• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite book?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wfrayer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Top Tones by Walter Smith Reply with quote

Not sure how I would label this. Favorite Book? Most Hated Book? Most Challenging Book? Definitely the book I learned the most from.
I just purchased a new copy, my old copy from 64 years ago was falling apart. It's been used and abused and then cherished!

Best

William Rayer
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite book? Reply with quote

Thanks Oliver for the mention! I hope you won't hate when you're through....

Eb

oliver king wrote:

The Saint-Jacome Manual by Eric Bolvin. A common sense guide to a Grand Method has become a favorite.

The Thibaud Series By Pierre Thibaud. It gets into everything. It's easy to measure progress.

The Rene Laurent Enseignement de la Trompette by Rene Laurent. A welcome surprised I enjoyed how well I was prepared to play music rather than run patterns.

There've been many books I wasn't prepared for. Back to practice.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dr A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from French horn (40+ years) to trumpet, I remembered all the trumpet players at school clutching their Arban's, so I got one to work from. I wondered at the time if it was totally out dated, but since it was available I thought someone must still use it. I was not disappointed. Although I did not reach even a semblance of dexterity, it was fun to try, and there was always something new. My end goal was Carnival of Venice, and, well at least I could play the first part!
picctpt33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arban!
Frank Bronte

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of those students who care about academic success and spend almost all my time studying. If they told me that I would ever have to seek help from writers who assist with writing academic assignments, then I would be surprised. But the circumstances were such that I was forced to seek help from professionals. Once I realized that it is too much homework and there is no time to complete it. Why did I decide to turn to online services for help? Because many students do this when they have difficulty with their homework. Several friends of mine have advised me companies to which they often turn. But I decided to look for the best assignment writing services on my own. The last time my friends ordered such services was several years ago, so I thought about looking for reliable companies from scratch. This was the right way as I was faced with the fact that some of the companies had negative reviews and low ratings. Since I'm used to doing all the assignments on my own and getting good grades, I decided to look for a company that will help me with assignments to get good grades exclusively.
Today it is quite possible to find such a company, but of course, a few nuances should be noted. Not all reviews on the Internet are reliable, many companies use specialized services that generate fake reviews. The second point to pay attention to is that quality writing service cannot be cheap. Most companies offer roughly the same prices. If you see a suspiciously low price, then most likely in practice it will be a suspicious service. If you are contacting the company for the first time, then it is worth starting with a cheaper service. For example, you can order an essay to check the quality of the service. And of course, it is worth conducting research, and monitoring reviews from real users. This will minimize risks and you will be able to find a company that offers high-quality services and affordable prices

Last edited by Frank Bronte on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref, text book and not music-a second vote for Berliner's Thinking in Jazz. Primarily for jazzers, he goes very deeply into jazz history, phrasing, aesthetics, you name it. IMO a must for any jazzer.

Also, a jazz life read but applicable to anybody is Straight Life. Raw, deep.
Art Pepper's autobiography.

Music polemics, Sound in Motion: A Performer's Guide to Greater Musical Expression by David McGill is a superb book on phrasing and expression. Applicable to all musicians.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Also, a jazz life read but applicable to anybody is Straight Life. Raw, deep.
Art Pepper's autobiography.

+1

Another good read in a similar vein is Charles Mingus' Beneath the Underdog.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mngus' book is a fun/serious read but the reader must not take the entire thing as factual. A good look into Mingus' mind.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Mngus' book is a fun/serious read but the reader must not take the entire thing as factual. A good look into Mingus' mind.

Very true!
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: What is your favorite book? Reply with quote

Charlier
Schilke
Getzen
picctpt33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getchell!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: