• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warburton

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the.musicman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Warburton Reply with quote

I'm interested in hearing from people who have used Warburton mouthpieces. Would like to know what you used and your experience. Thanks in advance.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Warburton's 6MC now. It's comparable size-wise to a Bach 7C as far as diameter; in that range at least (perhaps it feels just a very tiny bit smaller). The rim is nicely rounded, and very comfortable.

The MC for my money, is about as shallow as I can go and still get a very acceptable sound. It's bright, but not piercing. To my ears - the sound sparkles. I'm very impressed with it.

The rim is so comfortable that I bought 3 cups (used to save money), and had Matt Frost cut the rims off of them; now I use them on a good number of Reeves underparts, too. Very nice, comfy rim.

I talked to a top pro (I won't give the his name but most everyone would recognize it) who had used Warburton's pieces for years. Endorsements now enter and change the picture, but if top guys like Warburton pieces enough to have used them for years, they're good stuff.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Warburton 4 series mouthpieces for over thirty years now. I also use a Stomvi Flex 3FVR, but I had them thread a Warburton 4 rim onto it.

The cool thing about Warburtons is that you can find the exact setup that works best for you on every horn and in every situation. And they have some of the best customer service in the business. I would not hesitate to recommend Warburtons to anyone.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
the.musicman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. How about the backbore? I tried the 4MC with the KT backbore and liked it. I use a Bach 10.5C currently - how do I know which rim diameter would be the closest fit? Is there a way to try different combinations before purchasing?
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the.musicman wrote:
Thanks for the info. How about the backbore? I tried the 4MC with the KT backbore and liked it. I use a Bach 10.5C currently - how do I know which rim diameter would be the closest fit? Is there a way to try different combinations before purchasing?

The closest rim diameter to the Bach 10.5 is their 7 series tops. The 4MC is similar to a Bach 3C. Scroll to the bottom of this page: https://warburton-usa.com/collections/trumpet-mouthpieces-standard-models/products/trumpet-mouthpiece-top
and click "comparison charts."

The best way to try different combinations is if you can find a dealer near you that has a Warburton Master Kit with all the different pieces. You could call Warburton directly for more advice.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find their rim contour and undercut comfortable, then they've got you covered from lead to British Band.
pmadsen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using Warburton mouthpieces for close to 30 years. I use the 3 rims and have had good luck with the anchor grip rims. The rim is similar to early cornet mouthpiece rims. Usually with a 7 backbore. Would like to echo earlier remarks on excellent customer service.

Peter Madsen
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how do I know which rim diameter would be the closest fit?

Get in touch with Warburton. They can offer you the best advice regarding what is closest to a 10.5C. They answer questions like that all the time.

If you really like the 10.5C top and just want to match it to a Warburton backbore, you can order a Bach 10.5C from Mouthpiece Express and have them cut the top and thread it for Warburton compatibility.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:
how do I know which rim diameter would be the closest fit?

If you really like the 10.5C top and just want to match it to a Warburton backbore, you can order a Bach 10.5C from Mouthpiece Express and have them cut the top and thread it for Warburton compatibility.

https://mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=197_213_214_1155&products_id=22238&osCsid=c1o30m44bck835jrrejongia43
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Warburton to see if I could possibly find a solution to an issue I was having with slotting and accuracy. Clear back when I was at the Armed Forces School of Music, I knew a kid who had a Warburton something or other - pretty sure it was a 3SV rim/cup - and I remember liking it.

At the time I was playing a Schilke 14A4 on a Schilke B6 trumpet, and my accuracy was really hit or miss. If I was on, I was fine, but if I wasn't on, it was like they say about how trumpet players are like pirates: I was murder on the high C's.

What I was looking for was a mouthpiece that had similar playing characteristics, but that also had a bit more bite to the rim to hopefully help my slotting and accuracy.

I ended up talking to Ken Titmus who recommended the 4SVW cup/rim on a KT backbore. Talking to Ken was a Godsend because he had a great idea of what to prescribe to help me, but he also gave me some advice and guidance about how to acclimate to the new mouthpiece, which proved to be invaluable.

He flat out told me that I was going to lose a note or two off of my upper register at first, but that I'd get them back and they'd be stronger than they were. If I hadn't known that, I may have thought, "well dang-nabbit! This durned thang tain't a-workin'!" and it would have wound up on a shelf or in a box or something. Because I knew that information, when I did lose a couple of notes of upper register, I stuck with it, and exactly as he said, I got them back and got them back stronger. It took about 2-3 weeks to fully acclimate to it, which is faster than almost any other mouthpiece change I've ever made.

That setup, which I later combined with a Jupiter 1600i Ingram trumpet, ended up making me a better player. I had so much more control and accuracy over where I'd been previously, and it made gigging a lot more fun. I also gained some endurance out of it - it was nice to get to the end of a wedding dance gig and still have chops left.

At this point a person wanting to move to a Warburton setup has a couple of options:

1. Call Warburton
2. Call Ken Titmus at KT Custom Mouthpieces (He's also a Warburton dealer)

https://ktcustommouthpiece.com/

I don't know who would be more knowledgeable between Ken or Terry - Any time I called Warburton I asked for Ken, and if I ever want to change something else again, he's who I'll probably call because to date, he's never been wrong for me.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Warburton Reply with quote

Hello all,
After playing a Schilke 15B through college, I found myself with the Warburton 4 series. I think I had a M, MC, MD and maybe a D cup. Within a couple of years,I switched to the 5 series as I found the diameter to fit my dental structure better. This was all about 35 years ago. 6, 6*, KT* for trumpet shanks, 5 and 6 for cornet shanks. It is nice to have a bunch of cups to choose from ( S to MBC) depending on the group or horn. Because of the pandemic, I have made the switch to some of the 4 series (MC, MD, D), as it matches up better with my Schilke 14 and 14B. For me, the rim contour on the Warburton was softer than my Bach piece and edgier than my Schilke.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been experimenting with Warburton 1 series mouthpieces because of my lip injury. The main down side is that you are stuck with a 27 throat - if you want the whole system to work together.

A few things I have found that are really interesting.

Backbores H and J29 - reverse taper - longer to accommodate that, but very interesting. Produce lots of compression without feeling overly tight

Backbore PT - they list it under commercial backbores, but its a 24 style orchestral backbone. The 10 is one a lot of people choose but its quite bright like a 117. The PT is much better for orchestral playing.

They also do C trumpet backbores but I haven't had to look at those.

I also have an ACB MO backbore which I use on my piccolo trumpet, but with a James R New S4MS top. So, you have other compatible options for the warburton system.

I am trying out the 1MD 1SV and 1MV tops. The rims are quite flat compared to Bach ones. My intention is to find a larger more commercial sounding set up for the times I need it.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Padre08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before making a comeback, I was playing on variations of the 4 cup and backbores. After 20 years, I decided to come back. I started with the 3C just to get the feeling back and the went to ACB, which I think are super comfortable. However, because I have a Conn 22B and read about gap issues and shank sizes (compared to the Conn precision mouthpiece made for the horn), I went to the Warburton 7B backbore (slightly larger shank), with 4MD cup. So far, I'm really liking it and can tell the difference with this horn. I'm going to stick with this combo for a while!

Rusty
bluesholyman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After being on a Bach 5c with my Bach horn in High School, I moved over to a Warburton 4MD with a 6 backbore and stayed with that through college until I ended up taking a different course in life a number of years later. My private teacher at the time was Bob Birch and he was the one that put me on to the Warburton mouth pieces - this would have been in the mid/late 80s. I don't remember much well from back then, I more or less entrusted Bob and I definitely got better in many ways after the switch.

Now, getting back into playing many years later, I am just using a Yamaha 14B4 until I am back into shape. I will take a look at Warburton's again when the time comes.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best (most useable) mpc top (cup) I currently own is a pre-fire Warb 3MC. I have several Warburton tops (mostly 3MC's and various bottoms including (KT's, 8's, 8*'s and many others bought from 1989 to 2015. Those years incorporate "the fire" in 2005 which changed a lot for Warburton. The Warburton staff which used to include Kenny Titmus is great! Currently with all my Warburton inventory I have that favorite 3MC top and several other tops that are slightly "different". I also have several bottoms (shanks/backbores) accumulated from over the years. They play a little more consistent in the number description. The stock tops changed when Terry resumed making product after the fire in 2005. Terry has made me several custom tops "copied" from my original 3MC pieces that are not useable for me. That vintage 2003 3MC top plus a 2003 KT backbore has been my favorite. I have 30 to 40 different Warburton parts and no combination plays better than that. Except I recently went to KT's new shop in Orlando and purchased one of his custom backbores which has now become with the old 3MC the best combo I currently use. If you find a Warburton you like it is a winner!

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hose wrote:
The best (most useable) mpc top (cup) I currently own is a pre-fire Warb 3MC. I have several Warburton tops (mostly 3MC's and various bottoms including (KT's, 8's, 8*'s and many others bought from 1989 to 2015. Those years incorporate "the fire" in 2005 which changed a lot for Warburton. The Warburton staff which used to include Kenny Titmus is great! Currently with all my Warburton inventory I have that favorite 3MC top and several other tops that are slightly "different". I also have several bottoms (shanks/backbores) accumulated from over the years. They play a little more consistent in the number description. The stock tops changed when Terry resumed making product after the fire in 2005. Terry has made me several custom tops "copied" from my original 3MC pieces that are not useable for me. That vintage 2003 3MC top plus a 2003 KT backbore has been my favorite. I have 30 to 40 different Warburton parts and no combination plays better than that. Except I recently went to KT's new shop in Orlando and purchased one of his custom backbores which has now become with the old 3MC the best combo I currently use. If you find a Warburton you like it is a winner!

I would have to check my box of mouthpieces I keep for reference, but I think I have an old 3s or 3mc or something with a KT backbore from back in the 90’s, When did this fire happen?
Georgetown, TX
2022 Bach 190s37 artist select
1976 Schilke X3lb
Jupiter 846l black lacquer
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted: double post…

Last edited by Notlem on Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notiem: Fire was summer ‘05. Destroyed factory. Lost all programs. He had to start from scratch to build mpcs.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play Curry #5 pieces but i'm interested in trying Warburton. The Curry #5 size is slightly larger than the Bach equivalent even if the rim shape i similar, what Warburton size do you recommend? Maybe 4?
Also: is the rim all the same on the various Warburton pieces (i mean shape: flat. rounded)? I ask this beacause in the Curry line the rim change (#2 flat #5 rounded).
Thanks for any help.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
I play Curry #5 pieces but i'm interested in trying Warburton. The Curry #5 size is slightly larger than the Bach equivalent even if the rim shape i similar, what Warburton size do you recommend? Maybe 4?
Also: is the rim all the same on the various Warburton pieces (i mean shape: flat. rounded)? I ask this beacause in the Curry line the rim change (#2 flat #5 rounded).
Thanks for any help.

That's a good question for Warburton people. I'm not that familiar with the pieces he makes now (post fire). Or call Ken Titmus, aka KTCustom mpcs , at 407 330 7293. He's a Warburton dealer and an expert at diagnosing.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: