis wick, Jo-Ral, Mutec, and many others.

I ended up going to YouTube and listening to a bunch and then after a while I was like "hmmm I guess it is like anything else, personal preference." However, I was leaning much toward the Soulo one.

I was wondering which cup mutes y'all use and why you use them. I think this might also help me make a decision.

Thanks in advance,
~Arty
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day-to-day, I use the Soulo cup mute with felt applied to the inside of the cup. I think that this is a good facsimile of the classic Ray Robinson sound; coupled with the ability to adjust the cup closer or further from the bell.

However, for shows, I prefer the H&B Mic-a-Mute or the Ray Robinson (actually, more often, I use the Ingram MuteMeister version to preserve my RR.) IMHO, the Mic-a-Mute is a great choice and is often overlooked due to association with the standard H&B cup. Of course, if it's fitted correctly, the standard H&B is a good cup.

Many people still prefer the Denis Wick mute and I own one, but I don't use it unless I'm playing in a section of them.

HTH

Ben

Ben
gord-o
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am playing in a trumpet section and most everyone else has the Humes And Berg cup then that's what I use for that gig, especially big band gigs. I also have a Wick cup that is better but sounds different. The Wick gets used for brass band and concert band playing more often than big band. In the end I like to use something similar to what the rest of the section is using so that there isn't a very different mute sound in the section. If your situation is you playing solo then you can get whatever you want. If you like the Soulo, then get it and love it. I have and really don't like the Jo-Ral cup, BTW.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are playing in a section the two mutes I see most frequently are the Humes and Berg Stonelined cup mute and the Denis Wick adjustable cup mute.

The Huber Adjusta-Cup mute has three cup-shape options, including one like the H&B. It offers a lot of versatility. Probably the best one-mute option you can find.

The Clary adjustable wood cup mutes are wonderful, with a distinct sound. A really nice option for solos.
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton,

You mentioned the wooden mutes. It is funny. I went to their site and contacted him. I am interested in his product. I also wanted to know if he has an Amazon store so I can use my credits for a purchase. I went to his site looking for a cup mute and for some reason left thinking the bucket mute was what I wanted.

So, yeah, the possibilities are apparently endless.

~Arty
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
If you are playing in a section the two mutes I see most frequently are the Humes and Berg Stonelined cup mute and the Denis Wick adjustable cup mute.

If you're not sure what cup mute to get, and you're not able to try some out at a local store, these are 2 popular choices (H&B and Denis Wick).

That being said, I also have a Soulo cup mute, which is adjustable like the Denis Wick, but notable lighter in weight. I also have a Bach 1861 cup mute, which is a nice H&B alternative.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what kind of playing.

If you’re playing shows, hard to beat a H&B cup or mic-a-mute.
Ray Robinson’s are great….but expensive and more difficult to find.
Huber Mutes makes a nice 3D printed copy of the RR.

For general playing, the Soulo is fantastic.
Much better than the Wick.
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Ingram Mute-Meister.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to go wrong with the H&B cup. But to get the right sound you MUST file the corks. I file mine so the mute nearly touches the bell. If I need a more open sound I just pull it back a bit and hold it. If you don't file the corks you get a honky sound that's halfway to that of a straight. That's not how cups are supposed to sound.

For years I used to scoff at the Wick adjustable for having the wrong sound but at my very last trial I rather liked it. Either my hearing or my taste may have changed.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try removing the rubber ring around the cup on a Dennis Wick cup mute. It just pulls off, can easily be replaced. I find that the Wick without ring and cup adjusted to about 1/4" from the bell blends with a section of H&B cups pretty nicely.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Wallace with the adjustable cup. Great sound, I really like the fact I can adjust the cup over a large distance and change the sound accordingly. BUT this thing is heavy.

Would love to try the Huber, didn’t like the Wick at all and sold it again.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
The Huber Adjusta-Cup mute has three cup-shape options, including one like the H&B. It offers a lot of versatility. Probably the best one-mute option you can find.

Have you played this one? I ran across it and almost ordered one during Black Friday weekend. I couldn't decide between it and their regular RR style cup. Thus, I got nothing. But, I'm curious.

- to the general point of cups.

H&B is the standard cup mute. As with other mutes, the corks need to be fitted and filed for it to work well. The other issue is that the cup is a variable mute, sometimes you want a "tight" cup or a more "open cup." This is tricky to do with a single mute.

Enter the "adjustable cup mute." Allows you to have a tight cup or a open cup in the same mute. Also, for those who have multiple horns, it's more versatile because what's a tight cup in one horn might not work the same in another. The bells on my Selmer Radial and Benge 3X aren't the same and mutes need some adjustment. With the adjustable cup you can deal with these variables. I used to have 2-3 H&B Cups that I schlepped around at times, which was annoying. Now, this is unecessary.

The Wick is a the standard cup and used to be the most widely available adjustable cup (probably still is). It's fine, it's in tune, it's adjustable, the sound is.... eh, fine. It's not the same as the H&B in terms of tone, it's a bit more.... bland? I've tinkered around with removing the rubber ring and it does change the sound, but it's been awhile since I've done that.

The Soulo is pretty intriguing and I've almost bought it a few times. The sound is a bit ... nicer? It's got the adjustability advantage. I think I still like the general H&B, not to mention Ray Robinson sound a bit more, but it's got versatility to go with it. A colleague in band has one and I've played it some. Nice mute, not as heavy as the Wick.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn

Last edited by Crazy Finn on Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: cup mute Reply with quote

I use the Ingram Mute-Meister cup mute.

Best,

Scott
Pickett Mouthpieces
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a H&B, Wick, trumcor, and a Soulo. I bought the Soulo on a whim a month ago and it plays circles around the rest, at least for most of my applications
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dayton wrote:

Have you played this one? I ran across it and almost ordered one during Black Friday weekend. I couldn't decide between it and their regular RR style cup. Thus, I got nothing. But, I'm curious.

Yes, I have the Huber Adjusta-Cup and all three cups. Terrific mute. If I could only have one cup mute it would be this one. With the scalloped cup it sounds similar to an H&B. With the felt-lined straight cup it sounds similar to a Ray Robinson. The deeper bowl cup adds another sound option along the lines of a Shastock. And, of course, the cups are adjustable, which gives you a LOT to work with.

If you want to come as close as possible to the RR sound, the one-piece Huber cup mute is the better option as it has a similar body to the RR, but the Adjusta-Cup with the felt-lined bowl comes pretty close. Neither is exact as the materials are different than the RR.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Yes, I have the Huber Adjusta-Cup and all three cups. Terrific mute. If I could only have one cup mute it would be this one. With the scalloped cup it sounds similar to an H&B. With the felt-lined straight cup it sounds similar to a Ray Robinson. The deeper bowl cup adds another sound option along the lines of a Shastock. And, of course, the cups are adjustable, which gives you a LOT to work with.

If you want to come as close as possible to the RR sound, the one-piece Huber cup mute is the better option as it has a similar body to the RR, but the Adjusta-Cup with the felt-lined bowl comes pretty close. Neither is exact as the materials are different than the RR.

Thanks for responding!

Is it also adjustable in a similar fashion to a Wick or Soulo, as in you can vary from a tight to more open cup and can adjust to different bells? I have a Wick and it's fine, I have several H&Bs which I like and sound better but the versatility of the Wick is useful for different horns, different situations. I've been on the brink of getting a Soulo mute, but having played it a bit, it was better but also didn't blow me away.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it also adjustable in a similar fashion to a Wick or Soulo

Yes, the Huber Adjusta-Cup is adjustable, and adjusts the same way that those two mutes adjust.

I have an Emo aluminum cup mute that you adjust by rotating the cup. That's the only other approach to Adjustable " that I have seen.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Humes & Berg cup mute is the industry standard and has been for over 75 years.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:
Is it also adjustable in a similar fashion to a Wick or Soulo

Yes, the Huber Adjusta-Cup is adjustable, and adjusts the same way that those two mutes adjust.

I have an Emo aluminum cup mute that you adjust by rotating the cup. That's the only other approach to Adjustable " that I have seen.

Thanks for your insight. I'll probably pull the trigger on that at some point. I haven't played my horn in a while, so I should probably do that, first.

Do you have the "A" - straight Shastock style body or the "B" tapered one?

You seem to have a few cups you've tried. Any thoughts on the Soulo?
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have the "A" - straight Shastock style body or the "B" tapered one? You seem to have a few cups you've tried. Any thoughts on the Soulo?

I have the "A" style, which exactly matches the shape and size of my Shastock cup mute body. I don't recall the "B" style body being an option when I purchased mine, but I would have purchased the "A" either way.

Regarding the Soulo, it offers a different take on the cup mute sound. It isn't trying to be a Shastock or Ray Robinson. I think it is nice to have a different (sound) color option. As a minor gripe, I find that the design of the Soulo makes it harder to get in and out of the horn quickly (than other adjustable mutes) without changing the position of the cup unless it is slid forward to be snug against the bell.

Another fine option for the mute inventory is a Clary adjustable wood cup mute. Beautiful mutes with a nice, even sound. Tom Clary offers round or scalloped cups to give you even more sound options. Perhaps not a first choice to use in a section of H&B cup mutes, but a really nice option for solos or small ensemble playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: