• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practise Esentials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthurio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Practise Esentials Reply with quote

Hello,
what you would recommend to someone who plays the trumpet regurlarly and also like to improve (regarding high range, flexibility, articulation, endurance, musicality and improvisation), but dont have a lot of time to practise. Max. 1-2 hours daily.
I know there a lots of exercises like Stamp, Collins, Arban, Stockhausen, Concone,... but what is your experience to focus on for great progress and consistency overall. I am a bit lost and I am jumping from one to another, feeling unsure. Do you have an exercise which covers multiple sections mentioned above? Or do you have also helpful dry excerises? I am interested to hear from you.

Last edited by Arthurio on Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guidance from a solid teacher.

It's not what you play, but how you play it.

All the texts you mention can be used in a manner to help you improve, but if you're mindlessly playing them, much of the benefits can be lost. Playing them well, repeatedly, making those good aspects habitual. This is where guidance from an outside source helps - self analysis is challenging and often inaccurate.

You can accomplish a lot in 1-2 hours daily: 30-45 minute routine that reinforce fundamental elements leaves you a solid hour or more to work on a variety of things.. get a teacher and have a plan.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Arthurio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Thank you. Yeah you´re right, I should get a teacher again.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Guidance from a solid teacher.

It's not what you play, but how you play it. ...

---------------------
For me, a big part of 'how you play it' is the physical process - learning and refining the mechanics of playing that ALLOW the necessary actions to happen, and is effective and efficient in achieving those actions.

A problem for me was poor understanding and learning about embouchure - specifically related to rim pressure, and lip adjustments. With faulty embouchure function, making progress is difficult.

There seems to be many teaching (and learning) methods and styles for achieving good physical actions, and it is important to find a way to learn it.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guidance from a solid teacher. It's not what you play, but how you play it.

Zaferis is spot on. The surest path to progress is via a good teacher.
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell my experience. I haven't had any luck with the teachers. I reached a plateau and no one could get me out of there. I practiced a lot, but not in the right way and I didn't improve.

The Balanced Embouchure book has improved my basic technique, I still have limitations, but now I am making progress. Its price is ridiculous if you compare it with the cost of a private teacher.

To improvise, I think you have to spend time playing the notes of the scales, discovering their sound. you start with two notes, add a third, etc, you play with them, with the rhythm, the rests, like a modal meditation, so to speak.

You also have to develop your ear, get melodies by ear: children's songs, songs from the radio, folk, soul, whatever you want, bass lines, chord progression. Just a little each day and without getting frustrated. Theory is not too important.

I haven't gotten anywhere, I'm just talking from the road, so that's my 2 cents.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
Arthurio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your answers. I also had bad luck with teachers and needed to change my embochure. Now I am experimenting with the spit buzz embochure. Works for me very well this way.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
It's not what you play, but how you play it.

Zaferis is right, but that doesn't apply just to excercises or practice routines: getting any teacher just because you should have one isn't productive. Take care that you find a good teacher who is able to help you progress. And regardless of whether you have a teacher or not, be critical of your own playing. Be mindful of the 'how you play' yourself too; do not slack off by off-loading that responsibility to a teacher.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound to me like you need an organized and balanced routine. You might consider getting Mitchell on Trumpet by Harold Mitchell. There are four books to be played in sequence. Read the atch. text.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mitchell+on+trumpet&crid=2RWMT925EEAPE&sprefix=mitchell+on+trumpet%2Caps%2C92&ref=nb_sb_noss

BTW, "It's not what you play, but how you play it." needs to be taken in context. The point is to concentrate on what you are playing but, I think, doesn't imply that what exercises you pick don't really make a difference. If you have problems with double tonguing, you obviously wouldn't practice Cichowicz' Long Tones. Just want to clarify that in case of a misunderstanding.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthurio wrote:
Thank you for all your answers. I also had bad luck with teachers and needed to change my embochure.

I'd go one step further and recommend seeking out a pro-level teacher. Don't settle for whoever is convenient.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an adult I want a mentor rather than a teacher. I prefer someone who will teach me how to fish (explain the whys) rather than just catch fish for me (just feed me exercises to practice).

As for your question, figure out what type of exercises satisfy the basic fundamentals. Put a simple routine together by picking a few exercises from each method. I find it easiest to have most if not all the exercises in one place like a PDF so that I don't get distracted by shiny things. The other thing you can do is write your routine down and place it on your stand or post it on a wall. Keep track of practice in a journal so you know how long you have been working on each thing. The most important thing is to stick with it.

There are basic routines on the interweb that can help. Examples include the Ray Mase 20 minute routine, Bill Adam Routine, Greg Wing 20 minute routine, etc. You can also go the method book route as has already been mentioned.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the best results from multiple short sessions every day. I try to mix fundamentals with tunes. Lately I’m hearing good things when I solo on playalongs, focusing on trying to create countermelodies while keeping the form, long a problem for me.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: