• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Callet mouthpiece - SC1ss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lex.

Yesterday I got a used TCE 3 Custom mouthpiece (Bhab Civiletti). I was looking for a rim id around .600 which will correspond with my latest cornet mouthpiece Bach MT Vernon 12B which is around .600 too.

These rims seem to fit very well in id and inner rim contour.

In comparison to my Callet X5 the TCE 3 has a more pronounced inner rim edge and a flatter and wider rim but near identical id. The bore/throat seem to be most identical small around #29.

TCE 3 Custom is a great mouthpiece and definitely not a copy of the X5. I will give it a couple of days to say more about....
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...OK I will do some extra post about my experiences regarding comparison of Callet X5 (vintage) vs TCE 3 Custom (Civiletti) because this thread goes for 1SS.....

...anyway the specs of 1SS seem to fit my setup as well. But the flatness and wideness of the rim I see in the pics may be not comfortable to me: they look close to the TCE 3 configuration I have experienced...

Double cup is a great feature as well as I experienced on other pieces but not sure to strive for.

If you like see my post about Callet X5 vs Civiletti TCE 3...
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: 1ss Reply with quote

Digging this now historical thread .... the 1ss is now my “deep” pc for when I want a darker tone, or am getting tired. Otherwise - the 1sb. Just got my 1st 1sc today from Yumiko - looking fwd to see how it feels/plays ....
Conn 1929 2B / 1924 22B / 1934 8B / 1956 10B / 1967 20A / 1958 38B / 1952 48B
1965 Olds Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1993QIK7E
darksmoke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1ss Reply with quote

deejaymushone wrote:
Digging this now historical thread .... the 1ss is now my “deep” pc for when I want a darker tone, or am getting tired. Otherwise - the 1sb. Just got my 1st 1sc today from Yumiko - looking fwd to see how it feels/plays ....

Any significant conclusions a bit later? I've been using the SC6 now for a little without too much difficulty adjusting. I'm assuming the 1sc is now the shallowest piece in the line and have been wondering how that compares with being the next step when I 'graduate'.
-Callet SC6
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1ss Reply with quote

darksmoke wrote:
Any significant conclusions a bit later? I've been using the SC6 now for a little without too much difficulty adjusting. I'm assuming the 1sc is now the shallowest piece in the line and have been wondering how that compares with being the next step when I 'graduate'.

Wow - if you are using the SC6 as your regular MP, all the power to you! At the time it was made (Jerome's 2nd to last "series", before the 1ss, 1sc, & 1sb), that was his shallowest MP. I purchased one from him, but was not able to do much on it - I would start bottoming out after ~20 min !

I did play the 1ss for ~2-3 (?) years though. The 1ss is the deepest; the 1sb the shallowest, and the 1sc in between. I had purchased a 1sb, but again, would start bottoming out after about 20 min or so. You basically cannot use anything but the tiniest amount of air with the 1sb. For me, that ended up meaning I could never get enough power. I think Jerome would say that I was not compressing the air enough ??

The 1sc was comfortable and worked fine for me, but I did not gig with it much, while everything I did for a few years was on the 1ss.

I now don't play any of them, and am playing a wide rim vintage Parduba 5 threaded cup, and a vintage Muck 17C threaded cup. They have almost the same diameter and rim. The vintage Parduba 5 has a VERY similar design to the 1ss, but the 1st, shallow cup is a bit deeper, and the undercut is also a bit larger. I use a threaded 1ss backbore/shank for some of my horns; for others, threaded vintage Parduba backbores (but not the one from my cup). I got used to, and really like, Jerome's very tight, straight backbore design.

This is all completely subjective and really no right or wrong answer. Jerome's singular goal was to play as high, powerful, and long as possible, and he designed MP's to aid in this. However, IMO, these ultra-shallow mouthpieces, while DEFINITELY aiding in the upper register (& if played with his teaching method), are sacrificing tone quality, and have a thin tone, even when played with the slowest, warmest possible air.

Again - this is only my opinion. If you want to play like Cat Anderson, Al Killian, Leo Sheppard, etc., these are great tools ! For me, though, I am not a screech/lead trumpeter, and prefer the sound of all the cats on Blue Note, Prestige, etc., which is def. not the sound of an ultra-shallow mouthpiece.

That all being said - there are photos of both Charlie Shavers and Lee Morgan playing a Jet Tone, and I really cannot tell. There are no recordings by either of them where I think "wow, their tone sounds really thin here compared to what I am used to" (!)....

I think that we, as players, can really tell the difference b/t these for ourselves, while alone in the shed. I think other trained musicians can maybe tell the difference, if we are playing alone to them in a quiet room. I think audience members, during a gig with a loud band, really cannot tell the difference at all. Maybe between a Bach 1C and a Callet 1sb they can, but anything even remotely similar - highly doubtful !

So...............???? I guess this is why we have drawers of these things !
1965 Olds Recording

darksmoke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great information. I have a Parduba 6 1/2 I do not use often as it's very sharp (with both its curves) and I seem to always press a tad too much after a little, unlike with the SC6; it takes air easily and consequently has a very stable sound however.

I have found myself to get a great bold tone with the SC6 without having to feel myself stressing and being distracted by the body. It allows me to play second chair with all of its caveats as well as perform more solo work with classical pieces. I wish I had found this TCE technique(s) and SC methodology sooner so I could be a bit further along by now, but alas, better late than never. That said, I can really tell a difference in endurance and what I am capable of doing within that time without having to take a rest day after.

I plan to also get a model from the final line, possibly the 1sc, some time from now to see how that fits into it all. I also agree about there being a (personal) limit to it and could not imagine myself being a screech player at all. It's amazing how these mouthpieces can balance so much depth with precision and range performance when utilized correctly.
-Callet SC6
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: re: SC6 Reply with quote

https://www.callettrumpets.com/mouthpieces_sizes.htm

Wow - if you are getting great results w/ the SC6, and playing 2nd chair, that is awesome - using that MP to play 2nd IMO is sort of like bringing a bazooka to a rifle range lol !

That was Jerome's MP of choice at the time I purchased his NY Soloist trumpet from him when it was released. I don't think it was even part of the original MP line from that series - he wanted something even shallower than the ones originally released and hence designed and produced that one. He played in the dog whistle registered all day on it (!).

And yeah - if you are enjoying, and getting good results from, the SC6, I would def. check out the 1sb and/or 1sc- I think you would really dig them.

All the best,

Jeremy Mush1
1965 Olds Recording

abonney

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these recent posts. This has been a really interesting thread (along with a lot on the Callet forum here) for me as I've been studying TCE for a few years. I was playing the 1sb on my Sima trumpet for quite some time, and it was the mouthpiece that allowed my to let go of my old habits and that really solidified the transition to playing TCE. I couldn't play it at all with my old technique! Ultimately I too found the sound a little too thin, and I'm happily now playing the SC3 which sounds that bit fatter/wider and I find more fun to play on. I have a 4 and 6 too but they feel a bit too wide, the 3 is the Goldilocks one (for now!)
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abonney wrote:
Thanks for these recent posts. This has been a really interesting thread (along with a lot on the Callet forum here) for me as I've been studying TCE for a few years. I was playing the 1sb on my Sima trumpet for quite some time, and it was the mouthpiece that allowed my to let go of my old habits and that really solidified the transition to playing TCE. I couldn't play it at all with my old technique! Ultimately I too found the sound a little too thin, and I'm happily now playing the SC3 which sounds that bit fatter/wider and I find more fun to play on. I have a 4 and 6 too but they feel a bit too wide, the 3 is the Goldilocks one (for now!)

Thats great - the Sima + the 1sb is quite a set-up - you should be playing very high w/ that combo !

Its my understanding that Ralph Salmone requires all of his students to use the 1ss, 1sb, or 1sc. It makes sense - they are indeed great teaching tools. If you are not doing everything correctly (as per TCE), they just won't work, and the sound will cut off. They don't allow the player to over-blow, nor do they allow for any lip to collapse into the cup.

However, once you have gotten used to TCE, the entire world of mouthpieces, and gear in general, is open to you, and you can play anything you want, depending the tone you seek, aesthetic, and musical requirements. That all being said, once you are playing w/ TCE, smaller gear will def. make your job easier - but you don't have to play the smallest mouthpiece available in order to train your chops anymore.

All the best,

Jeremy Mush1
1965 Olds Recording

abonney

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy

Yes, I've certainly been playing higher than ever before on the Sima with the 1sb, but actually I don't find much difference in ease with the SC3 now.

Given that I'm mostly playing more on the experimental/freer side of the jazz scene here in London, the different ways I can play in the low register is usually more important than the high notes, although it's been fun as they are now starting to creep into my lines!

The Sima is similar in some ways to these small mouthpieces in that it absolutely won't let you overblow. Unfortunately, for several months after I got mine I hadn't really figured out what I was doing with TCE and I did exactly that, overblow and I was still playing with some lip tension from my old setup. The Sima would back up on me and my endurance and sound suffered.

Fast forward a while (the pandemic was useful for something!) and after a few Eureka moments discovering the forward tongue, the 'rubbing' feeling of the top lip against the tongue vibrating etc that have been discussed many times on this forum, the Sima suddenly made sense when I learned to relax (that's a very hard thing after 20 years or so of playing tight!). Now it feels really fun and easy to play. I'm spit buzzing into the horn above high C almost straight away after picking it up each day, gone are the days of epic warmups!

A few times on the way I retreated to bigger gear that allowed me to overblow. I even went back to my Monette bathtub mouthpiece for a bit. The spread sound is initially appealing but I found my old habits creeping back.

I've now done a fair bit of recording on the Sima and I've learned that it has the best focus and core of any setup I've tried, particularly with the SC3.

I've learned so much about trumpet playing in these last few years, thanks to Jerry Callet for all of the words I've read and a helpful phone lesson shortly before he passed (where we shared our enthusiasm for Charlie Shavers' sound!). Also thanks to Rich Colquhoun here in the UK for his invaluable direction in the early days for me switching, as well as many of the posts I've read on this forum.

Best, Alex

PS sorry for cross topic posting, but if anyone hears of a Callet New York Soloist for sale, I'd be interested. I think the vibe of the Sima with a more open blow would suit me very well! I asked Kyle shortly after Jerry passed but they were already sold out by then. Also curious to try the SC3s piece, but have never seen any on eBay....
wayne whitmore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Flugal Mouthpiece Reply with quote

What TCE mouthpieces are available to suit My Flugal Horn which is a Yamaha YFH 631. I currently use the Mouthpiece supplied by Yamaha 12F3D.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 12F3d is a very old mouthpiece from the days that Yamaha was highly influenced/led by Schilke.
The 12 is the diameter of the rim (currently the 12 size is not available with any Yamaha mouthpiece) the F is the flügelcup (deep), 3 is the rim contour (standard rim) and 4 is the backbore (5 is the biggest).
The 12 is not a big mouthpiece and it is said to be a good one.
Maybe you know but if not: if you go shopping for a new flügelmouthpiece you'll need one with the Yamaha tapered shank (large morse taper). There are different shanks for different flügelhorns.

https://mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=197_200&osCsid=u0o0mfa290bl6llt36c0vf14p2
wayne whitmore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks delano, no I did not know what size taper I would need so thank you for the information. Yes the mouthpiece is very old same age as the flugal bought it in the early eighties. I also have a 11F2 . The horn has been spelled for about 20 years but maintained all the time so no issues apart from the sluggish valve syndrome it has always had. Shouted it some new valve springs recently but still the same.

It has only been with my reawakening that I have come to learn about TCE so it is a real road of discovery for me now.
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abonney wrote:
PS sorry for cross topic posting, but if anyone hears of a Callet New York Soloist for sale, I'd be interested. I think the vibe of the Sima with a more open blow would suit me very well! I asked Kyle shortly after Jerry passed but they were already sold out by then. Also curious to try the SC3s piece, but have never seen any on eBay....

Ralph Salamone still sells the full line of Superchops mouthpieces, as described on the Callet mouthpieces legacy website, and can be reached via his website, True Power Trumpet. If for some reason he is out of any of them, and does not plan on re-stocking, they should also still be available directly through Jim New (contact email on his website), who was Jerome's mouthpiece manufacturer. Jim also told me that he previously ran the production floor at Kanstul, and was directly involved in the production of some of the Kanstul-built Callet trumpets, as well as the Colin MAX trumpet, which I used to play.

All the best,

Jeremy Mush1
1965 Olds Recording

Vega-Lux

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abonney wrote:
...I've been studying TCE for a few years. I was playing the 1sb on my Sima trumpet for quite some time, and it was the mouthpiece that allowed my to let go of my old habits and that really solidified the transition to playing TCE.

I am ready to commit to learning TCE and have begun watching the MSC dvd.

I have been attempting a comeback for 7 years now and am still struggling to play above the staff. I definitely need some lessons to figure out how to properly implement the TCE and learn how to spit buzz correctly, but I was not sure whether I would do better in learning TCE on the SC1SS mouthpiece or if the Superchops 4 mouthpiece, which I already own, is close enough ?

Thanks for any advice !
abonney

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeremy, I've ordered a 3s

deejaymushone wrote:
abonney wrote:

Ralph Salamone still sells the full line of Superchops mouthpieces, as described on the Callet mouthpieces legacy website, and can be reached via his website, True Power Trumpet. If for some reason he is out of any of them, and does not plan on re-stocking, they should also still be available directly through Jim New (contact email on his website), who was Jerome's mouthpiece manufacturer. Jim also told me that he previously ran the production floor at Kanstul, and was directly involved in the production of some of the Kanstul-built Callet trumpets, as well as the Colin MAX trumpet, which I used to play.

All the best,

Jeremy Mush1

Last edited by abonney on Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
abonney

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your SC4 is a great mouthpiece. I personally found the SC1sb very useful for 'training' the approach as it's so shallow you can't play it if your lips creep forward into the cup. For me the cost was worth the investment from what I learned from it even though I've upsized now to the bigger SC mouthpieces. Good luck with your TCE journey!

Vega-Lux wrote:
abonney wrote:
...I've been studying TCE for a few years. I was playing the 1sb on my Sima trumpet for quite some time, and it was the mouthpiece that allowed my to let go of my old habits and that really solidified the transition to playing TCE.

I am ready to commit to learning TCE and have begun watching the MSC dvd.

I have been attempting a comeback for 7 years now and am still struggling to play above the staff. I definitely need some lessons to figure out how to properly implement the TCE and learn how to spit buzz correctly, but I was not sure whether I would do better in learning TCE on the SC1SS mouthpiece or if the Superchops 4 mouthpiece, which I already own, is close enough ?

Thanks for any advice !
Vega-Lux

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abonney wrote:
Your SC4 is a great mouthpiece. I personally found the SC1sb very useful for 'training' the approach as it's so shallow you can't play it if your lips creep forward into the cup. For me the cost was worth the investment from what I learned from it even though I've upsized now to the bigger SC mouthpieces. Good luck with your TCE journey!

Thank you abonney -- I ordered a SC1sb mouthpiece from Ralph Salamone a few days ago and will begin working with it once it arrives this week !
abonney

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it! If your experience is like mine you may find you get worse before you get better! I was stubborn and stuck to it solely for several months. I got to a stage eventually where I found it really easy to play and my stamina was great on it. I did some session recording with it a few times and was surprised at how well it recorded.

I’ve been moving around with the other SC models since without too much trouble. I’m currently playing the SC6, the one I’ve always found something of a wild horse to tame. Now I’m playing it much more relaxed (thanks to my training on the 1sb). I find it the most chameleon like of all the models as it’s wide enough to get dark, Milesy, airy but really lights up and projects when you spit into it! The SC4 sounds great too but I like the extra gears and efficiency of the 6 now, and I’m making a much bigger sound than I managed on the 1sb.

Interested to hear your feedback on your experience with the 1sb further down the line.

Best,

Alex

Vega-Lux wrote:
abonney wrote:

Thank you abonney -- I ordered a SC1sb mouthpiece from Ralph Salamone a few days ago and will begin working with it once it arrives this week !
Vega-Lux

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abonney wrote:
...I got to a stage eventually where I found it really easy to play and my stamina was great on it. I did some session recording with it a few times and was surprised at how well it recorded.

I’ve been moving around with the other SC models since without too much trouble. I’m currently playing the SC6, the one I’ve always found something of a wild horse to tame. Now I’m playing it much more relaxed (thanks to my training on the 1sb). I find it the most chameleon like of all the models as it’s wide enough to get dark, Milesy, airy but really lights up and projects when you spit into it! The SC4 sounds great too but I like the extra gears and efficiency of the 6 now, and I’m making a much bigger sound than I managed on the 1sb.

Interested to hear your feedback on your experience with the 1sb further down the line.

Thanks so much for sharing your musical experiences on the Superchops mouthpieces, Alex !

I played the SC1sb with my 1932 Conn 2B a couple of times over the weekend, and can see that I have a lot of practice ahead of me LOL !

But I do appreciate how the mouthpiece gives that instant response to tell me when my upper lip was getting inside the cup. It is a great training tool for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: