• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do you guys get past "morning lips"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JensenW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: How do you guys get past "morning lips" Reply with quote

I am a comeback player and the best time to practice is early in the morning. Yet, I often have a case of "morning lips" which means that I often am blowing air balls early in the morning. If I wait till about late morning or early afternoon, my "morning lips" clear up and I can play without spitting air balls. But it would be helpful if I didn't have to wait.

So, the question is, how do you get over morning lips. I should point out that I plan on playing church services, which often occur in the morning.

The goal is to be a better trumpeter today than I was yesterday.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've been starting every day with some mouthpiece buzzing - using Jim Thompson's "Buzzing Book." You can't fake it with the mouthpiece and if I've got "morning lips" a few glissandi on the mouthpiece will usually get me going. Maybe this means that it's an "air" problem and not a "lip" problem.

For years I did a bit of warmup on a leadpipe (remove your tuning slide) which has some similar effects, plus lets you find resonance in a slot.

It does seem to be a bit worse for me in the dry winter air; maybe some lip balm would help.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a cup of hot water or hot chocolate. Tea might be too astringent, but coffee might be ok. Hydrate.

Use a lip balm before going to sleep.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest looking at the Bill Adam subforum here and reading everything you can about blowing the leadpipe.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
JensenW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I do drink coffee, but I will try some of the other tricks of the trade.

Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll add that avoiding salty foods at night will help.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall reading it above, but perhaps it would help to end each playing day with a good, gentle warm down, focusing your chops.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try playing a shallow mouthpiece. When I switched from a C cup to D, and now E cup, I've found that my lips swell less when I play (less lip intrusion into the cup), which means they're less swollen/sore the next day. I can warm up much quicker and haven't had nearly as hard of a time playing in the morning as I used to. It takes a couple weeks to get your regular sound out of the piece as you adjust to the smaller volume, but once you figure it out, it works great.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem for many years. I think it's due to swelling of the lips, making them less responsive to vibration.
Lying down for hours causes redistribution of fluid that has been in the lower ("dependent") parts of the body all day while we were upright. When you look in the mirror in the morning, you can see the swelling around your eyes. You can't really see it in the lips because there isn't much loose space there, but there is enough fluid to mess with lip function.
What has helped me is to arise several hours before playing (helps that fluid to be redistributed by gravity). Also, open the lip aperture a fraction, while using less pressure than usual.

Oh, and I think in my case the problem has gotten worse with age.
JensenW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp,

I think you have hit on something. I is like my lips are stiff as if swollen. I don't drink alcohol, and limit salt. But your idea about redistributing fluids during sleep has merit, but if true, I don't see anything I can do except wait it out.

JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tend to get better at what we practice. If you want to play well early in the morning, practice early in the morning. In time, your body will likely adapt.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever reason, I have the opposite problem. I play best in the morning. And the longer I wait to play, the stiffer my chops feel.

I also think the way our chops feel on any given day may be directly related to how much we abused them the day before. For example, it's tough to play in the morning, if you played a lot the night before.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
ebolton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually get a few minutes to practice in the morning, but I do my more significant session after work. My morning session is always better. I don't feel any different as far as playing the trumpet physically, but cognitively I'm better before work than after. I think some people are morning people, and some are not.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have to perform in the morning so I just don't worry about it. I rarely touch the trumpet before 10 AM. If I had early gigs I would play in the morning more and get used to it.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem, and learned a technique from Bobby Shew that helps:

Roll your lips in together so that they are over the tops of your front teeth and then very gently "chew" on your lips for 10 seconds or so. Then roll your lips in and out for a few seconds. Repeat that sequence several times over 10-15 minutes, along with some free buzzing (lip flapping).

Good luck!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daily 5 am morning practice starts with a series of Chicowitz flow studies. My usual morning spitty tone is gone after a few bars.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes when I have an early church gig the morning after a strenuous performance the night before, I take an Advil before I leave in the morning and that seems to help. Plus lots of free buzzing and pedal tones when I warm up for early gig.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to start my day earlier.

Even after 25 years of USAF band with frequent rehearsals and gigs early in the day, I was and still am much more comfortable later in the day. I don't like early gigs.

I wake up early enough to take a hot shower, brush teeth (both help get the blood flowing / muscles loose). A hot drink - coffee, tea..
Then a stress free warm-up session early enough to have a break afterwards before the event. So, 30-40 minute warm'up/routine, at least 30 minute break (I prefer a full hour), then I'm more likely ready to go.
If it's really a bad day-the chops don't respond, I may try to do a little more stretching - from whole body stretching, breathing, etc, to some more gentle playing.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I side with Zaferis. I have a hard time, always had, with playing early in the morning. So I will have to rise early in order to make possible a gentle warm up session, length somewhat varying depending on the state of my chops - then I´ll have my breakfast whereupon I return to the warming up. First part no longer than up to before lips becoming to feel somewhat swollen.
I do low Clarke´s, gentle double pedals, low lip flexibilities etc. etc.

Seems that the time between the first warm up and next session is extremely important - as is the time to the performance (mostly in a church). I remember a church concert at Kerkrade, Netherlands, 52 years ago, I occupied the soprano chair, a tiny Czech contraption, first note a high A. It was 7 am. I put the horn to my lips and blew. Nothing came out, not even air.....
Also I´ve found that what I do the night/day before play-wise is important; heavy gigging is not an option.
The system has to become initialized, then idling, then I can get going, however not revving up too soon.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft long tones and Schlossberg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: