• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thane Trumpets - let's hear more about them

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Thane Trumpets - let's hear more about them Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've read the couple of threads on these horns already. Hoping to hear more from owners now that a bit more time has passed: did you get the 37 or the 72 bell? Regular or Performance series? Likes? Dislikes? And what more common horns would you compare yours to?

I'm looking at a new horn purchase fairly soon -- which would be my first new horn in a couple of decades. Nothing fancy, just a do-everything horn with the core of a Bach, intonation and playing ease of a Schilke, and the ability to cut like a Calicchio. Easy!

There are a few others on the wish list but am hoping for specific feedback on Thane at this time - thanks.
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I will chime in on this.
I’ve had my Thane Preformance Bb trumpet with the 72 style bell for about 6 weeks now. I’m still getting adjusted to the horn but the more I play it the more it grows on me. What I have noticed is I feel like I have a little more endurance and maybe a little better range on this horn compared to my Shew II horn. Would I recommend this trumpet to other players, YES, definitely but it does take time to adjust to any new horn. I must say that Logan’s build quality is absolutely the very best. The horn is beautiful and I really love the valve block on this horn, only takes a couple of turns to get the valve cap off for oiling the valve. Give Logan a call if you have any questions about his horns.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those have been around for 50 years at least. They allow you to have two pipes on your horn and go back and forth until you are sure you want to change the pipe. It keeps you from making a mistake.

The picture is the instructions on how to use it.

The main caveat is that the pipe does play differently after it is soldered and braced than it does when it’s only suspended by the ends. Sometimes it play better before soldering but usually better after soldering in place.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my Thane for a little more than 3 months now, having received it in August. I've probably played it for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day since it arrived, so I've got about 200 hours of playing experience with it at this point. I've previously posted some photos of it in the "Trumpet Eye Candy" thread on this forum, if you care to see those. I think my post there was around Nov. 21.

I came to the Thane from a Bach Strad 72 MLV, which I had always liked a lot. But it had around 40 years of play on it, and as I was making a comeback after a few years away, I was feeling that horn wasn't making my efforts as easy as I would have liked. I went for the Performance model with the 72 bell in gold brass, as I was aiming for a somewhat darker sound quality vs. a 37-style horn in yellow brass. I wasn't keen on the raw brass look as the horn ages, so I had mine done in silver plate; I think it may have been only the second silver horn Logan has done.

I'm sure that some overhaul work would solve some of my issues with my Strad (which I still own), but comparing the two horns, I find the Thane is more responsive, blows more freely, is easier to play at low volumes, slots better, plays with better intonation, and has smoother, faster, and quieter valves. I have also really liked the Amado water keys, though I'm aware of the issues some people have had with sticking with that style of water key.

I don't really have anything to criticize about it, so I can't help you much on negatives or downsides. I do seem to feel that I get less feedback behind the horn than I was used to when playing in my church sanctuary, but that may be partly because I have a new mouthpiece (a Lotus 1L) that I've been using on the Thane. It's not a major issue, and I've gotten positive feedback from one of my fellow musicians who was a trumpet major, so I feel confident about the projection and sound on the audience side.

The sound profile is not unlike my Bach - I still sound like myself (I have about 50-something years of playing Bachs behind me). Logan's craftsmanship is excellent, and I really love the look and feel of the horn well. If I find myself in the market for a C trumpet or a fluegel, I won't hesitate to go back to Thane a second time.

Ray
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynjtrumpet wrote:
I have a new mouthpiece (a Lotus 1L) that I've been using on the Thane. Ray

Funny, I ordered the same mouthpiece and it should be here tomorrow. I am interested in how it might work for me but I do really like the GR67s I am currently using. You can see photos of my horn that Logan posted on his Facebook page about 6 week’s ago. It has meteorite finger buttons.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
raynjtrumpet wrote:
I have a new mouthpiece (a Lotus 1L) that I've been using on the Thane. Ray

Funny, I ordered the same mouthpiece and it should be here tomorrow. I am interested in how it might work for me but I do really like the GR67s I am currently using. You can see photos of my horn that Logan posted on his Facebook page about 6 week’s ago. It has meteorite finger buttons.

That horn's a beauty, for sure. I've played the Lotus mouthpiece almost exclusively for most of my time with the Thane, because it felt a little more comfortable to me than the Monette Tradition Plus 2 I had been using (that's roughly a B2S3 in a Bach-like profile). But today I was going back and forth between the two, and I'm not sure I feel much difference anymore. Go figure. Probably it's just that another three months of regular playing have strengthened my embouchure; I'm now about 10 months into my comeback.

Ray
Theshinytrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Thane Performance Bb and it's incredible! Build quality, sound, and customer service are all super top notch! I'd be happy to talk about mine more in depth on the phone or let you play it if you're in the chicago area.
Soulo Mutes
www.rockfordtrumpetstudio.com
scottseward

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I both a 72 and love it. I am selling my model 37 Performance series for $2500 -
https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=131735&s=Thane-Performance-Series-Bb-Trumpet-Model-37-

I know this might get deleted, but thought it was worth mentioning. The 37 is more Bach like, but a fantastic horn. I just love the colors on the 72. I had my 37 satin lacquered which to some might degrade its value, but it sure looks a lot better.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just placed an order for a larger bell Thane Performance.

I spent a few hours playing the Thane at ITG yesterday and today…as well as many, many other horns…including Lotus.

The Thane Performance (large bell) was absolutely the best playing horn at ITG. I currently have an X-13 that is obviously a killer horn, but the Thane was more effortless to play and had the sound I was looking for.

On top of the horn being extremely high quality, Logan Thane himself is a pleasure to chat with and is extremely responsive when it comes to any questions or concerns you have.
Last night I was creeping around on the Thane Facebook page and asked if he had thoughts on using MAW valves on the horn.
Well today when I decided to go to ITG, I was surprised to see that Logan had a set of MAW valves on the table and told me, “I saw your comment last night, so I brought them for you to try.” What a guy!

Last edited by ericmpena on Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:

I spent a few hours playing the Thane at ITG yesterday and today…as well as many, many other horns…including Lotus.

The Thane Performance (large bell) was absolutely the best playing horn at ITG. I currently have an X-13 that is obviously a killer horn, but the Thane was more effortless to play and had the sound I was looking for.

On top of the horn being extremely high quality, Logan Thane himself is a pleasure to chat with and is extremely responsive when it comes to any questions or concerns you have.
Last night I was creeping around on the Thane Facebook page and asked if he had thoughts on using MAW valves on the horn.
Well today when I decided to go to ITG, I was surprised to see that Logan had a set of MAW valves on the table and told me, “I saw your comment last night, so I brought them for you to try.” What a guy![/img]

I'm glad you had such a positive experience with the Thane Performance large bell, Eric. Did you decide to order it with MAW valves? That's one of the options I still wonder about whether I should have asked for, but at the time I ordered mine, I wasn't even aware that Logan would do that. I think he built his first MAW valve model a couple of months later, but I''m not clear on whether he did it as just an experiment, or he actually shipped it to a customer. Can you tell us more about the difference you felt with the MAW valves?
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynjtrumpet wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

Well today when I decided to go to ITG, I was surprised to see that Logan had a set of MAW valves on the table and told me, “I saw your comment last night, so I brought them for you to try.” What a guy![/img]

I'm glad you had such a positive experience with the Thane Performance large bell, Eric. Did you decide to order it with MAW valves? That's one of the options I still wonder about whether I should have asked for, but at the time I ordered mine, I wasn't even aware that Logan would do that. I think he built his first MAW valve model a couple of months later, but I''m not clear on whether he did it as just an experiment, or he actually shipped it to a customer. Can you tell us more about the difference you felt with the MAW valves?

The MAW valves surprisingly made the horn a little less responsive and dampened the sound. I was hoping the MAW valves would have a positive effect on the horn, but honestly they’re not a good match for the Thane. Logan agreed with me about the valves….which is why he doesn’t use MAW valves on his horn unless a buyer specifically requests them.
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ericmpena"]
raynjtrumpet wrote:
[quote="ericmpena"
The MAW valves surprisingly made the horn a little less responsive and dampened the sound. I was hoping the MAW valves would have a positive effect on the horn, but honestly they’re not a good match for the Thane. Logan agreed with me about the valves….which is why he doesn’t use MAW valves on his horn unless a buyer specifically requests them.

Thanks for that feedback, Eric. I guess I won't order a replacement set of MAW valves It's a little surprising, since there are other boutique builders out there (Martin Boehme comes to mind) who go exclusively with MAW. But maybe you have to make some other modification, e. g., changing the bore of the slides, to the horn to take full advantage of them.

Still very happy with my non-MAW Thane, though!
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="raynjtrumpet"]
ericmpena wrote:
raynjtrumpet wrote:
[quote="ericmpena"

Thanks for that feedback, Eric. I guess I won't order a replacement set of MAW valves It's a little surprising, since there are other boutique builders out there (Martin Boehme comes to mind) who go exclusively with MAW. But maybe you have to make some other modification, e. g., changing the bore of the slides, to the horn to take full advantage of them.

I was fortunate enough to spend at least 2 hours playing a Tumultus at ITG. The horn plays incredibly smooth…like butter. It took a decent amount of effort to really open up the sound and project. I would say that’s my only complaint about it. You really needed to put lots of air in the horn to get it to resonate and throw the sound.

In contrast, the large bell Thane was the easiest and most versatile horn I played. Minimal effort produced a wonderful, large sound. Even when my chops were sorta getting tired and I felt like I should be struggling…the Thane’s playability was so easy that I never felt like stopping.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="raynjtrumpet"]
ericmpena wrote:
raynjtrumpet wrote:
[quote="ericmpena"

I will add, the MAW valves on the Tumultus felt amazing. That might have been my favorite thing about the horn. The valves felt perfect.

I was hoping the Thane would feel equally as good with the MAW valves, but honestly the regular valves on the Thane feel on par with the Tumultus MAW setup.

I don’t believe you’re losing anything at all by not having the MAW valves. And like I mentioned, and Logan also agreed, the MAW valves had no positive effect on the horn…and actually gave me undesirable changes to the sound.
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena you are going to love the horn. I have had my Thane trumpet for 14 months now and constantly remind myself it was a good decision. I will add that Logan’s design goal of being able to alter the sound by changing mouthpieces is also achieved, making the horn work well in different playing situations, so it should serve you well.

Logan is a great guy and I’m glad you have that personal connection to the builder - it makes owning the horn that much more meaningful.

May the new trumpet bring you musical success and happiness. Welcome to club Thane!

Matt
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattdalton wrote:
ericmpena you are going to love the horn. I have had my Thane trumpet for 14 months now and constantly remind myself it was a good decision. I will add that Logan’s design goal of being able to alter the sound by changing mouthpieces is also achieved, making the horn work well in different playing situations, so it should serve you well.

Logan is a great guy and I’m glad you have that personal connection to the builder - it makes owning the horn that much more meaningful.

May the new trumpet bring you musical success and happiness. Welcome to club Thane!

Matt

That’s great to hear! My buddy has serial number 34 and says he loves it more everyday.
Aside from the horn being fantastic, Logan himself is such a nice guy. For hours I was hovering around his table and playing his trumpets off to the side while he spoke with other attendees…yet he always had feedback for me..as if he was listening to every note. And his feedback was spot on to what I was feeling with whichever horn I was trying.
It’s very cool to have that personal connection to the builder himself. Just another perk of owning a Thane.

mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great picture of the two of you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: