• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

National Brass Ensemble

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonprokingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: National Brass Ensemble Reply with quote

Is there a particular reason this topic was recently deleted? Mr. Sachs offered some valuable insight. Also, some valid points were brought up on possible improvements. Why is this info being censored?

Edited to correct spelling

Last edited by Nonprokingdom on Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I may not have seen all of it before it got pulled, but it looked like an ugly spectacle to me. Granted people should be free to express their views, but I wish they could do it in ways that are respectfully constructive, rather than picking fights with high-profile posters. (Or anybody else, for that matter.)

Some of the posts were thoughtful, for sure, but I miss the time when we had a number of leading figures in our field regularly posting here. I personally would much rather read what Mike Sachs would like to share about this project than people complaining about it having too many principal players, or vague ensemble problems, and I bet I'm not alone.

I'm not suggesting that famous people here should be immune to criticism, or that everyone always has to fawn over everything they do, but a general expectation of the same kind of civility we would expect face-to-face would make this a much better place for everyone.
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: National Brass Ensemble Reply with quote

Nonprokingdom wrote:
Is there a particular reason this topic was recently deleted? Mr. Sacks offered some valuable insight. Also, some valid points were brought up on possible improvements. Why is this info being censored?

It's Sachs.

DB
Nonprokingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: National Brass Ensemble Reply with quote

[quote="Daniel Barenboim"][quote="Nonprokingdom"]Is there a particular reason this topic was recently deleted? Mr. Sacks offered some valuable insight. Also, some valid points were brought up on possible improvements. Why is this info being censored?[/quote]

It's Sachs.

DB[/quote]

autocorrección puede ser un dolor a veces. Lo siento señor Barenboim. Humildemente te pido perdon, de un Argentino a otro
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was grateful from that thread to learn about the "Making of Gabrieli" on youtube, which is quite good (watching it right now).

My other takeaway was, geez, trumpet players are competitive. Personally I'm grateful for any ensemble brass production that folk organize. Grateful that there will be another one.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still here, in reduced and locked form: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158517

It turned into a big pissing contest and was cleaned and locked. For decades I have hoped trumpet players would quit living down to our expectations but it is unlikely to ever come to pass.
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Too bad Reply with quote

I was not involved in the disagreement that ensued during this forum.
The point I made was regarding diversity and inclusion within a great group such as this. I commented that a group like the Rodney Marsalis brass ensemble is a great example of how diversity can be successful, playing with people who look different, studied with different teachers and having a vast variety of experiences.

Something to really think about and hopefully consider for the future.
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Too bad Reply with quote

Jabroni wrote:
The point I made was regarding diversity and inclusion within a great group such as this. I commented that a group like the Rodney Marsalis brass ensemble is a great example of how diversity can be successful, playing with people who look different, studied with different teachers and having a vast variety of experiences.

If you don't like the orchestra audition process, which is a meritocracy, then its not for you.
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Too bad Reply with quote

mhenrikse wrote:
Jabroni wrote:

If you don't like the orchestra audition process, which is a meritocracy, then its not for you.

No doubt hard work was put in , and for those that achieve such positions as principal, they are no doubt tremendously talented, but to shoot down a comment that points out the lack of diversity with a condescending cry about ‘merit’ is profoundly lacking in awareness of the systemic inequality that precedes the situation.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Too bad Reply with quote

mhenrikse wrote:
Jabroni wrote:

Not knowing how this group was formed, I don't mean to take one side or another (given that we don't know who was asked, but wasn't able to participate), but I would speculate that Jabroni's comment might mean to highlight the fact that all the trumpets selected for this group are male, and overwhelmingly from European backgrounds. Obviously this does still represent the majority of orchestral brass players, but, for instance, there are prominent Black trumpet players in top orchestras, and prominent female trumpet players as well, but none of them are present in this group.

Last edited by Steve A on Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hesitate to put my toe back into this, but I think we're missing the point.

The reaction to some of the first posts was not, necessarily, against their proposing a more ecumenical position selection in orchestras, or how people were selected for this project. Instead of a positive reaction, we get negativity right from the get-go.

It was that, as soon as this complex, massive project was announced, instead of showing excitement for it and how impressive putting together such a massive project and the subsequent awesome musical, experience we look forward to is, some posters' first salvo out of the gate was to criticize the project and make negative social comments about it.

It's not that Forum members might disagree with the detractors' comments or that they're not fair game for discussion. It's the posters' timing. Let's show our admiration and interest in this project, first and leave the social engineering for later.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a hot button issue, and that poster was 100% in the right for calling it out. If anyone was uncomfortable by it, then that is part of the issue.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
It's a hot button issue, and that poster was 100% in the right for calling it out. If anyone was uncomfortable by it, then that is part of the issue.

No doubt, but isn't that a good topic for another thread, rather than trashing one who's purpose was to announce this project?

And no, questioning the timing of this negativity at a moment when we should be positive, does not imply that one is part of the problem rather than being part of the solution. One doesn't imply the other.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nonprokingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Don Herman rev2"]It's still here, in reduced and locked form: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158517

It turned into a big pissing contest and was cleaned and locked. For decades I have hoped trumpet players would quit living down to our expectations but it is unlikely to ever come to pass.[/quote]

You’re right, it was so “reduced” I thought it was a different thread!

Why are posts being censored that don’t break TH policy or guidelines?
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:

Kafka trap

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:

Kafka trap

spot on!
Nonprokingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incorrect.

Being uncomfortable talking about a particular issue doesn’t mean that person is being accused of anything. The issue needs to be talked about openly and, hopefully, objectively.

Interesting to note that the term Kafka trap is often used to deflect warranted claims of lack of diversity.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily disagree about the importance of open discussion, but there's a time and a place.

If someone sends you a wedding invitation, it's not an occasion to discuss their liabilities individually or as a couple; it's a time to celebrate. This was an announcement like that. If you want to discuss selection, auditioning, professional demographics, etc., those probably don't belong in this thread.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I don't necessarily disagree about the importance of open discussion, but there's a time and a place.

If someone sends you a wedding invitation, it's not an occasion to discuss their liabilities individually or as a couple; it's a time to celebrate. This was an announcement like that. If you want to discuss selection, auditioning, professional demographics, etc., those probably don't belong in this thread.

Excellent analogy.

nonpro . . if you had started a separate thread on this subject, you might have gotten a large response. But by just jumping into a thread who's intent was to be a positive one with, what some would describe as snarky, comments, you get . . (crickets).

Learn from it. There's a way to get what you want. This isn't it.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Nonprokingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fair. Mr. Sachs original post/invitation was not the best place to air grievances.

But, I did start a new thread, as suggested. I thought the other thread was deleted, I was mistaken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: