• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is there a cure for brass instrument acquisition disease?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have BIAS, but I might be a bit MAD (mute acquisition disorder 😂😂)

I won't even try and list the mutes I have ... it's impossible.

I'll just say I've got 200 of em ...
Denis Wick Artist
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshRzepka wrote:
Well, I don't have BIAS, but I might be a bit MAD (mute acquisition disorder 😂😂)

These are all just variants of G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome). You have just found temporary relief with mute acquisition.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
You have just found temporary relief with mute acquisition.

Take two cup mutes and play reveille for me in the morning . . .

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
nelsonraymond

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's only a disorder if it causes clinically significant functional impairment - typically in multiple domains such as work, family, friends, self-care, lifestyle or school for young people.

In my case, any suggestion that I have a trumpet acquisition disorder (TAD) is unwarranted because I can stop any time I want.

Anyway I gotta go, the trumpet delivery person is here.

Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We shouldn't joke too much about brass instrument acquisition disease. It's a relatively cheap and harmless hobby. The vintage professional grade instruments are an amazing bargain in my eyes. Especially cornets. Take violins for example. A vintage pro-grade bow alone could cost thousands. And horses and trees had to die to make that bow.

I have several vintage cornets and trumpets I need to do something with. I switched to tuba a few months ago, and do far better with that. If I ever want to consider buying a second tuba, I need to lighten up on cornet/trumpet. I thought of selling them right here on the marketplace, but so far never listed them. Taking good pictures is a lot of work, and some could use some new water key cork.

I also thought about donating them to the local middle or high school. But there are a couple of problems with that. One is the fact that the schools around here are too rich, it seems. The middle school has so many tubas they gave one to my kid for home practice. I now play the one I bought for the kid. The other potential problem is the fact that vintage horns are soldered together with leaded solder. That doesn't bother me or most older people who understand a horn is really a specially shaped spittoon and should therefore never be sucked. But some younger parents might object if they knew. Those kids tear up instruments pretty quick, too. I would hate to see the school issue my kid a classic collectible vintage pro horn.

I could just give them back to Goodwill, where they came from. I am happy to consider the money spent as a charitable donation. But I wouldn't get the fun of seeing a fellow G.A.S victim enjoy a new toy.

A problem with selling vintage horns is describing condition. We can take good pictures and do pressure testing and play testing (I can hardly play a one octave scale after switching to tuba though). But what about red rot? I never thought much about red rot until I found the mouthpipe on my goodwill Yamaha student tuba was paper-thin due to red rot. It's not at all obvious. My remaining cornets and trumpets are the best of the best among what I have bought, but lurking red rot could exist in some of them.

All are are unrestored, except for the Olds Recording trumpet. This horn is raw brass. The other horns are all original.

Even describing valve condition for vintage horns is difficult. I pressure tested all of them, and sold half based on these results. So the remaining horns all have valves better or much better than average leakage for their vintage (except for the Gladiator. My father must have dipped his valves in muddy puddles for lube). Many of those pressure test results are in an old post of mine. But what about the other vintage valve problem that is discussed here periodically? That is, valves that occasionally return slowly when released? It seems all vintage horns do this occasionally.

For these reasons, I am thinking I should give away some of these horns right here. This would be for existing trumpetherald members, and ones who can honestly say their financial situation is less than ideal. By giving a horn away for no cost, I wouldn't have to worry about water key cork failure, lurking red rot, postal insurance, fast shipping and perfect packaging.

Here is what I have:
    1983 Blessing ML-1 Lightweight 370426
    1966 Olds Ambassador cornet 579260
    1965 Olds Recording trumpet 519575
    1961 Reynolds Argenta cornet 57300
    1967 Olds Studio trumpet 637255
    1961 Olds Super cornet 381053
    1949 Olds Special cornet 52164
    1961 Olds Super Trumpet 379783
    1956 Selmer Paris model 25 17111
    1974 King 1055T silver flair trumpet 505146
    1962 Olds Special trumpet 413936
    1966 King SilverSonic cornet 419079
    1956 Olds Special cornet 199225
    1954 Olds Special cornet 119768
    1964 Selmer 24-B K-Modified Lightweight 30385
    1951 King SilverSonic cornet 316880
    1949 H N White Gladiator cornet none
    1940 King Silvertone cornet 241324

Anyone who has an interest in one of these, and doesn't live in a MacMansion with a Mercedes parked in front, let me know. Send me a private message. If I don't respond, it means I am waiting for a trumpetherald member who seems a better match. For example, the Selmer Paris model 25 is in unusually good condition, and I greatly over paid for it. I might give it to GeorgeB, based on his interest in Selmer Paris horns. I do want to keep one or two for myself, too.

One big disclaimer though: I really want easy shipping. That pretty much excludes members outside North America I believe. Aren't there customs forms and VAT taxes for EU shipping? I am in the US and can ship to US locations easily.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond16 wrote:
Anyone who has an interest in one of these, and doesn't live in a MacMansion with a Mercedes parked in front, let me know.

What do you have against MacMansions and Mercedes-Benz cars? They’re easily as exquisite as a vintage Selmer or Olds Recording.

By the way, horses don’t die in the making of horsehair bows. Unless you’re talking about the glue.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Lips wrote:
Beyond16 wrote:
Anyone who has an interest in one of these, and doesn't live in a MacMansion with a Mercedes parked in front, let me know.

What do you have against MacMansions and Mercedes-Benz cars? They’re easily as exquisite as a vintage Selmer or Olds Recording.

Nothing against MacMansions. I was considering one, before prices doubled/tripled in my area. I do find it annoying that so many of my neighbors drive German made cars. Are local brands such as Ford and GM really that unacceptable?

The real point is that a person with a lot of money could be watching shopgoodwill.com daily like me, and support charity by buying from there rather that accepting a free horn.

Liberty Lips wrote:
By the way, horses don’t die in the making of horsehair bows. Unless you’re talking about the glue.

That's what I told my preteen daughter who is into the cruelty free thing. She quit violin. Even if no horse dies, she still objects to 'stealing' their hair.
TriumphantTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have long had 'Gear aquisition syndrome' and since I decided I needed to learn trumpet a few months ago I have acquired seven Bflat trumpets so far. That is in addition to the two dozen electric guitars, four 5-string banjos, two violins, seven sets of Great Highland Backpipes and assorted other instruments I own. Oh and I also hive four Triumph motorcycles.

Trumpets, second hand old ones, are pretty darn cheap here in the UK and so they are pretty easy on the pocket compared to a lot of collectibles (I have plastic WWI plastic scale aircraft model kits that cost a lot more than some of my trumpets!) and I like to think that I am also doing my bit by stopping these fine old musical instruments being turned into table lamps as seems to be a fashion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: