• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Two Vintage Cornets - Help Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dladore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject: Two Vintage Cornets - Help Needed Reply with quote

Looking for some advice. I have two vintage cornets. A Getzen 80 Deluxe from the late 50’s and a Martin Handcraft Imperial from 1939. The Getzen needs work and I’d like to have the Martin checked out. Not sure what I will ultimately do, but I would like to keep one vintage and then maybe purchase a newer one. I’m a comeback player, who is relearning and playing for fun. I don’t want to break the bank. I live in coastal North Carolina and am looking for a reputable technician/shop where I can have these horns evaluated. Any help is appreciated.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to watch the receiver / leadpipe intersection on older Martin cornets. On some, the inside diameter of the (mouthpiece end - venturi) leadpipe is greater than the inside diameter of the (leadpipe end) of the reciever so you have a sudden expansion from the receiver to the beginning of the leadpipe. This causes notes above 5th line F to not slot. Pitch becomes difficult to control.
( "lipshurt" has posted on this problem. I had the same problem with an older Besson cornet.) If your Martin has this problem, sell it to someone willing to replace the leadpipe.

The other costly thing to evaluate - valve compression.

If you just want a good playing cornet, there are many used student horns on e-Bay for less than $150. Yamaha, King, Getzen etc.
dladore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Two Vintage Cornets - Update Reply with quote

Well, I sold the Getzen cornet this week on Reverb. I'm really thinking about keeping the 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial. Two questions: First Any suggestions on who in my area (Coastal North Carolina) would be a good person/shop to send it to for evaluation/cleaning, etc. Second, any recommendations on a mouthpiece for this horn.

Thanks!
dladore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No suggestions?
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far are you willing to drive? There must be someone in Myrtle Beach? Otherwise, there are lots of recommendations on people here to ship to (maybe Rich Ita in Atlanta?)

For mouthpiece, does it take a standard shank? What have you tried so far?
dladore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have tried a Wick 4B and a Bach 3c. They're not bad...but sometimes the horn seems to miss when going from the lower to upper register. Haven't found anyone in MB but was told there was a place in Surf Side, which is about an hour from me. No problem driving there. I am also considering maybe selling this horn and trying to find a lighter cornet that may be easier for to play. I'm 66 and just started playing again after 50 years. I just want to play for fun and am interested in Jazz. Like both the modern and old time Dixieland. The Martin is a tank and pretty heavy. Anyway...lots of decisions to make! Thanks for any advice.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great thing about trumpet is compared to other instruments it's fairly cheap and it's fun to try out different things. I would be tempted to go with a newish cornet or trumpet over something that's 80 years old.

For mouthpiece, those are both standard. I like the deeper mouthpieces for cornet (Yamaha 14e, Bach 5b, etc.). It's up to you. For me, part of the fun is the gear.

For cleaning/repairs there *must* be someone in the area who repairs school instruments and does regular repairs. I'd call around or check out FB, etc.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dladore wrote:
So far I have tried a Wick 4B and a Bach 3c. They're not bad...but sometimes the horn seems to miss when going from the lower to upper register.

If you're on a search for an American Jazz-useable mouthpiece, consider a Purviance. His mouthpieces have a cornet-like quality and are particularly for American, as opposed to British Brass Band use.

Bob Reeves makes Purviance mouthpieces.
https://bobreeves.com/

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: