• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Let the fun resume!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Let the fun resume! Reply with quote

It's only been 36 years! I played in HS and College.

I saw my old horn (Benge CG) on eBay and had to have it!

I also bought a few mouthpieces (mostly Schilke) to see which one feels right. I can't even remember what I used to play (maybe a 15).

Anyway, thanks for this forum! I wish I had it years ago!

Ken (NY)
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing! Take lessons if you can. Have fun.
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Welcome back to trumpet playing! Take lessons if you can. Have fun.

Thanks! Will do.
Actually, I live close to NYC.
I was thinking of trying to get lessons from Bryan Davis.
I heard he's pretty good!
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth move! If your experience is anything like mine, your life will be/has been changed in a very big way!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
Smooth move! If your experience is anything like mine, your life will be/has been changed in a very big way!

Mike

Thanks, Mike!

I'm getting excited...my Schilke mouthpiece just arrived!

Ken
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. Lessons are a great idea.

Enjoy.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Welcome back. Lessons are a great idea.

Enjoy.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. Actually, I already contacted an instructor and he suggested re-familiarizing myself with the horn a little bit before starting lessons. Makes sense...I feel like I'm back in grade school just trying to make a buizz sound!lol
JensenW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to playing the trumpet. I suspect you will still be able to make a buzz, but your range and endurance will be severly restricted. There are many endurance and range building exercises, which the folks on this forum are happy to suggest. I still had my old method books, so started again on those. Good luck!

The goal is to be a better trumpeter today than I was yesterday.
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JensenW wrote:
Welcome back to playing the trumpet. I suspect you will still be able to make a buzz, but your range and endurance will be severly restricted. There are many endurance and range building exercises, which the folks on this forum are happy to suggest. I still had my old method books, so started again on those. Good luck!

I tried buzzing today, but it was really shaky. Wow...like ZERO endurance...and very little range! I was warned to go slow, so I'm just going to do a few minutes a day. Hopefully, when my horn arrives by next week, there will be some improvement.
I don't have my books anymore, so I just bought more (Arban, Clarke, and Gordon...new to me).
Thanks for the well-wishes!
P.S. I like your motto. For sure, no matter how bad I sound, I'm a better trumpeter today than I was yesterday...or for the last 36 years!
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennyg2019 wrote:

I tried buzzing today, but it was really shaky. Wow...like ZERO endurance...and very little range! I was warned to go slow, so I'm just going to do a few minutes a day. Hopefully, when my horn arrives by next week, there will be some improvement.

There are all kinds of opinions about buzzing. Some really great trumpet players and teachers advocate it. Some really great trumpet players and teachers say it is an absolutely bad idea. (I am old enough that I was first taught to buzz the mouthpiece in grade school. Depending on how it is done, it can lead to bad or good habits.) I am not going to weigh in on the question of to buzz or not to buzz, but I will say that it takes more energy and force to buzz on the mouthpiece alone than it does to play the horn at the same pitch. Excess energy and strain are your enemies.
If you have a piece of pipe roughly the diameter and length (or longer) of a leadpipe, try putting your mouthpiece in that and practicing making sound that way. Even starting from just allowing air to go through and gradually increasing air speed to a buzz, will give you a much closer feel to what happens with the horn on the mouthpiece.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning. I had success with buzzing in the past. And my lips feel dead when I don’t buzz my lips. I will take another look at some videos to make sure I’m doing it right. I think it’s just a matter of time. I will go slow 🐌
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Kennyg2019, after your 36 year hiatus. I came back in 2016 after a 50 year hiatus at 79. And, oh, yes it is pretty shocking when you blow those first few notes again. But take it slow and easy and you will likely surprise yourself. I got my range back after 3 months but endurance was a different story. That changed after another 5 months when I started playing with the local Horizons Band. There is nothing like playing with others and the challenging material of playing first chair really helped me in getting my endurance back. At age 85 I am playing first, but not lead trumpet in one of the areas finest community bands. Covid has us shut down right now but I play about 45 minutes of technical stuff every morning and 60 minutes of ballads and what not every afternoon. This keeps me in playing condition for that day when the band starts up again.
Good luck on your journey back. Like Mike, my life has changed in a good way. I hope yours does , too.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, thank you for your amazing come back story! That gives me some hope. One good thing about being older is that I’m a lot more patient nowadays and more disciplined so far as learning. Also, thanks to the internet, there’s a lot more educational materials (like videos…and this forum!) at my fingertips. I’m confident that I will be a smarter player than before. I read that it will take 6-12 months to get back to where I was. Your story seems to confirm that. Thanks again for sharing!
Ken
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ken. At 79 I certainly looked at the trumpet in a different way than I did when I was in my teens and twenties ( 1953 to 1965 ).

During most of that 12 years I formed and played with a small 5 or sometimes 6 piece combo. My little band had a good run at playing a teen dance every Saturday night between 1954 and 1957, along with a lot of weddings and private function parties. Trouble with that though, I was too busy just playing well enough to play for money. I just never took the time to develop or expand my playing ability beyond that, and looking back I considered myself a hack player. The second time around, though, I made it a point to get to know the horn better and to play more than just dance music. I am a much happier cat the second time around.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Thanks, Ken. At 79 I certainly looked at the trumpet in a different way than I did when I was in my teens and twenties ( 1953 to 1965 ).

During most of that 12 years I formed and played with a small 5 or sometimes 6 piece combo. My little band had a good run at playing a teen dance every Saturday night between 1954 and 1957, along with a lot of weddings and private function parties. Trouble with that though, I was too busy just playing well enough to play for money. I just never took the time to develop or expand my playing ability beyond that, and looking back I considered myself a hack player. The second time around, though, I made it a point to get to know the horn better and to play more than just dance music. I am a much happier cat the second time around.
George

Good lesson for all of us George!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: