• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Amado Waterkeys

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Amado keys Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to mention why the Amado key was invented in the first place. They stick, they leak, oil gets everywhere, they're hard to maintain, they're ugly...wah, wah, wah. Swap them out for an old style lever key and move on.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

You're a funny guy.

For me, the Amado is a pain in the butt. I do believe that when it works and is clean, the trumpet plays better. Less chance for the sound wave to hit the opening. Everything is a trade off. Smaller hole, better playing, less water out. Tighter piston, more sticking less chance for a leak.

I have been warned by Monette that I shouldn't need to take it apart to clean.
If I do, I could break the plastic plug. In reality, you have to clean it. To the people that say, Oil it and you won't have a problem, take one apart and take a look at what's built up in there.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm perplexed and don't understand the defensiveness about Amado use. If you don't want a horn with Amados, either don't use one or get the spit valve/key replaced.

Personally, I would rather not have Amados (I have both) but I don't trash them. Just a matter of personal taste, kind of like advocating for hot dogs over hamburgers. Who cares?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had any problems with the Amado water keys on my Getzens. My Eterna 700 is 22 years old and I bought my Eterna flugel used 42 years ago. Sometimes the keys on the flugel stick if I don't play it for awhile, but a drop of valve oil solves the problem. As long as I clean my horns regularly there are no issues. I prefer them to lever spitvalves because I don't have to worry about corks and springs (have had to replace them on my Bach more than once).
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: