• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Books by Clark Terry and Phil Rizzo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Books by Clark Terry and Phil Rizzo Reply with quote

I've been reading "Clark - The Autobiography of Clark Terry." He mentions two other books he authored: (1) "Interpretation of the Jazz Language" (co-authored with Phil Rizzo), MAS Publishing (1977); and (2) "Let's Talk Trumpet", Creative Jazz Composers, Inc. (1973). I've checked the usual online out-of-print book resources and haven't been able to learn anything about either book. If anyone on TH is familiar with one or both of them, would they mind briefly describing the contents? From the recent videos of Clark Terry teaching - posted on TH - and from what I have read so far, Clark seems to be a really fine teacher, and I'm wondering if I should try to add either of these books to my library.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sibley Library here has the first book, I can check it out. Maybe someplace near you has it too.

Here's catalog records for the latter book, which isn't held anywhere near my location (listed twice, as a book and as a musical score):
https://www.worldcat.org/title/lets-talk-trumpet-from-legit-to-jazz/oclc/2810327
https://www.worldcat.org/title/lets-talk-trumpet-from-legit-to-jazz/oclc/68943081
But maybe having the additional information there will help you.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting the links to the catalog listings. Although the books are still elusive, the listings gave me a better idea of what the books may contain. I'll continue the search, and if I turn up one or both books, I'll post a description.
RobertCharlton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the recommendations! In general, autobiographies are one of my favorite genres.
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of trumpet player autobiographies available, both in print and out of print but on the used market. A few that I have read are:

Gillespie, Dizzy w/Al Fraseer,"To Be or Not to Bop," Doubleday, 1979.

Terry, Clark, "Clark: The Autobiography of Clark Terry," University of California Press, 2011.

Blanchard, Terence, "Contemporary Cat," The Scarecrow Press, 2002. This is part autobiography and part Blanchard's overview of the motion picture and music recording scene, with interviews with many of his contemporaries.

Of course there are autobiographies by Louis Armstrong (several, over time), Miles Davis (with Quincy Troup).
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more trumpet player's autobiography:
Hugh Masekla and D. Michael Cheers, "Still Grazing," Crown Publishers, 2004.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one wants to read an engrossing Autobiography of the Jazz life, read "Straight Life" by Art Pepper.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Pepper's autobiography is very, very highly recommended. I was stunned at his candor, and I have to say it may be the most memorable book by a musician that I have read. A truly fine and heartfelt work.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out "Interpretation of the Jazz Language" (mentioned in the first post above) from my school library. It's a pretty fun book. Very little writing, mostly musical examples. Every musical example includes "scat" syllables, presumably from the mind of Terry. I took some photos of various pages:

Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq: Thanks! I've never seen anything like this in print. In videos one often hears verbal examples of rhythm patterns demonstrated by teachers like Wynton Marsalis, Clark Terry, et al. It's interesting to see it "transcribed."
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not specifically directed to brasss players, here is a link to an in-print book on scat singing supported by audio tracks: https://www.scatsinging.com
LMPESKIN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Phil Rizzo Reply with quote

I have written a book chapter about Phil Rizzo, Clark Terry's co-author on three books. I would be glad to provide more info on my writing. Two of the Rizzo/ Terry books discussed here, Let's Talk Trumpet and Clark Terry's System of Circular Breathing are so rare, I have never seen the covers. I saw the pages uploaded here from the RIzzo/ Terry coauthored book Interpretations of the Jazz Language, to which there was a trippy cover. I could show that to people off Forum, can't seem to upload here. If anyone could display the covers of the other two books here, that would be so super. I am giving some library presentations soon, where I will mention Phil Rizzo, his Modern Music School in Bedford, Ohio and his association with Terry.

TY,
Laura
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Phil Rizzo Reply with quote

LMPESKIN wrote:
Two of the Rizzo/ Terry books discussed here, Let's Talk Trumpet and Clark Terry's System of Circular Breathing are so rare, I have never seen the covers.

Laura,
Both volumes are held by libraries, Let's Talk Trumpet by quite a few. Neither are available in my local library (Sibley). The Interpretations book I excerpted above was rebound, presumably by the Sibley--even if you were able to have a copy lent to you from, say, UW Madison (which holds both), you may find it lacks the cover.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/lets-talk-trumpet-from-legit-to-jazz/oclc/2810327&referer=brief_results

https://www.worldcat.org/title/clark-terrys-system-of-circular-breathing-for-all-woodwing-and-brass-instrumentalists/oclc/10560598&referer=brief_results

Eric
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
LMPESKIN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric I don't need to borrow Interpretations. I read it and scanned the cover. I don't know why I can't upload that cool cover here. Image uploads don't seem to be a feature of the Trumpet Forum. I appreciate the library list on Let's Talk Trumpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: