• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul Besson vs. 70's Courtois Flugelhorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westerner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Kanstul Besson vs. 70's Courtois Flugelhorn Reply with quote

I'm looking for an excellent flugelhorn. I don't want to spend a premium for a new horn or for an exotic custom, but otherwise, I'd like to get something good.

I'm going for a traditional small-bore horn. Two horns that I see multiple examples of available are the Kanstul Besson Brevete or Kanstul 925 (only the water keys and leadpipe vary), and the Courtois - particularly the Courtois made between the late 50's and early 80's.

Price seems to depend on the particular horn's condition. With a good finish and only a few small dings, asking prices are around $1300. Some horns with blemishes, finish wear or dents might go for as little as half that, but I would be trying to get one in the best condition available.

I guess you could say my budget is around $1300, but only because I believe I can get a good-enough horn for that much. I could spend twice as much, but I'm not sure it would better meet any of my needs

So I understand the Kanstul-made horns, whether Besson brand for Boosey-Hawkes or the Kanstul-branded horns have straight-through valve clusters like the current-model Courtois (AC-15x).

The older Courtois I'm looking at have the traditional valve clusters where the lead pipe staggers through the valves.

I don't know a lot about Flugelhorns, but I understand the supposed origin to be related to the bugles of 18th century German ducal hunt leaders. On the other hand, the three-valved flugelhorn might have been made most popular for music, jazz in particular, in France during the middle of the 20th century. The horns made by Couesnon were popular because they were available and affordable but often poorly made and now often patched and resoldered if not pretty banged up. I believe the Courtois to be a better-made alternative for a traditional French flugelhorn, and the Kanstuls to be a little more recent with a slightly updated design along the same theme. I don't care about authentic French origin. I play in California anyway.

I don't play jazz in particular, and I don't need any particular sound. I play solo so I'm just looking for good-sounding alternative to my trumpet.

Is there a reason I should prefer the older Courtois to the Kanstul horns or vice versa?
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider also Yamaha 631 / 631G (similar to Courtois) and Yamaha Bobby Shew 6310Z (similar to Couesnon owned by Bobby Shew). Both of these flugels are bottom-sprung.

The 6310Z sounds a little lighter and perhaps more elegant, but needs meticulous valve maintenance. Maintained well, the 6310Z valves will be fast and silky smooth; without maintenance, they will be slow and scratchy, and may even seize.

Unfortunately, the 6310Z bottom casings are shallowly cut and prone to cross-threading. As a result, on 6310Z it is tricky to attach the bottom caps, particularly if one is in a rush.

In comparison, the valves of 631 feel a little heavier and slower, but need much less maintenance. The 631 casings and bottom caps are very nicely threaded with no issues when putting the caps back on.

I think the going price for 631G is around $1000 used.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never played Courtois but I always found I didn’t like the Kanstul valves. I can’t really put why this is, they always seemed „rougher“ than comparable Bach or other valves. Maybe a little noisier, not slower. There is just something about them that makes me not want a Kanstul horn.

The Yamaha is certainly an option, as are B&S horns. I know the latter are not liked by some on here but they produce good quality horns with good playability and sound (at reasonable prices, too).

Also Carol Brass may be worthwile, I have always found their sound to be on the lighter side, and great valves. Plus CB is one of the few companies that places the trigger at the right place (for me, that is - I dislike those mega-short trigger levers that are mounted way up and prefer triggers with long levers that are mounted as low as possible).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I like Yamaha 6310Z and 631G, you are right about their 3rd slide trigger - it is awfully unergonomic. Once upon a time, I tried to get the 8310Z / 8310G trigger which is shaped much longer and nicer. Alas, it was only sold at a price of a complete set with the 3rd slide and arm (except, it was sold without either the slide or the arm).
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Kanstul Besson vs. 70's Courtois Flugelhorn Reply with quote

westerner wrote:
So I understand the Kanstul-made horns, whether Besson brand for Boosey-Hawkes or the Kanstul-branded horns have straight-through valve clusters like the current-model Courtois (AC-15x).

Only the premium top-sprung Kanstuls have straight-through valve clusters. The 'entry-level' 725 and bottom-sprung models like the 1025 do not.

westerner wrote:
Is there a reason I should prefer the older Courtois to the Kanstul horns or vice versa?

In a word, no. They are both excellent, well-made instruments.

I recently acquired a Noblet flugelhorn, which is a stencil of an earlier Leblanc flugel, which is in turn a stencil the Courtois design of which you speak (the generation before the "direct air" 154/155 series). They are all basically the same horn.

The only odd thing about the Noblet and Leblanc (not sure about the Courtois) is that they use a very proprietary mouthpiece (longer/narrower shank than a standard French taper) and leadpipe. However, a shortened version of Charlie Melk's Couesnon replacement leadpipe fits just fine; I bought one of those so that I can use regular small Morse taper flugel pieces with the horn.

It has a lovely flugel tone and good intonation. The Noblet version is Mike Metheny's horn of choice; you can hear him play it on several YouTube videos.

I have not actually played the Kanstul Besson Brevette/925, but another recent acquisition of mine is a Kanstul Besson Laureate, which is nearly the same as the 1025. This is probably the best flugelhorn I own (and I own over 10, including a Yamaha 6310Z and 635T) -- excellent build quality, slick valves, good intonation, and a wonderful creamy tone. The only downside is a third valve trigger mounted on the bell branch near the third valve casing, where its sharp edges can rub against a finger of the left hand (the 925 doesn't have this problem).

I also have a B&S Challenger II Bronchon flugel which plays very nicely with great intonation, but prices of new ones went 'through the roof' since Buffet Crampon took over the company.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: