• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shires Q10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Shires Q10 Reply with quote

Hi. How would Shires Q10 Model compare to an older pro Yamaha horn? What does entry level Pro horn really mean? Something similar to my 6345HS.

I am curious to try Shires but not certain I am ready to dole out the cash on an A or B horn.

Thanks.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Q10 is comparable both in playing characteristics and in quality to a Yamaha 8335 Xeno. It is a fine horn.
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shires really whiffs on their Q Series marketing. It reads:

"The Q Series represents S.E. Shires Company's passion and dedication to producing the finest hand crafted musical instruments at every price point. Q Series instruments extend the reach of the S.E. Shires sound and quality to a broader audience at an outstanding value and provide musicians of all backgrounds an instrument to fit their need. [...]"

which makes it sound, at least to my ears, as a true-intermediate/semipro horn for the price conscious. But they're not priced drastically lower the horns marketed as full-on professional. (My first google result was US $2500 from a WWBW affiliate.)

For all I know they are lovely horns. I have not played one, but have played other Shires horns--very nice instruments. but marketing them as budget-conscious is a huge mis-step.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnino wrote:

"The Q Series represents S.E. Shires Company's passion and dedication to producing the finest hand crafted musical instruments at every price point. Q Series instruments extend the reach of the S.E. Shires sound and quality to a broader audience at an outstanding value and provide musicians of all backgrounds an instrument to fit their need. [...]"

which makes it sound, at least to my ears, as a true-intermediate/semipro horn for the price conscious. But they're not priced drastically lower the horns marketed as full-on professional. (My first google result was US $2500 from a WWBW affiliate.)

For all I know they are lovely horns. I have not played one, but have played other Shires horns--very nice instruments. but marketing them as budget-conscious is a huge mis-step.

I believe the Q series is made by Eastman overseas, who now owns Shires.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnino wrote:

"The Q Series represents S.E. Shires Company's passion and dedication to producing the finest hand crafted musical instruments at every price point. ...

-----------------------------
I agree their wording needs some improvement - especially if the Q Series is really 'finest hand crafted', and is at the level of recognized pro-level instruments from more well-known brands.

For me, the mention of 'at every price point' - dilutes the impression of 'finest', and conjures thoughts of being made to a 'price point' more than to a quality standard.
That might not be precise 'reading comprehension' of the words, but it is my 'reaction' to the choice of words. And in marketing, wording choice and style can be very important - to convey the desired info as well as image.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bente Illevold is a Somebody in the euphonium world, and she happens to choose a Shires Q. I expect she could do a deal to endorse whomever she chose.

The Q-Euphs are $6k at WWBW/Dillons etc.
The Adams ready-to-go (Sonic) is $4377 at ACB, and the Adams customise-everything start around $7500.
Top of the line other makes start around $7500 too.

Totally concur with Jay Kosta and his pinpointing of the language 'at every price point'.

Just to repeat myself, the 'other' Shires trumpets I've tried are really good and I think if OP can try a Q at no risk it's worth doing. Your signature's horns are quality, and I bet you'll know what you like when you play it.
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shawnino. I would need to purchase to try as nowhere close here carries but expect could easily sell if not to my liking.

Heather.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe the Q series is made by Eastman overseas, who now owns Shires.

The Q10 I owned was made of parts manufactured at the Shires facility in Massachusetts, assembled at the Eastman facility overseas, and then shipped back to Massachusetts for final finishing. The parts were interchangeable with my Shires AF.

Not sure if that is still how the Q-series horns are manufactured.
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton - how would you compare it - build, playability, etc, with your AF?
Thanks
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dayton - how would you compare it - build, playability, etc, with your AF?

High-quality build, fit and finish, as with all of the Shires horns I have owned/played. The sound of the Shires Q10 is comparable to a Bach 18037 or a Yamaha 8335. I prefer the sound of the Bach compared to the Shires Q, and slightly preferred the Shires Q to the Yamaha. So it is in good company.

Comparing the Shires Q to my AF: Same bell taper, but a different bead and I think it was a bottom seam vice side seam. Similar leadpipe and venturi but heavyweight on the Q and lightweight on the AF. Similar tuning slide. Sound-wise, it seemed closer to the Model A than the AF.
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dayton. What I struggle with is if it’s that close to an A or AF what differentiates it from a Custom? Is it simply the lack of options?

Heather.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you contact Shires I am sure they can explain what differentiates the Q10 from a Custom model better than I can (aside from the overseas assembly). From my perspective the Q10 is an excellent horn, but it lacks the "magic" of the AF (which costs an additional $1,300). I'd say the same thing about the Yamaha 8335 -- fine horn but definitely not a 9335 NY II model (which costs an additional $2,100).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: