• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Creating a listener friendly recital

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Recital Reply with quote

Jason Rogers wrote:
Should go without saying:

1. Don't play poorly.....

There are trumpet players out there...at all levels...that need guidance!!!

Some with lots of experience that think excreting high notes is a display of prowess....

It should go without saying, but it's not always the case.

When my daughter was in high school, it was at a time when the TV show "American Idol" was still popular, so they would do an annual talent show where kids would basically do a karaoke type of performance to be graded by judges.

I always went because my daughter always performed (she never won but she always placed) and I remember watching this one kid. He was in drama and usually had a main role in the musicials, so he could sing, but he just crapped all over this song he chose to sing - simply put, it was too high and out of his vocal range.

As part of the "High School Idol" program, they would always do the Q/A with the contestant and judges, and after he'd completely butchered the song, he commented during the Q/A about worrying about the high note in the song - the one he completely failed and missed - all day.

Seriously - this kid sang a song he didn't have the capability of pulling off ON PURPOSE! He KNEW going into it that he was most likely going to butcher it, but he chose to do it anyway. Why would someone do that?

It's much better to do something that isn't as difficult, but to play it really well, than to go for something that's outside of your ability to really play well, and do it poorly.

But trumpet players...well, this is why we can't have nice things.

Link

- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Recital Reply with quote

[quote="trickg"]
Jason Rogers wrote:
Should go without saying:

1. Don't play poorly.....

But trumpet players...well, this is why we can't have nice things.

Link

OMG... I've never missed Tastee... Thanks, Patrick...

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: