• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Differences between mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
annvill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:25 am    Post subject: Differences between mouthpieces Reply with quote

Can anyone point out the differences in terms of sound between these mouthpieces:
Bach 3C currente
Bach 3C of the 70s period
Yamaha Bobby Shew JAZZ
Warburton 4MD/7-7*
Laskey 65MC
Schilke 14
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound?
This may be controversial, but I'm going to say it: Not enough to guide the decision.

They're all relatively similar sorts of pieces in similar ID's, fairly similar sorts of cup depths and shapes, sensible rim contours (different but all pretty comfortable).

Back when I was willing to play that kind of diameter I really liked my corp 3c (no dot corp) and the Schilke 14 (actually a 1.5c copy but who's counting?).. a lot of players like the Shew Jazz with its slightly tighter backbore.

Ultimately though, play whichever works best for you, in terms of, for example:
- Security in quiet playing
- Ease of note production (try starting a G in the staff at pp with no tongue - you'd be amazed how good a predictor this is of a good match!)
- Clarity and ease of articulation.
- IGNORE/DISREGARD tonal subtleties, you'll begin to sound like you naturally as you acclimate either way, the inherent differences won't be significant in the end between pieces as similar as these.

The above assumes you own or have access to all of these and want to choose which one to use - if you do not, I would not recommend buying them all unless they're used and reasonably priced (ie: you can sell them again and recoup the entirety of the spend).
An exception might possibly be made for players at very high levels of performance looking to fine-tune equipment for a tweak, you will NOT find a step change between these pieces at any level of development.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the tighter backbore doesn't belong to the Shew Lead, instead of the Shew Jazz?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Are you sure the tighter backbore doesn't belong to the Shew Lead, instead of the Shew Jazz?

It's been a while (ie: I could be wrong) but from what I remember the Shew Jazz feels a little tighter in the backbore than a plain old Bach 3C... Not super tight but more 76 than 10, maybe?

If anyone knows definitively either way I'm happy to be corrected or corroborated.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to 3c’s, there is more variation in the backbores than there is in the cup depth or diameter. There is variation in the contour of the bite, and outer rim radius but the inner diameter of Bach 3c’s are remarkably consistent. The backbore though can be pretty different.I assume that is because of variation in how far the backbore reamer was inserted, but it could also be variation in the reamers from one time period to another.

I’ll check the shew jazz backbore today if I think of it.I don’t think it’s particularly small though
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Shew Jazz backbore is a little tighter than a Bach 3C.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the mouthpiece, player, and horn all match, and if you are playing equipment that gives you the best accuracy, ylunwillmalwaysbslund like YOU.
Perfect example is Doc. Over his career he has played hundreds of different horns and thousands of mouthpieces, yet you drop the needle on any recording of him from any era, and you know it is Doc within a couple of notes.

Play test those pieces and see which play most accurately for you.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. Scriver wrote:

Perfect example is Doc. Over his career he has played hundreds of different horns and thousands of mouthpieces, yet you drop the needle on any recording of him from any era, and you know it is Doc within a couple of notes.

I almost never read this, but if there are subtle differences in sound, one reason people think Player X sounds always like himself is because of distinctive articulations and phrasing.

Not only that, but difference in audio technologies vary and affect the sound quality from the control booth. Did Doc really "sound exactly like Doc" when recording A has the Solo Trumpet part attenuated to enhance the horn's upper partials and with a lot of echo, while recording B does just the opposite?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kurth83

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me...

And I could afford it...

I would buy them all...

I am a believer in MAS...

I have found that some mouthpieces work well on one horn don't work so well on others,so I like having a large collection to match with a new horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: