• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback trumpet player, trying to figure cornet mouthpiec

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pege

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Comeback trumpet player, trying to figure cornet mouthpiec Reply with quote

Hi all,

Looking for suggesting on which, if any, cornet mouthpieces you can suggest.

After more or less not playing for 7-8 years I've picked up the cornet to play in a local (British) brass band. Before that I studied trumpet at college.

Partly on the advice on this board I've wanted to pick a "proper" cornet mouthpiece, play on nothing else and not worry about similarities with my old trumpet setup. I had a lewington mccan mouthpiece so picked that, which was going okish for the last month.

Here's maybe where I went wrong, today I tried playing on a Bach 1.25C mouthpiece and was blown away by how much easier I found everything. Articulation, dynamics, range, security all so much easier. Tone obviously not really, it just sounds like a trumpet😅.

So that's got me wondering, have I given the mccan a fair go and I'd do ok to try something else. Or is it more likely it's the extra cup depth I'm working against anyway and I should stick with it? My angle is thinking maybe the big flat rim isn't working for me.

Anyway, appreciate any advice. I'm a long time lurker on here so love seeing the different opinions here, and also know how stereotypical this is for a new poster🙂.

Cheers
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a stock Yamaha short-shank pieces would be a better compromise.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that a Wick 4B a good starting mpc for BBB. Perhaps comparing your current mpcs with the Wick will tell you a lot about your preferences.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Pege

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both.

Looks like one of the wicks bs or the Yamaha 16e will be a good place to start.

Maybe not the time though right now...

Cheers again
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to find a mouthpiece that works for you... a balance between the tone you want on a given instrument, one lets your chops function at a high level, and one that fits the instrument properly. (tone, articulation, pitch, flexibility, consistency, compression, etc)

With that said, I agree that Curry 3 rims are something to try. 3DC. is a wonderful cornet design. Warning, I once tried a Curry 3FL on a Flugel and now I have a Curry 3 rim for all of my trumpets (Cornet & Flugel)

Then practice, practice, practice.. be sure not to lose the sound of the cornet, too many play them like they're trumpets. Practice softly, and find the voice of the instrument.
Retired Air Force Bandsman

Last edited by zaferis on Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: