• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Emptying water from a new Getzen Eterna 800DLX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laser170323
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Emptying water from a new Getzen Eterna 800DLX Reply with quote

For Christmas I got a new cornet. Santa brought me a Getzen Eterna 800 Deluxe. (I know - lucky me.)

I am really enjoying the horn with one exception ... emptying the water from the main lead pipe is not easy. The horn has "regular" lever spit valves, no Amados or Saturn waterkeys. When I open the spit valve a couple drops come out, but most of the water blows past the hole. I've tried blowing softly, shaking the horn, blowing sharply through the horn, etc. Nothing seems to empty the water except pulling the tuning slide and tipping over the horn, which is not the end of the world, but still is a bit of a pain. As a side comment, the third valve waterkey does a great job emptying the water.

Any suggestions to improve the ability of the horn to empty water?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really, perhaps, a condescending question but it's not meant to be. Have you checked to make sure that the spit key's hole is completely open?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
laser170323
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought too. So I poked around with a paperclip. Seems open, but I can't say with 100% certainty it's fully open.

I have another Getzen cornet that I used as my "travel horn". It's a student model and I bought it on Ebay. It has Amado waterkeys and it is very similar in its ability to empty water. I alway blamed the Amado key. Maybe I was wrong. And maybe that's a clue.

So what I think might be the problem is the location of the hole. I have been experimenting with holding the horn more horizontal when emptying the water. I tend to hold the horn at 45 degrees facing downward when emptying the water normally.

I know when installing a new water key, technicians often put water on the outside of the slide to see where it settles and drips. I don't know if I can do that with an existing key already installed?!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great technique for cornets, which often have loops that don't always get in the right position to drain, is to point the bell up, depress all valves and blow forcefully. Then drain everything out the bell.

I've done the same with some trumpets and was surprised at the hidden condensation that came out.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have to remove the tuning slide on my cornet to drain the water. I think it's a cornet thing.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
bworth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Getzen Eterna cornet, 1982, has the same issue.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about having a repair tech open the drain holes one drill size. I have done this with success.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every cornet I’ve played!
I do the blow and rotate and it will come pouring out the bell. Kinda like the horns do.
I’ve found that I’m not a fan of water keys at all. Sure they’re somewhat handy in the thick, but mostly there’s enough time to empty water with other methods.
I pull my third slide already on my trumpet to dump and have adopted pulling my main to empty as well.
I don’t care to have water keys at all on cornet. In my experience they are useless
laser170323
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Good ideas.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a waterpik for cleaning your teeth, put it on high, press the button on the amado and shoot water into it. If there is any dirt blocking it, then this should fix it.

Go Yankees!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insert a paper towel between the waterkey cork and the drain hole while the key is open.
Gently close and open the waterkey, and take out the paper towel. Spit and condensation will wick itself out.

Next time, do the same with some rubbing alcohol added to wet the paper towel. This will reduce the surface tension, allowing the spit to drain. You can also wet the paper towel with some liquid soap - use water afterwards to remove the soap.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably have water sitting in the crock leading into the third slide. Tilt the horn so the water flows backwards around the main tuning slide to where the water key is. Simple and quick.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: