• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I need a job!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPWall1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: I need a job! Reply with quote

Trumpet gents, I need some help!

I am a career NJ public school music teacher who is looking to change careers. Due to health and family issues, I am looking for a work-from-home non-teaching job as long as it is full-time and with benefits. My strongest skills include researching, writing, editing, and presenting. I have solid computer skills and, as head teacher in my department, am used to managing budgets.

In my current job, the administration is a disaster and I need to get out ASAP. Although I don't earn too much, I am too expensive for other school districts to hire--in NJ, your level on a school district's pay scale is determined by years of service and education. I have 16 years teaching and a doctorate in education so most districts would have to pay me something real where a kid fresh out of college with no experience would be much cheaper.

If you know a good headhunter or even a work-from-home job prospect, please let me know. I'd be happy to send anyone my CV if interested.

All the best,
Michael
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more than one musician friend who used the pandemic to get certified as a computer coder. All are at least interviewing for good remote work or in person internships.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck.

I had a similar experience, although I was a Composer-in-Residence for a school system and not a teacher. Dealing with morons in the Administration's the same, though. I empathize.

Just before the beginning of my second year, I was given a choice of staying where I was but working for an additional twelve years and getting a PhD on my own time with my own money, or going into the Air Force with no extra conditions I just listed and making the same income. How old are you, LOL?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinkedIn is how I got my last 2 (engineering) jobs. And both were big jumps up. You're on the right track with networking, but be careful how much of your personal info and goals you put out there, unless you don't care if your present employer, etc. knows.

Being in the educational system in NJ is difficult, I'm sure- I'm a lifelong resident. If you want to stay in education, I would encourage looking into private schools.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a software developer. I have a degree in trumpet performance from a major private university, although I never worked in the music industry.

I do suggest learning how to code. It can be great fun and there are SO many jobs out there. I'm 100% self-taught and make a great living -- so great, that I see no reason to ever go back to school. Period. Nobody cares about my degree. In fact, it becomes a subject of fascination and most people say things like, "Oh, I bet that makes you a great programmer then!" So, at the very least it never hurt me!

Even an entry-level job as a programmer can pay $60-80k, depending on the area, the technology, etc. I hear that Google pays minimum $100k to every developer, although I personally would never work for that company. And, in today's "new normal," companies are realizing that the talent pool is now largely remote, so salaries in some of the "lower salary" areas are increasing. Great benefits are a norm, and perks like "unlimited PTO" are also becoming increasingly the norm.

Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: