• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 22B

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarh331_Dad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 38B in all its otherworldly glory:

https://files.catbox.moe/f7wdlj.mp4

They don't make 'em like that anymoar.
Padre08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: 22B Leadpipe/Mouthpiece receiveer Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there is an issue with a modern mouthpiece fitting into the receiver of a 22B. I have an ACB MV3CS and finding some resistance. Granted, I'm a comeback player rebuilding, but something seems a little off. But, hey, what do I know. Thanks for the help!
Tarh331_Dad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 22B Leadpipe/Mouthpiece receiveer Reply with quote

Padre08 wrote:
I'm wondering if there is an issue with a modern mouthpiece fitting into the receiver of a 22B. I have an ACB MV3CS and finding some resistance. Granted, I'm a comeback player rebuilding, but something seems a little off. But, hey, what do I know. Thanks for the help!

Circa 1955, the industry switched to a more slender shank on the mouthpiece, and modern [post-1955] mouthpieces will slide deep into the mouthpiece receivers of classical [pre-1955] horns, and often get stuck [in which case you need specialized equipment to ease them back out].

Christine Derksen has an article about it here:

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArticle42.html

And Alan Rouse talks about it here [concerning the Olds Los Angeles horns]:

http://rouses.net/trumpet/cornetmpc/cornetmpc.htm

Christine recommends some scotch tape wrapped around the shank of a modern mouthpiece, or else contacting Warburton about getting a mouthpiece with a "B" backbore.
hazentlewis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 22B Leadpipe/Mouthpiece receiveer Reply with quote

Padre08 wrote:

I just purchased a Conn 22b NYS from 47’ and was wondering about mouthpieces. I have a MV3CS in a modern blank which I was hoping to pair with the horn. Does this horn respond better with a short shank B cup or a shallow bowl?
1947 Martin Committee #3
1990 Bach Stradivarius 25
1967 Old's Special Fullerton Calif
ACB MV3CS
HT3 “jazz”
Tarh331_Dad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 22B Leadpipe/Mouthpiece receiveer Reply with quote

hazentlewis wrote:
Padre08 wrote:

I just purchased a Conn 22b NYS from 47’ and was wondering about mouthpieces. I have a MV3CS in a modern blank which I was hoping to pair with the horn. Does this horn respond better with a short shank B cup or a shallow bowl?

Christine has a good article about it here:

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArticle42.html

Your options are to

1) Procure a vintage mouthpiece with the old fat "European" shank, or

2) Use a modern mouthpiece with a slender "American" shank and a thin sliver of Scotch tape about the tip of the shank, or

3) Get a Warburton "B-series" backbore,

https://warburton-usa.com/collections/trumpet-mouthpieces

4) Or send the horn to someone who knows what he's doing, like Mark Metzler or Robb Stewart or Chuck Ward, and have him place a modern mouthpiece receiver in the horn.

[Obviously the Scotch tape cheat is the quickest, easiest, and least expensive, although I don't know whether the adhesive goo might build up inside the horn over time.]

The change from the fat "European" shank to the slender "American" shank occurred circa 1954/55; instruments built before 1955 [almost always] shipped with the the fat "European" shank, whereas instruments built during or after 1955 [almost always] shipped with the slender "American" shank.

This is a pre-1955 CONN #4 fat-shank mouthpiece [note the vertical lettering]:

And this is a post-1955 CONN #4 slender-shank mouthpiece [note the horizontal lettering]:

Tarh331_Dad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, again, to emphasize: Do NOT shove a modern slender-shanked mouthpiece into a vintage fat mouthpiece receiver.

The slender-shanked mouthpiece will get hopelessly stuck in there, and you'll have to purchase some expensive [and/or very rare] tools to gently pull the slender shank out of the fat mouthpiece receiver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: