• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Denis Wick Harmon mute stem falling out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shecanplay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Denis Wick Harmon mute stem falling out Reply with quote

Any please tips on how to stop the stem falling out whilst playing with an extended stem??? also how stop mute falling out when having to do a quick changeover ie no time to breath up bell
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the extended stem, light asymmetry/distortion at the stem end would increase the friction.

As posted by Tim Wendt:
trpthrld wrote:
Get a piece of bicycle inner tube from a mountain / trail bike. 1 3/4" is the size you want to go for. A street / road bike tube will be too small in diameter (although I did use that size for my piccolo Harmon mute).

Cut a section that is about 1 1/2 inches long. Wash it out (it will probably have powder on the inside), let it dry.

Now for the hard part - spread it open & work it over the cork on your mute. This is easiest done with the mute set on a sturdy, flat, non-skid surface. You might need to work it down with your fingers. It will fit properly when the tube wraps around the edge of the cork (where the cork is at its widest).

It's important to leave the cork on the mute. This will not only provide a surface and edge for the tube to grip onto, but it will also keep the mute a proper distance from the bell.

Trim any excess tube from the mute hole.

I don't use any kind of adhesive. I find the natural grip from the rubber trying to get back to its original size more than enough to keep it in place. On the rare occasions where it starts to slip off, I just work it back into place. It has never "snapped" off.

The rubber provides a solid grip in the bell, and it's also easier to remove when you're going to "open."

I have done this to all my Harmon & Bubble mutes, and in the last 3 years, they have fallen out maybe 2 or 3 times total for all.

I've also done an A/B test with a mute just cork & mute cork with inner tube. To my ears and the ears of others who were listening, there was no change in sound. We were a bit surprised, as you'd think rubber would dampen the sound. But to our ears, that proved not to be true.

If you don't have a bike or friends who do, inner tubes are very inexpensive and will give you more than enough material to do all your personal mutes, the mutes of your section mates, the mutes of complete strangers...
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw it in the garbage bin which is it’s natural habitat.
shecanplay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you! off to dismantle kids bikes
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetman's #7 slide grease is extremely tacky. Apply a light coating to the stem and it will stay put. Aside from specific instructions by the composer to leave the stem in, it is usually left out to lurk in the bottom of your mute bage.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Throw it in the garbage bin which is it’s natural habitat.

Yep.

Disclaimer: the following is not helpful to the OP, just an interesting story.

Friend of mine said he was playing at a high school jazz band clinic many years ago, Kenton’s band was running the clinic. My friend played a solo with a harmon, with the stem in. Kenton stopped the song, asked my friend to hand him the mute, took out the stem and threw the stem across the gym floor, then handed the mute back to him.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: