• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Herb Alpert-- "The Christmas Wish," etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassman19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Herb Alpert-- "The Christmas Wish," etc. Reply with quote

Hi. I received for Christmas this year Herb Alpert's "The Christmas Wish" most recent (2017) cd, and wanted to mention and discuss it and him here on TH.

Does anybody else have and listen to this album, and if so, what do you think of it? I personally like it a great deal overall, even more than the TJB's Christmas album from 1968 (which I still really enjoy). The arrangements are top notch, well-performed, and very unique and original, IMO (his rendition of the Carpenters' old hit, "Merry Christmas Darling, which was arranged and orchestrated by Richard Carpenter, is a nice piece to go with the other song selections). Herb's expressiveness and distinctive style in playing are on display, and very much in line with some of his previous solo projects he has put out (such as the albums "Rise," "Fandango," etc., and even a little bit of his old TJB style, in spots).

However, is it me, or do I notice a bit less cleanness and accuracy in his attacks, possibly even a bit of thinness in his tone, compared to his previous recordings and perforformances? Yet, at the same time, he is clearly still in mastery over what he is playing, and his command of technique and experience playing the trumpet are evident, and the outcome is pleasing to the ears, and satisfying, even exciting musically to listen to, at least to me.

One other miscellaneous related thought/question. Does anyone know what brand/model of horn it is Herb is holding in the cd's album outer and inner liner pictures? To me, it looks a bit to me like a Sonare, or maybe even a Bach Strad, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for anybody's thoughts or comments.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you listen close enough perhaps his sound is thinner and a little less accurate but he is 86, a year older than me. He would have been 82 when he recorded that album and believe me, age does cause change.
I haven't heard the cd as yet but selections, like Merry Christmas Darling, are on you tube.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: